Update On Monty's Allergies And The New Derm Vet

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Sorry if this is long.

As some of you know, we have fired Monty's old derm vet for what I would call basic NEGLECT.

We saw a new derm vet today at U Penn who was great. He is taking us back almost to square one. Monty does not need to repeat his allergy testing but we are going back to a food trial (with IVD Potato and Rabbit, has anyone fed this?) and working on his severe skin infections and what the new vet is fairly sure is iatrogenic Cushings from his Temaril P and his Genesis spray. He was SORT OF MORTIFIED that the other derm vet had not noticed that the sores that he has (calcinosis cutis?) and his skin thinning and the other skin changes are ALL SUGGESTIVE of Cushings.

I want to throw up.

We spent thousands on his care and it turns out I have been poisoning him twice a day with the medicine.

Anyway, Monty looks like a soldier back from the war today. He had multiple skin biopsies (including one with multiple stitches on his hoo-hoo, OUCH) and he is in his Elizabethan collar looking MIZ-A-BLE. Stitches come out in 10 days. Did your dogs keep their E collars on?

We are weaning the Temaril P.

His new meds are:

Hydroxyzine 50 mg, 2 tabs BID, and vitamin E.

He is continuing his antibiotic (Zenequin) which seems to be working.

He is also going to get topical flea preventive every 2-3 weeks instead of every 4 weeks.

no more treats, no nothing, just IVD Potato and Rabbit.

The new vet is as unimpressed with his dx of Hypothyroid as Dr. Couto was, but he doesn't want to change 1,000 things at once so Monty will continue his thyroid med for the next two weeks and reeval at that point.

We are also supposed to bathe him twice weekly with Chlorhexiderm, however he can't get his stitches wet and he has 4 sites, so I think we have to bag that for now.

Anyway, maybe our experience can help others with allergic dogs, as I am soon going to be an expert on this.

Edited by greytmonty

I hope Monty is finally on the right track now and headed towards healing. The skin biopsies should give a good idea of what's going on. I know how you feel about wanting to throw up. I felt the same way when Dr. Couto immediately took Bodie off his allergy medicine and said it had a number of long term side effects that Bodie's first derm/vet never mentioned to me. And I felt the same way this week when I realized that Bodie's staph infection has improved dramatically in the past two weeks. When he had his surgery two weeks ago he went off the autoimmune serum that the first derm/vet prescribed. To think that I might have been injecting him with something that was actually creating a problem instead of fixing it. I also spent thousands for nothing.

For those with dogs with allergies - my only suggestion is to go to a doctor who is recommended by a veterinary teaching hospital and is willing to work with that hospital. Allergies are so tricky and I think they need a vet who is totally up to date on the subject and willing to accept new ideas.

Good luck with Monty and his E-collar and give him some sushi to appease him.

re: E Collar, you can remove it for walks. I didn't and that made it more difficult, until I realized he won't scratch at his eyes if all 4 feet are on the ground. Duh!

John E is a patient at U of Penn for anxiety, and I couldn't be more pleased. I think the price equates with most other veterinary practices and you have the opinions of a whole team as opposed to just one doctor.

Good luck and I hope everything will get on the right track now.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greytmonty

Thanks everyone. I WILL take off that darn E collar for walks, I just tried to walk him and he kept crashing the collar into things as he tried to sniff, and ended up looking more and more depressed.

No sushi for Monty, however.

no NOTHING, just the prescribed food. for 8 weeks.

Poor Monty, he loves his treats and no more for now.....

Oops, that's right - no treats with the new diet - how about some ear scritches instead... as long as you aren't scratching any of the itchy areas. Poor Monty. All the good things in life (for a greyhound) are unavailable to him now. I guess lots of long walks (without the E collar) are the only thing...

Guest greytmonty

Oops, that's right - no treats with the new diet - how about some ear scritches instead... as long as you aren't scratching any of the itchy areas. Poor Monty. All the good things in life (for a greyhound) are unavailable to him now. I guess lots of long walks (without the E collar) are the only thing...

