Artemisinin Question

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

I use Arte with my boy diagnosed with osteo. I have heard different ways to give it and different dosages etc. How do you give it (with food, without) and how much do you give? How much does your hound weigh? and what other supplements are good for a dog diagnosed with osteo?

Guest paulamariez

My vet just gave us glucosamine, chrondroitin and MSM combo supplements. There's also a bunch of other vitamin/herb things in there too. It was expensive, I thought, but I swear my Tiger has quit licking his joints on his front legs since he started taking it a couple months! But I'm no expert, just thought I'd put my two cents in! I'm sure there's folks out there that know a heck of a lot more than I do, being that we've just started these a couple months ago!

Dylan was on Arte. I gave him two pills daily for like two weeks and then he just got two pills on Sat. and Sunday.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Winnie just gets 1 pill a day, and she weighs about 65 pounds. I have heard different things about when to give it, with food and without. I kinda split the difference and give it to her about an hour after dinner. I friend read that you should do 5 days on and 2 days off, and I started doing that. She's been on it 3 years now, so I guess I'm doing something right! We use the glucosamine chondroitan MSM. I also give her pycnogenol, another immune system booster, that I get at Vitamin World, in the morning. And I'm a firm believer in fish oil. She gets it, DH and I take it too.

Keep up your good work---you've been doing great.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

There are 2 main options in using Artemisinin and OSU is researching them.

1. Give a low dose daily.

2. Give a mega-dose once weekly.

I'm not sure if OSU has any results on which therapy has been more effective yet but I'm eager to find out. I would email OSU and see what they are recommending as they are doing active research:

greyosu@osu.edu

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have just sent an email off, asking about dose and how best to administer it.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Bodie's oncologist at OSU put him on 100mg of artemisinin every day. (Bodie is 70 pounds.) She said the important thing to do is to give it in between meals, several hours after he eats and several hours before he eats again. And he is to have it with a fatty substance like peanut butter or cheese, to help it digest.

She told me the reason to give it alone is that artemisinin bonds with the iron in cancer cells and somehow kills them. If you give it with a meal, the artemisinin bonds with the iron in the food instead of the iron in the cancer cell.

Dr. McMahon works closely with Dr. Couto, so I presume she knows what she is talking about.

Edited by Bodie

i give it to the boys 4 hours after they eat at night

i give them 200 mg

morty is a super picky eater so i give it to him with a little bit of the good ok kind of chocolate

saullie gets it with cream cheese

they are both on a super low carb diet evo

they sometimes will get diaherra so i give them pumpkin everyday

dr cuoto said 100 mg but for some reason i have decided 200 mg

Edited by cowpantslady

Iris

www.ligc.org

Right - I'm off to look - thank youuuu :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!