So Long Leather Moccasin

Guest wrldruler

Guest wrldruler

So I came home this evening and Nelly had eaten a pair of my brand new Minnetonka suede leather driving moccasinns just bought two weeks ago while on vacation in TN and worn exactly once. Though I am mourning the demise of my mocs I am much more concerned about a blockage. She only managed to eat the top of each shoe which is the the suede fringe part and suede string. she didn't touch the bottom nubby parts of the soul or any of the inside of the inner shoe.

I am yet again frantic wondering what I should look for and what is the worst case scenario. Should I immediately take her to the E-vet or wait to call the doc in morn. She is acting just fine, very normal and playful and just drank some water. I just don't know how easy suede passes in a dogs system or if it is toxic or not. Yikes

does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks lots (the wife) :unsure

Wouldn't hurt to call the vet but they will probably tell you what they told me when Joseph ate an entire vinyl toy: Watch her and bring her in if any signs of blockage.

Suede is a lot like rawhide. It *could* cause a blockage but will probably pass thru fine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DoofBert

My mocassins shared the same fate at the hands of Sir D.....he was fine.... he did have puke session where I got evidence that he was the responsible hound!

Mickey ate a six foot leather leash (minus the clip) and a 24 inch leather collar (minus the buckle). These were two different incidents and he was fine both times. I only buy nylon leashes now and hang them on the porch....just in case. I have had to rescue my mocs a few times but I can still wear them. Check in with the vet but he will probably just tell you to watch both ends.

Guest wrldruler

thanks guys---this incident gave me a good excuse to use a personal day today--Nelly had bm this morning with no prob but couldn't identify moc in there--called vet who said just keep an eye on her but it should pass fine--she seems fine now--it was no questions Nelly was the culprit cuz when I came home and grabbed the shoe George just looked at me confused but Nelly grabbed the shoe right back, ran down the hall, and proceeded to finish chewing on it!!!!!! <_<

oh the joy of owning a 2 year old (still puppy) grey!!!!

First, glad to hear "Leather Moccasin" is not your dog's name. :P

Second, glad to hear she's feeling OK but if I saw ANY sign of discomfort, I'd bring her to the vet pronto (read Alex's corn cob thread if you haven't already :( ). "Items" can hang around in the stomach for a long time without a problem - my boy stored a rope toy in his for weeks (unbeknownst to me) before horking it up. Hopefully Nelly will return your shoe to you soon. :)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis