Cleaning Ears...

Guest AlmondJoy

Guest nerak254

When Aruba came, she did come with some stuff to clean her ears. A couple of days ago, I was looking at their ears, and I saw some waxy, brownish stuff in one of her ears. I put the stuff in and massaged it then used qtips to clean the stuff out. What is that stuff and why is it only in one ear? No one has had ear problems before so this is new to me.

Guest Hokiebuck
When Aruba came, she did come with some stuff to clean her ears. A couple of days ago, I was looking at their ears, and I saw some waxy, brownish stuff in one of her ears. I put the stuff in and massaged it then used qtips to clean the stuff out. What is that stuff and why is it only in one ear? No one has had ear problems before so this is new to me.

Not sure why its on one side, but be careful with q-tips. I used them at first and Cash ended up with an infection. The vet said I was probably pushing the wax down with the q-tips. She suggested cotton balls instead and not to try to go too deep.

Guest nerak254

Not sure why its on one side, but be careful with q-tips. I used them at first and Cash ended up with an infection. The vet said I was probably pushing the wax down with the q-tips. She suggested cotton balls instead and not to try to go too deep.

I think I was pretty careful and didn't go too deep because I know it can cause a problem even for us. Most of what I did was the stuff I could see that was on the different parts of her ear. The funny part was that I hit a point where she was in heaven and was having eargasims.

Guest Jordan7

I wouldn't worry - I'm sure the brown stuff is a dog's equivalent of ear wax.

I was actually going to post a topic relating to this because I have similar questions about the best way to clean their ears. Like Aruba, Trevor has this brown waxy stuff which I have cleaned out but i'm worried about the bits you cant see.

Recently he's been liking getting his ears rubbed much more and I think they need a good clean out! Any tips or suggestions?

...haha - Eargasims - Love it! :rofl

Edited by Jordan7

Guest BlackandBrindle

I use babywipes to clean out the ears :) I probably clean Sadie's out once a month or so, when they have a distinctive smell. Spud only requires a once over every few months.

I've read that they can have more ear wax in the ear of the side they lay on the most... but dunno if it's true :dunno:

Guest Moebaaviva

We use an ear cleaning solution and cotton balls to clean Bella's ears every week or two (she gets more buildup on one side than the other too). My only advice on this subject is to move fast when you're done cleaning! Bella shakes hard and fast as soon as we let go of her and has nailed me and DH with ucky residual solution from her ears on more than one occasion. Unless one likes greyhound ear juice all over one's face. ;)

I prefer to squirt the solution on a cotton ball and wipe the ears out that way. As long as you do it regularly, you shouldn't need to pour the liquid in the ear canal each time, although if the ears haven't been cleaned in months, you may need to squirt in there just to loosen up the gunk.

I use the q-tips only as far as I can see. Usually we clean ears about every 3-4 weeks or so. If I recall correctly, we needed more frequent cleaning before we switched to raw, so your mileage may vary.

Guest greyfiend

Our vet suggested using EpiOtic for Filbert's ears. She demonstrated by holding both his ears up with one hand (over the middle of his head like a 'ponytail') using the other hand to squirt some into each ear-then before the hound can shake his head massage both ears fo 60 seconds. Then I use a soft smooth towel and my finger to clean out any earwax that is visible. I always do a visual check of his ears and smell check to see if they seem to need cleaning. The EpiOtic leaves a protective coating over the skin in the ears.

Guest taylorsmom

I have never had to clean out either of my greyhounds' ears!! Their ears are almost always spotless, with an occasional brown fleck of gunk that I can just get out with my fingertip easily. I am pretty amazed by it, because I also have had (and still do have!!) Labs and their ears can be a real problem at times. I have used the Oxyfresh ear cleaner on my Lab's ears and really like it, you put a little bit in the ear and rub the outside and it foams up nicely, then swab out with cotton balls, so no need for Qtips. But I also have to say that, like Ola said, since I started feeding raw I have had to do minimal ear cleaning for Lucy, and she does not get any more nasty ear infections.

Edited by taylorsmom

Guest DoofBert
I prefer to squirt the solution on a cotton ball and wipe the ears out that way. As long as you do it regularly, you shouldn't need to pour the liquid in the ear canal each time, although if the ears haven't been cleaned in months, you may need to squirt in there just to loosen up the gunk.

I use the q-tips only as far as I can see. Usually we clean ears about every 3-4 weeks or so. If I recall correctly, we needed more frequent cleaning before we switched to raw, so your mileage may vary.

Ditto what Ola says....

I think I was pretty careful and didn't go too deep because I know it can cause a problem even for us. Most of what I did was the stuff I could see that was on the different parts of her ear. The funny part was that I hit a point where she was in heaven and was having eargasims.

maybe you found her e-spot :P

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Moebaaviva

That's a handy tip! I'll try that next time and hopefully save everyone some grief (and excess fluid). :P

Guest Destiny

I have Lab, famous for ear issues. He has been on a grain-free diet for 3 years now and no more ear problems. I know other Lab owners who had ear problems, switched to grain free and they, too, have no ear problems.