Annals Of Weird Symptoms Vs. Outcome

Earlier this week Zema decided that she would not go down the stairs (which is how we normally get to the fenced-in back yard). Up the stairs, fine. Down the stairs, nope, not happening, period, the end.

No evident soreness of body, limb, spine, mouth, etc.

No change in gait.

No change in other behavior.

No reluctance to eat or drink.

No elevated or depressed temperature.

No reluctance to try her level best to knock her momma flat during exciting moments (such as the prospect of a walk or a car ride).

No problem walking down the hill on leash and hanging out in the back yard from there.

No reluctance to dig around at stinky things in said yard, and roll in them with great joy.

Pee and poop normal.

Everything normal, until this evening when she seemed ... odd. Low and odd, and not quite responsive to the normal stimuli. So I popped her in the car and headed to the vet. In the course of getting to the vet, I found out what the problem was. Can you guess?

Not even going to try?

Zema has a UTI. She hadn't peed since noon today, had had her supper with water, wouldn't pee before we got in the car. Before we walked into the vet's office, she decided to pee. For the first time since all this started, abnormally scanty dark pee, which I cleverly caught in a handy container and vet cleverly tested. Bingo.

Poor girlie. She does talk, she just doesn't enunciate quite clearly enough.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest chigal950

Wow, I don't think I'd have figured that out either! Hope she's feeling better quickly.

And thanks for sharing, this is one of those stories that we keep in the back of our minds and some day someone else's hound will do exactly the same thing...hopefully we'll have an a-ha moment.

Poor little girly....those are SO uncomfortable. Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest IrskasMom

How is Zema today ?? Inquiring Minds want to know ???? :dunno

Some extra Hugs to Zema :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug and a Cookie :dogcookie

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest IndyTwister

Cayman woke up suddenly and started looking at his abdomen. He then proceeded to only want to walk backwards, often staring at his sides and then would just lay down (sphinx style). We were really freaked out - bloat, stroke, etc. all running through our minds. $400 trip to the e-vet (x-rays, blood tests, urinalysis, etc.) and it was a bad UTI. Those were his first symptoms - no accidents, etc. preceding all of this...

Wow, I don't think I'd have figured that out either! Hope she's feeling better quickly.

And thanks for sharing, this is one of those stories that we keep in the back of our minds and some day someone else's hound will do exactly the same thing...hopefully we'll have an a-ha moment.

Exactly! I thought of you this morning when Flint woke we up with lots of sneezing; I remembered your story about the grass in the nose because he was eating grass on his walk last night. Now I also have to remember not walking down stairs and/or only walking backwards as possible UTI symptoms.

UTI.... her kidneys on down were sore. Looks sort of like back pain but not quite.

How close was I?

Nailed it, of course! :lol

Next time -- if there is one -- I'll grab a sample and get her in sooner. The "no stairs" symptom was confusing partly due to rain and thunderstorms. Girlie didn't really want to go outside unless she had to, which is an "all things normal" mode for her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

After read something like this, I'm glad I have to walk the puppies around the block to get them to do their business. Helps us monitor bladder & bowel!

Wasn't even remotely close. Was at wrong end of dog.

Good catch Batmom!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor Zema :grouphug I hate UTI's.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Is Zema an oldster? I ask because the human elderly are notorious for presenting with very atypical symptoms when they have a UTI - confusion is a big one. Any changes in behavior, mental status, level of alertness, etc. - always look at the pee first! ;)

She's only just 9, and she has always been weird and hard to figure out. I took the pee cup along because I figured we'd want a full workup and if she peed before we went in, we could rule that out .... Mad luck.

The only thing I know about her for sure is, if she ever doesn't eat, we'll be off to the vet INSTANTLY! :lol