Scooby's Seizures: An Update

Guest Speedhoundz

Guest CassiesMom

Hi all,

I had posted a while back about my friend's greyhound, Scooby, who has been having seizures for a while now (http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=162423&hl=). I've been taking care of the guy since Friday because my friend and her husband went out of town. She told me he hadn't had a seizure in quite some time, but told me what to do just in case. Of course, he had to have one on my watch. It started last night around 11:30pm and went on for what seemed like forever--probably 20-25 minutes from start to finish. It presented in the same way it has in the past: peeing, drooling and panting, couldn't walk, face pulled tight (although that lasted only a minute or two). It was horrible to witness. Horrible. I tear up just thinking about it. Obviously, I'm still rattled.

He isn't on any meds for them, and my friend still has not had him tested for a TBD. I'm just so sad and frustrated because I feel like she's not doing everything she should for him. If he were my dog, I'd be much more proactive about his health. I just don't know what else to do; I can't force her to get him the medical help I feel he should be getting. I don't know why she won't take my advice. I know she loves him and does take him to the vet a lot. But I do wonder how much her vet knows about greyhounds.

He also limps pretty badly (x-rays showed old fractures that didn't heal properly), so I gave him a buffered aspirin around 2pm yesterday. That wouldn't have caused the seizure, would it? Is it possible the stress of being away from home triggered it?

How frightening for you. :bighug I know very well how it feels to watch them have a seizure. Scooter is a seizure hound.

This might be the time that Scooby's owners look into medication for him. He needs help for them. :(

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Guest SusanP

Since he's in your care, perhaps you could take him to the vet since he's had a seizure? It would be within the rights/duties of a caretaker to to that, wouldn't it? That way, you'd find out more of what's going on with his care... You could just tell your friend that the seizure scared you so badly you didn't want to take any chances.

Edited by SusanP

Guest CassiesMom
How long are you watching him? You need some meds. Cluster seizures are dangerous.

I can't say what I think. How can you own a dog and not properly take care of them :(

He's going home either tonight or tomorrow night. Probably tonight.

Can you tell me more about cluster seizures? Not sure what they are.

Guest CassiesMom
Since he's in your care, perhaps you could take him to the vet since he's had a seizure? It would be within the rights/duties of a caretaker to to that, wouldn't it? That way, you'd find out more of what's going on with his care... You could just tell your friend that the seizure scared you so badly you didn't want to take any chances.

Susan--excellent idea. I just called my vet about taking him in, but they need a letter of consent from my friend first. She didn't answer her cell phone; I'm assuming she's on her way back to VA from NC, so getting her to fax me a letter is probably not going to happen. I guess all I can do is beg her to take him in and get the TBD test and thyroid panel done and get him some meds. Sigh.

Our dog had seizures too. Cluster seizures are when they have several seizures over a short period of time. If the seizures come too close together they can cause real damage to the dog including brain damage and death. It sounds like this dog is only having one at a time. We saw a neurologist for Lucy. If you wait too long to get the seizures under control they can come more often and with more in the cluster. Usually a low dosage of phenobarb will do the trick. It is a relatively low priced drug and can do wonders. Unfortunately we ended up with Lucy being on 3 drugs and all of them only had short term results and we had to send her to the bridge. I can't understand why any one seeing their dog have seizures over a period of time won't check with their vet. It is a very scary thing to watch.

Here's the thing. Unless a hound is having more than a couple of seizures a month, most vets won't medicate. If they are having seizures once a week or more than they should have medication. Phenobarbital is very inexpensive. It's also a little harder on the liver than say Potassium Bromide. The downside to Potassium Bromide, it takes around 4 weeks to reach therapeutic levels. Saint unfortunately has to take both medications but he's doing wonderfully.

You may want to warn your friend of the dangers of cluster seizures though. They can be very dangerous. A hounds temperature rises sharply with each seizure so the danger of literally frying their brain is a possibility. Their blood sugar drops dramatically also which can cause them to seize more.

If this pup is having a seizure a week or more he should definately be put on meds.

Oh and for your own information, as horrible as seizures look, you can be assured that he is feeling no pain. The brain is short circuiting at such a high rate that he loses all senses, no taste, touch, hearing, sight or smell. He is totally unaware of what has happened, thus the confusion, stumbling and pacing. His panting is a way to cool himself down. You can apply a wet towel to him to help him cool down a bit afterward.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What a frustrating situation for you. I hope your friend will get a good evaluation for this pup. You are a great friend to be willing to care for an epileptic dog. My own sister won't keep Piper for fear he'll have a seizure on her watch and I can't resent her decision--seizures can be very frightening.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Oh how sad...we have a seizure babe also...Scooby really needs to be seen. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest CassiesMom

Ugh, I was so excited last night because the talk with my friend when she came to pick Scooby up went so well. She asked me to write down the Protatek info for her to give to her vet so she could have him tested for a TBD. I also thought I saw what could be a corn on one of his toes--on the same leg that he's been limping on. I printed out a document on corns that outlines what they are, what they look like (complete with picture), and how they're treated. I encouraged her to try a different vet, and she asked me to recommend someone. I did some digging and came up with 2 excellent options for her. One is about 30 miles away, but is the local "corn guru." The second vet is about 20 miles away, and owns a greyhound and was recommended by several greyhound adopters. I emailed my friend this morning with all the contact info and said I'd like to go with her to her appointment.

Well, she just replied to my message saying both vets are too far away. Too far! She has several weekdays off from work and could schedule an appt during non-rush hour times, making the drive about 25-40 minutes. In the DC area, that ain't nothin'. She plans on going back to her same vet--who in my opinion is not giving Scooby the proper care--on Friday. :angryfire

It took all I had not to fly off the handle bars and respond saying all kinds of mean little things. But I composed myself and asked that she please consider taking Scooby to one of the vets just once for a second opinion. I even offered to pay for the visit and pick him up and take him myself. Please say a prayer or two that it works!

Oh, Beth this makes me so sad for Scoobs and you both. He's so lucky to have someone like you looking out for him. Keep working on his mom if you feel comfortable with it. And who knows maybe she'll take all of the information you gave her to this vet and maybe just maybe he/she will actually listen. Let's hope. I will definitely be thinking about him.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest doodlebug

I feel bad you are in the middle of this Cassiesmom. I know how you feel, we were 1hr from our vet when our first grey had her first seizure and we rushed her to emergency not realizing what had happened. After every seizure we were at the vets. We just lost one to seizure clusters, my husband was in watching tv and called me as he had just witnessed our 9yr old have a single seizure, we rushed her to our vet without an appt. we did not care. all of her tests came back fine, we knew if it was a true seizure we were in for more. One night out of the blue a seizure that did not stop we rushed her to the evet they gave her meds did tests thought a shot and phenom should work by day 5 she was worse and had spent 3 of the 5 days at the vets. She was not here she was not our little girl, they said too much damage had been done so we had to let her go. We tried everything. Seizures are the worst to endure and we would do anything to not have one of our babies go through them. Good luck and I hope everything works out for Scooby and he will have a long good life.

I'm sorry for you & so sorry for Scooby. A corn, although very painful, is one thing - seizures are another. Are there other greyhound people that you might have in common that could talk to her also? Or a contact at her adoption group?

I also can't say how I really feel :angryfire although I have been in similiar situations. I hope she reconsiders.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis