Attack

Guest tanner

Guest tanner

Last night durning a walk a greyhound was attacked by a pit bull. The pitty jumped the fence, ran across the street and went for the neck. Lance the greyhound backed out of his leash and ran. Ran for his life!!!! He returned home ( about a 1/2 mile) bleeding from his feet and neck. Went to the e-vet. He had NO pads left on his feet.

Long story short, the animal control talk to the pitty's owner. She said the dog had attacked before and she should remove him from the home, as they live across from a school. She said she will take care of the bill but is questioning the loss of the greyhounds pads on his feet.

Does anyone have any experience on why a greyhound would injure his feet so badly?

Please respond as soon as you can. She is coming over and wants proof that this could happen.

Thanks so much for your help.

Deb

Happens when they run on a hard surface (including grass with hard dirt under it). Possibly because they run as fast as they do (they put a lot of oomph into each stride), but somebody like LynnM would probably have a better explanation as to why.

I'm so sorry houndie was attacked and hope he recovers well.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She should talk to the vet, or better even Animal Control should talk to the vet. I hope Lance heals quickly.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

We had that happen to a recent adopter.. dog backed out of her collar and ran 3 miles.... ran the skin off all her pads.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

She needs to talk to the vet. The vet knows what the poor hound's feet looked like, that should be proof enough.

Jake has cut his pads multiple times running on grass in the yard. I have know doubt that they could do some real damage if they were to run on concrete.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

We're so sorry that Lance was hurt. Thank God that he came home even more....Kisses to the tootsies and GENTLE hugs and a cookie would be nice....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest SoulsMom

Oh poor Lance! I'm glad he found his way home. I'm no expert, but it does sound as if it could happen if he was running on concrete or asphalt. I hope he heals ok :o

Guest HeartHound

Ask her what would HER bare unprotected feet look like after running a 1/2 mile on hot asphalt and hard dirt/rocks?!! The dog lives near a school and has attacked before, and is STILL getting out? :angryfire:headwall

If the hound was that scared, he was running for his life and could definately wear the pads from his feet. Poor thing, I hope he heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

One word: PAVEMENT.

If you hauled a** across hot road, hard dirt, gravel and who knows what else in bare feet, scared and not paying attention to where you were stepping, you'd be missing most of the hide from your feet, too.

Just the skid/road rash from the impact of a dog falling out of a pickup truck bed can do that (seen it too many times, changed the bandages many days).

Even lure coursing on overly dry ground can cause a lot of lost skin on the feet.

Lynn

Guest zippsmum

yup, happened to our zippy not long after we got him. He slipped his collar and took off at full tilt, ran the pads right off his feet...took months to heal. It is a direct result of the fear from the attack.....nothing to argue about.

Guest alannamac

Same here, Bandit's feet were a mess when we got him back (only 1 hour later).....I don't think a greyhound's foot pads are the same thickness and toughness as other dogs....the Pit owner might be thinking of regular dog's pads...most dogs can jog for miles on asphalt if they've been toughened up a little with regular short walks on asphalt.....not a grey.

edited to add....plus the grey is going 40+mph ....be sure to mention that!

Edited by alannamac

It can easily happen when approximately 80 lbs. of greyhound is traveling at 45 mph and placing all of the resulting force on such a small, tender area on a rough, unforgiving surface. He might as well have run his paws over a cheese grater. If he was running for his life, he probably didn't even feel it happening.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

Wouldn't the E-Vet be better Qualified to say this is possible . Why is the Pit-Owner doubting it ? There is No

Doubt in my Mind .Did SHE think , he got his Pad's off before he was Attacked or where does she think it

happen ?

Can we have an Update , how poor Lance is doing ??? :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest sheila

second paragraph under 'the training' here: http://www.dogscouts.com/sled.shtml

second and third paragraph under 'types of paw pad injuries' :http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/reducing-paw-pad-injuries-in-athletic-dogs-Page1.htm

Or you can just do what I would do. Show her your dogs feet and ask her this question: 'Do you really think I did this to my own dog just to get some money out of you?'

Sending prayers for Lance :hope thank God he came home. I would print out this thread plus the info in the link Sheila posted. It is insane that the woman wants you to prove how his pads were ripped off.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest KennelMom

I find it somewhat disgusting that the owner of a vicious and dangerous dog is questioning the injuries another sustained because of HER dog's attack. The nerve! <_<

Or you can just do what I would do. Show her your dogs feet and ask her this question: 'Do you really think I did this to my own dog just to get some money out of you?'

Exactly. It's owners like her that help BSL legislation get passed. :angryfire

At any rate - greyhounds can shred pads on grass (my own have done so while lure coursing and they are running at full speed) so, yes, running for their life on pavement can definitely shred pads. I don't know what kind of evidence the other owner is looking for. Big dog running with soft pads running 35+ mph on hot, rough pavement. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the pads may be injured.

I would show them pics or videos of a dog running a race to show how hard they dig their paws into the sand of the racetrack. I think that would be a good way to show how powerfully a GH uses its legs and feet when it runs at full speed on an optimal surface.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Ask her what would HER bare unprotected feet look like after running a 1/2 mile on hot asphalt and hard dirt/rocks?!! The dog lives near a school and has attacked before, and is STILL getting out? :angryfire:headwall

Owner is so stupid SHE should be euthanized!!! Her dog ATTACKED!!! Why the heck is she so questioning about the dogs pads?

Poor pup... :unsure

Edited by lauri

Oh poor Lance. :( Sending prayers for a swift recovery. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.