Monty says please give his sushi (and bananas) to Bodie for now. :colgate

Mommy will buy Monty a new squeaky toy in the meantime..... :P

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Karen :bighug to you . All you have been through with your prior vet just trying to do the VERY BEST for Monty at all times, which is what he so deserves.

Poor Monty, give him butt scritches from me, and no sushi or treats, but an extra piece of kibble from your hand while he is getting his ears scritched can work wonders. :)

Good luck with the e-collar. It freaked Kingsley out so much that he would run into doors and walls with it, which would frighten him, so he would dart off in a panic and fall... not a good scene. So we just did 24 hour constant surveillance with him until the stitches came out!

So glad to hear he is on the road to a real diagnosis and recovery!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Good grief, Karen, you guys have been through the wringer! Hope you get Monty under control soon, poor baby.

:grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh Monty, we're rooting for you buddy. Hopefully you're on your way to the right answers now.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thanks everyone. I WILL take off that darn E collar for walks, I just tried to walk him and he kept crashing the collar into things as he tried to sniff, and ended up looking more and more depressed.

see if he'll eat raw sliced potatoes. or, try slicing them and baking them and see if you get some kind of edible potato type chips.

we're on the IVD duck and potato for IBD, but fortunately I know Misty can tolerate oatmeal so we bake cookies out of baby oatmeal, "adult" oatmeal and water. (they're VILE but she eats them). I've also been lucky enough to find duck jerky at our high end pet food shop...but I've never seen rabbit jerky. You might be able to buy rabbit meat and bake it in to jerky strips.

be creative :colgate but careful! :unsure

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

You guys have been tthrough a real ordeal, but now it sounds like he's gotten the vet he deserves. Only one of my girls ever needed an e-collar and she hated it. Scared the daylights out of her and she could still reach her wound.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Poor Monty, how awful for him (and you). :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greytmonty

see if he'll eat raw sliced potatoes. or, try slicing them and baking them and see if you get some kind of edible potato type chips.

we're on the IVD duck and potato for IBD, but fortunately I know Misty can tolerate oatmeal so we bake cookies out of baby oatmeal, "adult" oatmeal and water. (they're VILE but she eats them). I've also been lucky enough to find duck jerky at our high end pet food shop...but I've never seen rabbit jerky. You might be able to buy rabbit meat and bake it in to jerky strips.

be creative :colgate but careful! :unsure

thanks for the great ideas. Our local pet store which is high end has raw food, I am going to see if they have rabbit meat which I could bake.

The potato chips are a great idea, and since potato is in his food, it must be "allowed" by the vet!

Oh my!

Poor Monty. I second the potato chips. I bake thick slices in the oven, or just break down and buy the baked ones sometimes for Hogan.

I get sweet potato chews from BooMooandDoo's store in Seattle, along with a bunch of other allergy treats. I don't know if she has rabbit, but I know maybe later Monty can have fish and duck.

Hugs for both of you.

I think you can get canned rabbit meat and mix it with instant potatoes and bake something stinky for him too.

Oh, poor Monty, I hope everything works out with the new vet. Give him some scritches for me.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest greytexplorer

Hey Karen,

I was wondering if (and no one has brought it up prolly cuz they're more pc than me) you're gonna tell the fired vet what they did WRONG and remind them that their incompetence $et you back quite a bit for NOTHING?

I would, but then, that's just me. Monty, I hope the next 8 weeks FLY BY for you! :kiss2

Pat

(not pc since 9/12/01) :nod

eta== remember the Veterinarians motto: First, do no harm.............. :angryfire

Edited by greytexplorer

Guest DeweytheGreyt

I am so sorry that you went through such an ordeal with your first derm vet. I certainly feel your pain. But I am thrilled to hear that you have a vet that has a vested interest in getting your handsome boy on the road to recovery. Hugs to you both, I know it has been such a long road.