Alternative To Teeth Cleaning

Guest MySkye

Guest MySkye

Before I ask my very grey savvy vet, can some of you let me know what the alternatives (if any) to teeth cleaning (going under) there might be.

My Inferno is not a good candidate for being put under.

Two back teeth have some gunk, but not red gums and we brush with electric toothbrushes often? He is 8.

Thanks.

Guest MySkye

Um, should have posted this.

I have the only dog in the world who will not eat these yummy things. I have tried off and on again for the 6 years I have had him. Nothing. I have gone so far as to shother them with cat food. Nothing.

Sigh.

Inferno.

I have the only dog in the world who will not eat these yummy things.

:lol I'm sorry to hear that - it sure would make it less work if he would.

How about some nylabones? I smear peanut butter on the chewed ends, otherwise the dogs don't think they're very interesting. Not really sure what else to suggest, sorry.

I've heard of greys being okay with doing the cleaning while they are awake and alert (no anaesthetic/sedation at all). Guess it would depend on yours and your vets comfort with it.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I've had good luck with CET Hextra chews maintaining their teeth, but they won't do much if they need a scaling.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Don't let the teeth be cleaned awake. Big mistake. Multiple posts on why not to if you do a search.

Options:

1. Chews (you mentioned that he doesn't like raw meaty bones; consider other dental chewables that may be beneficial from Dentabones to Greenies to CET Hextra chews, etc.)

2. Water additives (Aquadent, Oxyfresh, Breathalyzer Plus)

3. Diet (there are prescription dental diets that can help; Royal canin, aka Waltham, probably has the best one but others are made by Purina and Hill's Science Diet)

4. Daily brushing

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest act2redux
Turkey necks do a great job with teeth cleaning. :colgate

I keep "hearing" about turkey necks...I haven't read anything about them...so are you all talking about raw turkey necks???

Like the ones I pull out of the bird to boil and make gravy out of ???? Do I understand you to mean you somehow buy these and hand them to the fuzzy kids..RAW??? If thats correct(?) how often and are there any potential health issues ?? I have always heard that you should NEVER give bones ....??? :blink:

Turkey necks do a great job with teeth cleaning. :colgate

I keep "hearing" about turkey necks...I haven't read anything about them...so are you all talking about raw turkey necks???

Yes.

Like the ones I pull out of the bird to boil and make gravy out of ????

Yes. It's cheaper if you don't buy the whole bird, though.

Do I understand you to mean you somehow buy these and hand them to the fuzzy kids..RAW???

Yes. The way we live- so far divested from the farm- it's sometimes a bit odd to think that the animals from which our charges are descended were not, in fact, vegetarians that grazed on kibble trees sometimes. But the dentition does indicate that they are, in fact, carnivores. :)

If thats correct(?) how often and are there any potential health issues ?? I have always heard that you should NEVER give bones ....??? :blink:

Cooked poultry (and beef, and presumably other animals as well) bones- NEVER feed. They are brittle, and form sharp, penetrating shards that can be life-threatening.

Uncooked bones are generally safe. We've feed turkey necks up to 7 days/week (usually half a tom turkey neck plus a couple of chunks of beef heart), and they love it. The teeth look great.

In terms of potential health issues- there sure are, same as with any meat product. They should be fresh, thawed (versus frozen and therefore capable of shattering teeth), thawed in the refrigerator (or in water), same as any meat prepared for human consumption- except for the cooking bit.

There's more in the "Food and dietary discussion" forum, down the hall and to the right. Read up on it and get educated as to the risks and benefits, particularly if they are being fed as anything more than an occasional snack.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest minzenon

1 teaspoon of listerine (yep the human stuff) in a cup of water and dab/ gently rub on gum margins and teeth. Works unbelievealby well. Oh and my vet told me to do this and now every one I know is doing it and their dogs teeth are perfect.