Poor Pitiful Puppy

Fenway has been limping a bit but only on wood play chips/bark for a little over a week. Saturday AM he was on the couch cockroaching when he put his paws on my face (like he enjoys to do) but this time when I went to move his little foot I got the GSOD. :( Not good. Upon further inspection the outside baby toe on his right front foot was swollen, red and oozy. I messed with the oozy scabby part and it immediately started bleeding and he cried out again. Off to the vet we go. He has an infected toe that is all cleaned up and wrapped up as well. Best as we can tell it was a puncture wound that got infected, and it was hidden enough between the toes that I couldn't see it when looking at his pads or clipping his nails. So now I'm supposed to keep the bandage dry, and as luck would have it after about three weeks without rain in Seattle it did rain today. I bought booties last year so I was happy to have those on hand. He's been pretty good about leaving the bandage alone, but I'm around to watch him and tell him "leave it" when he starts picking . I got some Bitter Apple today and sprayed a few baby socks that I'll put over his bandage when I can't watch him this week. The vet said limited activity and only short walks until THURSDAY :blink: Any advice for keeping a 10 month old puppy quiet and also to keep him from chewing his bandage this week would be great. If you could also spare a few healing thoughts that would be great too, if it's not looking better on Thursday Fenway might have to go under and get a stitch or two. No fun! Look how pitiful he looks right now...

SoreFoot001.jpg

SoreFoot002.jpg

SoreFoot003.jpg

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Poor Fenway. But that third pic is wonderful. :)

Betsy has a PS:

Fenway

When you get sick of the boot, eat it. That's what I did.

Betsy

:paw

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest greybookends

Poor Fenway. Leave the boot alone sweetie the booboo will heal faster if you do. If not then I suggest mom should put a taped up muzzle on you so you can't chew it and they are no fun and it makes mommies feel bad to have to do it. So just leave it alone sweetie. Please. :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2

I second the taped muzzle idea. No matter how much they promise to leave it alone, just turn your back and see what happens. :lol Make sure you poke some holes in the tape to allow water to drain. Otherwise he'll have his own portable drinking bowl.

Heal quickly baby boy, then you get to play like you want to.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I second the taped muzzle idea. No matter how much they promise to leave it alone, just turn your back and see what happens. :lol Make sure you poke some holes in the tape to allow water to drain. Otherwise he'll have his own portable drinking bowl.

Would a poop cup work the same way as the taped muzzle? I might try to get one tomorrow if it will work.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest greybookends

Would a poop cup work the same way as the taped muzzle? I might try to get one tomorrow if it will work.

Yes it would.

Yes, poop cup would work.

-- Batmom

Deer Fenway,

My mom said not to "do a Betsy" and eat yore boot. Those girls Betsy and Zema will get you in trubble if you listen to them. Plus you might have to go back to the vet. Or else your gramma wood be following you around picking up yore poop and squishing it to see what's in there. That's hyoomilly ating. So it would not be good to eat it. But I think you could lick it a little. The boot, not yore foot. Yore mom will be mad if you lick yore foot.

Hope you are better and have no bandages soon.

Love,

Joseph

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awwww....Sweetheart...feel better soon honey. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Yeah, I'm not so sure that neoprene is all that digestible.....so there will be no boot eating! I plan to try the sock sprayed with Bitter Apple tomorrow and see how that goes. I can take the dogs to work with me, and while they can't be in my office I can check on them every couple of hours. I think his foot is either really sore or the wrap really bothers him because he has hardly gone to the bathroom at all today. And I tried the flexi leash out on him tonight in the yard in fear he would run, he HATES it. Poor little guy, Thursday can't come quickly enough for either of us. (The vet did give us both antibiotics and pain killers, so hopefully he's not to too much pain!) He's got a pretty dramatic limp going on right now. :(

I hope the wound is not why Fenway has been so good lately that he graduated to crateless!

I think that for some dogs, Bitter Apple is the equivalent of yummy flavoring. It never kept any of our dogs (or horses!) from chewing anything!

Poor Fenway! George sends his kind regards!

Susan

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I hope the wound is not why Fenway has been so good lately that he graduated to crateless!

Thanks for the well wishes....his personality has not changed (well, until he had the wrap on) so I think he'll still be just as good once he's all healed up. It's just this week that is going to be a challenge as I have to keep him quiet....easier said than done.

I have Fewnay at work with me today...I just went to check on him (11am) and he ripped the vet wrap off the sock, but left the sock alone. I guess the bitter apple is working! He can rip off all the vet wrap and socks he wants to...as long as he leaves the bandage alone. So far, so good. But, gulp, it's only Monday! :unsure

Edited by gracegirl

Guest taylorsmom

I was able to keep Rita from biting her bandages by using a gel called Bitter Lime, made by the same people as Bitter Apple but easier to use. It is made to keep dogs from biting and chewing on furniture. It didn't work to keep my Lab from chewing up the baseboards, but the Greyhounds seem to have a more discriminating palate and won't gnaw on it (at least in my house they didn't). You can coat the vet wrap with it. It is a little greasy but it worked like a charm!!

Hope Fenway can keep off his bandages!! Heal fast, honey!

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Bordeom will be your best friend - My pup went along for rides everywhere with me, anything to get him tired, because he wasn't able to go walking for a month! Also marrow bones, something to give them to worry over instead of their foot. I put a tube sox over the bandage and didn't have any trouble with Patch, but then he was 2.5 at the time....Good luck! :gh_face Carole

Fenway:

Bitter apple is yummy. So is Tobasco. So is habanero sauce.

Ole!

Betsy

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Fenway:

Ole!

Betsy

Betsy, you have developed quite the palate haven't you? Please stop sharing your secrets with my angel baby! :angry:

Fenway:

Ole!

Betsy

Betsy, you have developed quite the palate haven't you? Please stop sharing your secrets with my angel baby! :angry:

:lol

I'll try to keep her away from the keyboard.

GreyPoopon

Oh crap...someone pushed his on button.

:offwall:neener:bounce2:pepper:bounce1:pinkele:bounce2:pepper:offwall:neener:pinkele:couchjump:bounce1:bounce1:offwall :offwall

(And that is a mild version of a 10 month old puppy that has not been able to run since Friday!)

Anyone have any tranqulizers I could use?

Edited by gracegirl

For you or Fenway?

I need a cocktail, Fenway needs the tranques.... :D

Good lord, I just had to put his leash on him in the house, he just ran over Grace like she was a speed bump. Maybe I should now move this to "Cute and Funny" as Fenway is clearly feeling better, or better yet, I could move it to "Neurotic and Wacky". :blink:

For you or Fenway?

I need a cocktail, Fenway needs the tranques.... :D

Good lord, I just had to put his leash on him in the house, he just ran over Grace like she was a speed bump. Maybe I should now move this to "Cute and Funny" as Fenway is clearly feeling better, or better yet, I could move it to "Neurotic and Wacky". :blink:

When it comes to our dogs, it's hard to tell sometimes, isn't it? :lol

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I just discovered that Glad Press and Seal works great for a temporary poop cup on a muzzle! I just reinforced some of the edges with some tape :)

hope Fenway's foot heals soon! He is just adorable :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway