Bodie Goes Back To The Vet Tomorrow

Guest Bodie

We have, after getting an estimate, decided to take Bodie back to OSU for his chemotherapy instead of to a veterinary oncologist who is about an hour and a half away. Not only will he be getting the finest of care, it will cost 1/3 of what it does at the area oncologist. Bodie is much stronger now, and I think he can make the trip. I want the best for him.

I spoke with his oncologist at OSU, Dr. McMahon, and she wants Bodie to begin chemo as soon as possible since he is already one week late in starting, due to his setback (skin dying around the incision necessitating a skin graft). However, there is one area of his stitches, where they really had to pull the new skin together and re-fit it, where it just won't heal. There is a 1/4 inch area that is raw. Normally, they would not begin chemo until that is healed, but Dr. McMahon is concerned that the cancer may be spreading and since we are already a week behind, she is willing to begin chemo with that area not completely healed.

However, she wants my local vet to look at it tomorrow and make sure there is absolutely no signs of infection, and she wants the local vet to give an opinion on whether Bodie looks ready for chemo. So we have an appt. for tomorrow. Send out some prayers, white lights, and good thoughts, that the area will look good and Bodie can start chemo next week. We already have an appt. on Tuesday for chemo at OSU - we made it with the idea that keeping positive thoughts will make Bodie heal.

Bodie is still crying while he eats - even with soft food. Lew and I are pretty sure the problem isn't in his throat as he takes treats from our hand with no problem. After watching him eat tonight, we are beginning to wonder if the remaining staples that they put in at OSU are pulling when he stretches his head out while swallowing. He's a grab and gulp kind of eater. The staples would normally have come out several days ago, but with his setback they are leaving them in with the stitches from his second surgery. They might be really starting to pull by now. If it's not that - we are stumped. I'll ask the vet to look at it tomorrow.

Other than that, Bodie is starting to get around quite well. He is still hesitant, but much better than a week ago. And he is looking spiffy, too! Lew has been having fun shopping at Old Navy for dog t-shirts - he came home with two more yesterday - and I have to admit that besides working very well at holding the maxipad, they make Bodie look really spiffy! Today he is wearing a blue and green striped rugby shirt with a white coller and 3 buttons down the front. My daughter says he looks like he belongs at the country club! Hopefully, we will be able to find some time this weekend to take and post some pictures of Bodie in his new wardrobe.

Keep Bodie in your thoughts for tomorrow - I so want to get him started on chemo before those cancer cells sneak into his lungs.

Edited by Bodie

Lots and lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending tons of prayers and white healing light to your beautiful brave pupper.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Sending prayers for Bodie for good results tomorrow and for his chemo treatments.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest vahoundlover

The image of Bodie in his rugby shirt, put a big smile on my face :wub::wub::wub: I hope we can see some pics soon.

Many prayers for a good vet visit today and that chemo can begin as scheduled :grouphug

Bless his precious heart. Many prayers coming your way. Since Bodie can take treats from your hand without crying...could you hand or spoon feed him his meals? Just wondering if he would be more comfortable that way. Sending the most gentle hugs to handsome Bodie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending bunches of hugs, prayers and healing thoughts.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

We've been to the vet and the report is Bodie still has seeping and inflammation, which I knew about, but the vet thinks he will be OK to start chemo. However, another vet from OSU called and said they think Bodie should have a skin culture, because if he has any kind of infection in the wound, they don't want to start chemo. So, back we go to the vet at 5:00 tonight for a skin culture. I don't have a good feeling about this as we know Bodie is already fighting (and winning) the battle against a long-term staph infection that he was fighting before we knew he had osteo. So I'm afraid that will show up in the readings and they won't schedule chemo. If they don't, should I ask to strart him on artimitisan (sp?)? All I can mentally see is hundreds of little cancer cells multiplying inside him while we wait...

Sending hugs and all fingers crossed.

I know you're most worried about the cancer (yegads, who wouldn't be, eh?!) ... but your vets are right to make sure he's clear of infection first. The chemo will greatly impair his ability to fight off infection so you really don't want him to have one starting out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.