Can We Talk About

Guest ss556

Alan shows some signs of weakness in his back legs at times. Then there are times he runs after a squirrel in my yard. Lately, while standing, he puts one foot outward - it seems the weaker of the two. Other than age, he is 10, what can this be? I don't think it's anything major (yet). Just wondering. My friend commented to me last night - "does he always walk this way?"

Guest Snowy8

This sounds like Banker, BuyCut, Gabby & Snowy. All are in the double digit range, but I noticed it when they were about 8 or 9. My vet said its just muscle weakness, like us...we get weaker as we age.

All 4 of them still get outside & run like they were 2 yrs old...even Snowy! Snowy's got the worse problem because she puts all her hind weight on her left leg vs that broken hock leg.

It seems Greypoopon was talking about Piper having some weakness too, and then once she started doing pace laps around the yard, her hips are getting stronger.

Guest smarthound

It might be a good idea to have this checked out with your vet. Hind end weakness is not unusual as our pups get older but it would be helpful to know if there is something going on (like lumbosacral stenosis). Then you would know if supplements would help or if treatment is indicated.