Fiona Has An Awkward Wound - Any Treatment Advice?

Guest HeartHound

Guest HeartHound

Last night we noticed Fiona was doing some excessive licking on her back right foot. A little investigation revealed that she has a tiny piece of skin flap hanging on one side of her toe, and it looks red and raw and moist right in the crack where the two toes come out from her foot. It is too painful/touchy for her if I try to pull them apart enough to get a good look, so I can't post a pic. I'm heading out to the store to get some supplies as the antibiotic ointment I have won't reach far enough back into the crack to get to the boo boo and I need something better - perhaps some kind of powder to help dry it out. Any experience with this sort of thing? Treatment suggestions? I want to nip this in the bud before it gets any worse.

Guest sheila

sounds like she may have a cut in the webbing? I don't know of any good way to treat it other than trying to keep in clean by either soaking it in some warm soapy water and then rinsing well. Maybe some antibiotic spray like Gentocin that could trickle down to the area. Perhaps a bootie to keep it covered when she is outside?

We had one of those on Coco. I had no idea how a vet would even stitch it.

I filled a squirt bottle with some pretty dilute Betadine (povidone iodine), strong enough that it was still opaque. I then got out the EMT gel, waterproof tape, and non-stick padding. Coco's toes weren't stuck together like Fiona's, but the Betadine would probably help un-stick things a bit. I cleaned out the area with plenty of flow-through Betadine + water, cleaned everything out similar to "water therapy" where folks clean a wound with plain water every day. After that, I put some EMT gel on part of the knuckles that were rubbing together (another injury apparently related to the wound deep in the toes), put in a custom-cut piece of non-stick wound dressing, and held that in place with 1/4" waterproof tape. I then taped the knuckles together to reduce motion between the two.

We then put a kid's sock over it all (12-pack from Target, $2.99 or whatever), rolled it all the way up and then put a piece of tape around it maybe an inch from the top. I then rolled the top of the sock down over the tape so he couldn't get to it.

I checked it every 8 hours for any sign of infection, and cleaned it out with Betadine/water solution each time. I changed the tape daily, along with the sock. For the first 2 days, we minimized his time outside and didn't walk him like we always do. I think I went through 8-9 socks, which was a good 5 days after the wound healed. If there were any sign of infection, I would have headed to the vet ASAP as that's a bad place to get infected.

If there's pain, it's probably injured badly or infected, and should be seen by a vet.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest HeartHound

I intend to take her to the vet, but this is Sunday (why do these things always happen on the weekend?!). I have a therapaw boot to use when she goes out, and some baby socks. Thank you for the suggestions!

Good advice from ahicks.

Sometimes I will try to give a good soak in epsom salts solution or nolvasan solution a couple times a day but then you have to get it dry and sock it again.

Sometimes easier to get a look at that area if you splay the toes a little and then manipulate from the bottom of the foot. Muzzle pup or have someone hold pup's head to be on the safe side.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest simile

This happened to Jack just a few weeks ago. He sliced the webbing between two toes on his left back foot on a nail that had worked it's way up on the deck, we think. Of course this happened after the vet's office was closed. I doused his foot in peroxide (there was a ton of blood), dried it off, then padded and wrapped it fairly tight. I took him into the vet the next day where she said we'd done what we should have. She cleaned it again and loaded us up with pain meds and antibiotics. The vet said she doesn't like to stitch feet, especially between the toes because it causes more grief to the dog than it's worth. She also had us leave the bandages off, but to keep an eye on it, and don't skip the antibiotics.

He healed up just fine and it was a NASTY slice. Within two days he was playing in the backyard, and in a couple more his was running a bit. I spoiled him rotten for a full week :rolleyes:. Now you'd never now he'd been hurt at all. The foot and webbing look completely normal.

Fenway went to the vet yesterday with a swollen infected toe. :( (See my post about my pathetic puppy face) Best we can tell, he had a puncture wound that I didn't know was there, and didn't even catch it when it first became infected because his only symptom was a a tiny limp. I didn't even see it when I clipped his nails. Anyhow, the vet cleaned it out and wrapped it, and sent me home with antibiotics and pain killers. I'm to leave the wrap on until Thursday (or until Fenway removes it) and then we'll check and see how it is. Try your best to keep the site of the injury clean and dry. Soaking, baby sock and bootie all sound like good ideas. I hope it heals quickly!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I wash with antiseptic (Band Aid wash is good b/c it is a squirt bottle so you don't have to worry about spilling it if they kick the bottle over), put a little Neosporin on it, then a no stick gauze pad, wrap with stretchy cotton roll gauze, tape lightly to the fur (paper tape is easier to remove FYI) and cover w/ a toddler/baby sock (they fit closer to the foot so there's less room for messing with it).

This is the same thing that my vet said she'd do. Hope the foots better soon!

Guest HeartHound

Thank you for all of the excellent advice! I took her in to see my vet today and she had a 3 corner tear from between the toes and down one side - 3 stitches :P

She was so good, didn't even make a peep (unlike my Sami, who screams so loud she scares everyone out of the waiting room) :lol

Guest snakes

I had the same situation with my Allie girl. The vet recommended Bacitracin oitment (i found using a q-tip to reach back in the crack was easiest).

I tended to get a bowl of warm water and stick her foot right in it and swish the water a bit to clean the foot.

When we went out she wore one of her little winter booties.

It took a couple weeks to fully heal.