Melatonin For Bald Buns

I had Arlie at the dermatologist's today for another reason, and she mentioned that melatonin sometimes helps fur grow back on greyhound buns. Apparently it doesn't work for all dogs, and when it does things can get worse before they get better.

Sounds like one of those "can't hurt to try it" things but before I do, was wondering if anyone else had been down this road, and if yes, with what result.

Thanks as always for your input.

Guest david_42

Melatonin is a sleep hormone. I've used it for years and still no hair. Of course, with a greyhound how could you tell it was making them sleepy?

Since it really makes no difference if your hound has fuzzy buns or not, why bother? You never know what sort of other things you're messing with!

Naked cheeks are just greyhound character!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlackandBrindle

We used it for Spud's separation anxiety and to make Sadie a bit calmer on long car rides, but I can say that Spud did not regrow any fur :P

(Greylover97 I love your new siggie!)

Guest spider9174

totally unrelated...but i give my ferrets melatonin. yup...i have a grey and ferrets. anyhow...melatonin is frequently given to ferrets that have lost of hair on their tails and body. usually , the lost of hair is a symptom of adrenal cancer and for some reason the melatonin will help hair regrowth.

Menoxadyl (sp??) maybe? That's what's used to grow hair for people. It was originally a med for high blood pressure, however, so I'd be cautious on using it on a dog who would injest what you rub on him.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I would check with your vet first. Melatonin has been used for a very light sedative in dogs for thunderphobia and separation anxiety.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Our vet recommended melatonin for balding. Chewie did regrow hair, but I'm not convinced it was related to the melatonin. He had a hairy butt, lost it, and regrew it. I think his issue was seasonal, though.

Some greys regrow hair once they're adopted, others don't. Does it really matter if she has fur on her hiney or not?

Two of mine are bald butts, two are not. I've never given it much thought :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Let me just clear one thing up: I don't mind the bald butt - we were at the derm for an unrelated reason (Arlie has a chronic irritation issue with her vulva) and the derm, seeing the balding thighs, volunteered the melatonin info. Arlie did not have much balding until this summer. So I thought if the fur didn't grow back by winter, and if the experiences with melatonin here had been positive, then I might give the melatonin a try since it's pretty innocuous, and the derm said at the balding butt dosage, it wouldn't have a sedative effect.

Guest DoofBert

If the bald butt is not related to thyroid or any other medical condition.... why bother. Bert has a beautiful bald butt....and that is what makes him my Bert!

It sounds like her balding is seasonal. Every summer Jake loses all the hair on his butt and thighs. It comes back in the winter and is nice and thick come spring.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest savvyprchick

Chase has started to regrow hair on his bald butt in the last few months simply by a change of food. I started using a salmon-based food because Lulu developed allergies to chicken. I think the fish oil is doing it :)