Rizzo Yelping Loudly For Over A Day

Guest RooRoo

Guest RooRoo

Since Monday morning (been over 24 hours now) Rizzo screams and yelps whenever he tries to lie on his side - which is the position he is in 99% of the time on the sofa, floor, hanging out all day, etc.

Once he does get into a reclining position, he stays there shaking for a bit, almost like he has to wait for the pain to pass. As soon as he tries to move (head and 2 front legs up ok) his rear quarters he starts crying and yelping and then gives up and puts his head back down to get relief

Once up (he HAD to go the bathroom and eat eventually yesterday)- usually 3-4 tries up and down yelping, when his is on all fours he walks, trots and relieves himself he acts completely normal, no hesitation

He goes up and down 12 stairs no problem

It's just when he tries to get up or down from a supine position he screams so loud over and over. :(

He's done this a few times before over the years but he yelps once and then it's over (maybe a muscle cramp or something).

I can touch his limbs and manipulate them and he doesn't flinch, no reaction. There is no visible swelling in any area.

Right now he is in the "sphinx" position; as soon as his butt tries to go left or right to touch the ground he yells. Poor baby.

I was going to take him in to the vet this morning. I will explain what is going on but I don't know how much they can diagnose when all he does is stand up at the vets, which as I've mentioned, is a position that he seems fine with.

I guess I'm just talking out loud here, I don't want him to be in pain but then I think if they don't see anything they'll just give him some pain med and mask the problem, if there really is one... :unsure and I really don't want that Rymadyl stuff in him.

Do you think I should just take him in or give it another day to see if he gets better on his own because maybe it's a sprain/strain that will relieve itself. I don't think xrays would be in order - or maybe? Can arthritis present itself so instantaneously?

Sorry so long, I don't know what else to do :blink:

Thanks for listening....

Take him to the vet asap.

Tramadol is an alternative. Many greys seem to do ok on oral Metacam and as a NSAID it has half the serious effect of adverse reactions as rimadyl, deramaxx and etogesic. Every dog is different. If he is given a NSAID, you should do blood work to check liver and kidneys.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

PLEASE !!!!! GET YOUR DOG INTO THE VET ASAP

If you were in that type of pain & couldn't rest you would bee-line it to the emergency room.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Take him to the vet asap.

Tramadol is an alternative. Many greys seem to do ok on oral Metacam and as a NSAID it has half the serious effect of adverse reactions as rimadyl, deramaxx and etogesic. Every dog is different. If he is given a NSAID, you should do blood work to check liver and kidneys.

:nod:nod :nod

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Maria,

Get him to the vet. He shouldn't have pain for this long. Request tramadol,I have a standing order for Gus and I feel it's safer than Rimadyl - and request that Dr. Walker see him. He'll find it in manipulation. he was very good about finding Battle's back issue.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
The vet can probably tell what's going on without a demonstration. I hope you took him in!

Yes, I believe she is at the vet now.

Keeping good thoughts for Rizzo.

Guest RooRoo

Thanks for all the responses. Just got back from the vet...

They can't find anything.... :dunno

Rizzo did not make any noises during his aggressive manipulation by 2 doctors (one is a greyhound guru and ortho doc) so Rizzo didn't give them any help on what the problem is.... :headwall

We tried to get him to re-enact his reclining position to up to all fours and it wouldn't work. Rizzo was silent. So submissive and gentle and patient as so many greys are during medical exams. They bent him like a pretzel: neck, legs, head, feet and so forth.

I feel like a fool but you are all correct that better safe than sorry to take him. It was like I made the whole thing up because he seemed perfectly fine the entire 45 minutes he was there. :blush Kind of like your hair comes out great the day you're going in for a haircut.

I am going to video Rizzo if and when it happens again and I'll bring in the footage to the Doctor. So no meds for now but she said if he does it any more today that she will get him some pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds too and I'll just pick them up. I have to bring Kiwi in this afternoon for her annual anyway at which point I will get the meds (and pay) I left without out paying Oooppps :lol .

Right now he is sitting sphinx style in the tv room. I'm waiting for it to happen again. :( I feel bad about yesterday. I should have taken him then but .... bad mama I am

Kerri- thanks for the phone call- much appreciated. ;)

I'll keep you all posted

ETA a picture of Rizzo because he's so darn cute!!Rizzoincamojune2007.jpg

Edited by RooRoo

Guest Sniffy

Hi there,

I'm glad you took him to the vet....when reading your intial post I was scared that he might have an abdominal problem (some of which don't show up on x-rays). But if they squeezed him good and didn't re-create the pain, then it's probably now what I had feared.

(Rizzo, stop scaring your mom like that!)

Sounds like a variation of the "repairman syndrome"... Glad he seems OK. Videoing if it happens again is a great idea.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

How is he doing now? Going to the vet can get those endorphins flowing and they may not react to the pain. When my grey had a similar reaction, it turned out his neck was sore. I figured that out by showing him a kibble (or you can use a treat, Mayhem's not picky) and moving it above his head, to each side, and below. He didn't want to follow the kibble down, and when I tried again he bent his neck down a bit and yelped (I felt so bad for making him do that!). We had him take it easy for a bit and within 48 hours the pain was gone, he was just a little stiff.

Hope Rizzo is feeling all better - he sure is a cutie!

The vets love working on my Nana, she screams if you look at her wrong. But Diamond on the other hand, you can beat her with a baseball bat and she won't utter a thing.

Stoic with doctors I don't need.

I hope you can film Rizzo doing what he's doing and the vets can help with that then.

Poor baby. :( I hope that things calm down. Angel Sophia did this also...hers was a bad disc in her neck. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Poor Rizzo, the picture shows what a sweetheart he is. I hope that the pain does not come back.

I also wonder about his neck. My Molly had some disc problems that would cause her to yelp but once they fused she no longer had the pain.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Winterwish

That's a very good idea to try to be ready with the video just in case it happens again. Sending all good thoughts for Rizzo's feeling better,he is totally adorable, :wub::hope:dogcookie

Guest CyndiW

Love the picture. He is a sweetheart. Alex was yipping getting up and down a few months ago and it was a couple of discs that were bothering him. The fact that Rizzo was fine once standing just reminded me of how Alex was. He had me stumped because I pushed all over his body and had no reaction but I wasn't going to push on his spine. The vet found it right away. However, if your vets manipulated all over his body and no reaction, hopefully it was just something like a pulled muscle that corrected on its own. Sometimes they can be so hard to read - if only they could talk.

Guest magicmom

Our dog Magic is doing the EXACT same thing last night and now today! It is uncanny, it is like you are describing him. Did you ever get any sort of relief for Rizzo? I hope you dog is feeling better, if he is, can you please tell me what made him better? We have a vet appointment on Monday, I wish it were sooner, but we have no where to take him on a Sunday.

Guest magicmom

Just a quick update to our post above - Magic had a pulled muscle in his neck. He's on some anti-inflamatory drugs and is back to his old self. Hopefully this is of use to other folks in the future who experience similar symptoms.