Newbie -- Sans Hound

Guest das1075

Guest das1075

Hello!

I've been clicking around the forum for about a month now. I just created my membership a week or so ago. I do not have a hound yet. I'm 22 and just graduated from college, so I'm waiting until I'm more financially stable in the spring to apply to my local group to adopt.

Mostly I've just been absorbing everything everyone says (and oogling the pictures of your beautiful pups). I keep wanting to post so I thought I might introduce myself before I went ahead with it.

So here I am!

There are a few acronyms I wish you guys could fill me in on...I think I know most of them...but just to make sure...

DH - Dear Husband (similarly, DS-Dear Son?, DBF-Dear boyfriend...etc)

ETS - My guess is Extreme Tounge Syndrome

FTH - Not a clue....? I've seen it before the names of some of the greys...Is it a track thing?

I think there are more, but I can't remember them right now....

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with all of you on the forum!

~Danielle (das1075)

FTH = Follow That Hound... a preadoption group, someone soon will give you the website.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest gretzky

Hi and welcome from MA. I was confused with all the acronyms myself when I first got here. I still have to think about some before I get it. You're right about DH etc. and ETS can either be extreme or escaped. As Blambdin said, someone will direct you to the web site for FTH but the short version is when a litter is born you can apply to preadopt one of the pups. When they are done racing they come home to you. Of course, some of them have couch radar and might not race for long so they could be retired to the couch earlier than others. You'll learn a lot here, keep reading and posting.

Guest smeghead_666

Hi Danielle, There is a popular mis-conception that buying your first home, car or getting married is the biggest decision in your life ...... Not so !, getting your first grey is ! because they are so adictive.

In the year 2067 you will probly still be making posts on here with a huge signature at the bottom of each post proudly naming the 20 or so hounds that have chosen you to be their Mum and have loved unconditionally over the years along with carefully edited pictures of each one doing silly things.

or is that just me ?

Good luck with your choice of companion and all credit to you for making the decision slowly and thoughtfully.

Mark & Hounds (oh yes and the other humans living here) UK

Hi there from Boston!

I just adopted my first this May and it's been the best experience ever. It's too bad you have to wait 'till the spring to adopt though. Have you thought about volunteering for your local adoption group? That'd let you hang out with the dogs. Or, maybe you could foster.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest VanillaBean
Hi there from Boston!

I just adopted my first this May and it's been the best experience ever. It's too bad you have to wait 'till the spring to adopt though. Have you thought about volunteering for your local adoption group? That'd let you hang out with the dogs. Or, maybe you could foster.

Hi from Sandusky Ohio! This is sort of the route I took to adopting. I first started hanging out at the local Meet and Greets. Then, after a couple of months, I started fostering (after home visit etc). The 3rd foster I flunked on and VanillaBean is now a part of my family!!! The perfect pooch!

Guest crazy4greys
:wave:welcome2 from CT! I hope you find GT helpful to you while you patiently wait until Spring for your grey. Good suggestion to volunteer with your group while you wait. Then you can get all the grey lovin' you want! :lol

Guest das1075

I am doing some volunteering with my local group. They have all been super nice and helpful.

I'm bummed I have to wait until the Spring as well. But I know I'll be in the best financial position by then. I'd hate to get a pup, find out it needs expensive vet care and not be able to provide it for him/her.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!