Expressed Anal Glands?

Guest LindsaySF

Guest VanillaBean

One of my dogs had an AG infection. Maybe it ruptured, because he had to have surgery. But, this was before I read that you can put poultices on it, which will draw out the infection and heal quite nicely. Will remember for the funture, for sure! Good Luck!

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler had a chronic problem with his AGs getting infected. We'd go to the vet about every three months to have it treated. Doc would express the glands, fill them up with Panalog, express a second time, and then fill again with Panalog and then leave it in. If the infection had progressed further, he would sometimes prescribe an oral antibiotic (clindamycin, most often, I think.).

His only symptom would often be licking of the anal area. We knew that when we started to see "swirly" patches in the fur on his rump, it was time to head for Doc's.

Guest LindsaySF
But, this was before I read that you can put poultices on it, which will draw out the infection and heal quite nicely.

Can you tell me more about these poultices?

Whistler had a chronic problem with his AGs getting infected. We'd go to the vet about every three months to have it treated. Doc would express the glands, fill them up with Panalog, express a second time, and then fill again with Panalog and then leave it in. If the infection had progressed further, he would sometimes prescribe an oral antibiotic (clindamycin, most often, I think.).

His only symptom would often be licking of the anal area. We knew that when we started to see "swirly" patches in the fur on his rump, it was time to head for Doc's.

The licking was Teagan's only symptom as well. He is on 2 oral antibiotics right now, Clindamycin and Amoxicillin. Hopefully this clears up!

I got a poop cup today to stop him from licking too much. :)

~Lindsay~

Guest VanillaBean
But, this was before I read that you can put poultices on it, which will draw out the infection and heal quite nicely.

Can you tell me more about these poultices?

I can, but it will take me a couple of days to find the information and I am not allowed to PM yet. Sooo, will post here what I find out. I just know the article said there was really no reason for surgery when you could use certain herbs etc to draw out the poisons.

Edited by VanillaBean