Natural Flea Products?

Guest metta_peace

Guest metta_peace

Have any of you had success with natural flea products after finding fleas on your dog? I tried Sentry Natural Defense, but it's not working. Has anyone tried diachromateous earth? Are flea baths effective? Or should I just go to the vet?

Thanks,

Metta

Capstar pills to kill existing fleas on the dog. Adams spray for bedding and carpets. Frontline or Advantage topical for the dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have any of you had success with natural flea products after finding fleas on your dog? I tried Sentry Natural Defense, but it's not working. Has anyone tried diachromateous earth? Are flea baths effective? Or should I just go to the vet?

Thanks,

Metta

I have heard the diachromateous earth is an excellent product. Just try not to breath the dust. Not posionous, just hard on nose and lungs.

Off this topic, I tried to PM but could not. PM me if you would like, concerning your call name.

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest BooMooandDoo

There are several natural flea preventatives that my customers swear by. . ..

Basically, anything with pennyroyal oil. We carry the Doc Ackerman's Flea and Tick Spray and Castor & Pollux makes an herbal collar called Play Dead Herbal Collar.

Lori

None of the natural products kill fleas without harming the dog. Your diatomaceous earth would be a good example. If people aren't supposed to breathe the stuff, what about dogs? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pennyroyal repels some insects but doesn't kill any of them and won't eradicate an existing infestation.

If you want to be kind to your dog -- and avoid future problems, including flea allergy dermatitis which can easily turn into a staph infection, and tapeworms -- please use one of the safe commercial products known to kill fleas.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SillyDog
None of the natural products kill fleas without harming the dog. Your diatomaceous earth would be a good example. If people aren't supposed to breathe the stuff, what about dogs? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pennyroyal repels some insects but doesn't kill any of them and won't eradicate an existing infestation.

If you want to be kind to your dog -- and avoid future problems, including flea allergy dermatitis which can easily turn into a staph infection, and tapeworms -- please use one of the safe commercial products known to kill fleas.

I tried diatomaceous earth on the back yard where my greys go. I kept it wet down for a few days until it was absorbed into the soil because I didn't want them breathing it. I have asthma, so I was super careful and wore a mask while spreading it. It was a pain, and I'm not sure it helped at all. I certainly won't be trying it again. If you do decide to use diatomaceous earth on your dog directly, you need to get a special kind that is supposed to be safer than the sort pruchased at pool supply stores.

The thing that helped most was Frontline Plus and Capstar. I'd been using it Frontline all along, but my vet said to give it every three weeks this year since Austin's had such wonderful flea explosions from all the rain. And I used the Capstar when either of my greys had several fleas or flea dirt. I was also pretty religious about doing flea checks in the am & pm, and getting rid of what I could by hand off the dogs. Neither ever had any more that 5-6 that I could see, but my greys are black, so, you never know.

I'm convinced that Prancer (male) thought I was suddenly interested in his "manly parts." That's where the fleas congregated on him. I tried to tell him that I wasn't the pervert -- it was the flea who liked his "equipment!"

Guest lat41065

the pool type doesnt work. DE bought at a feed store or online is what works. I use it exclusively and have no fleas at all. We live in a rural area with lots of critters.

it can be a little irritating to the nose but none of mine have ever had a problem. i also dont wet as its so fine it just gets right into the grass, I do rake it into the sand in my turn out pen.

I buy the food grade on ebay.

Good luck

Edited by lat41065

Guest metta_peace

I went to the vets and got Advantage for all the critters. What a relief. Within a few hours, Ravi stopped the constant scratching/ chewing on himself, and just slept most of the day. He must have been exhausted after several days and nights of fleas.

Washed all the bedding and we're good to go.

Metta

Guest SillyDog
I'm convinced that Prancer (male) thought I was suddenly interested in his "manly parts."

"Doggly", surely?

Yes, you're right! It would be highly disturbing if my greyhound and man bits on him!