New Alert: Toxic Chicken Jerky

Guest alannamac

Guest BooMooandDoo

I emailed Dogswell and this was their response

Thank you for seeking out these answers! I love talking to great retailers about this important issue.

Although our treats are made in China, I want to assure you that our products are safe and clean. We have USDA permits for each of our products and our facility has an FDA registration number. We know every single supplier to our manufacturer. We test our ingredients for melamine, bacteria, pesticides, and contaminants. We know our suppliers and we test our products before they are shipped to our distributors. Testing is done at a FDA approved lab, Cornerstone Laboratories, located in Tennessee. I have attached a copy of our results for your review.

Our product is the cleanest on the market. It is very difficult to find antibiotic and hormone free chicken in the United States. Assuming we could find a reliable source domestically, it would be impossible to find the same healthy, cage free, antibiotic free, and hormone free product at this price point. Our President, Marco Giannini, routinely visits our factory in China. I have attached a photo of our cage free chicken; you will see that it is clean, humane, and safe.

We know that it is easy to become concerned as the media is emphasizing safety issues in Chinese products. Dogswell shares your concern. We look forward to the day when all factories in the United States are met with the same level of scrutiny we have put our suppliers through. Let me assure you our factory is one of the cleanest, not only in China, but by American standards as well. We trust them with the safety of our pet’s health as our pets our family too.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We are always happy to pass this information on directly to your customers as well. Please feel free to provide our contact information or refer them to our website for additional information. You are always more than welcome to contact our President, Marco Giannini, at Marco@dogswell.com or at 310.651.5201.

Thanks again,

Natalie Barr

Manager, Finance and Operations

DOGSWELL

she also sent me a copy of their lab results as well as pictures of their chicken house. . PM if you would like a copy of these. . I will be more than happy to send them to you!

edited to add. . from this . .I will still feed my pups Dogswell. .. .

Edited by BooMooandDoo

Guest HersheysMom

Anyone know of the origin of Trader Joe's chicken jerky strips? I've been going crazy trying to find any info and no luck. I have their beef jerky and it is clearly marked "Made in USA" Not so with their chicken jerky!

I emailed Dogswell and this was their response

Thank you for seeking out these answers! I love talking to great retailers about this important issue.

Although our treats are made in China, I want to assure you that our products are safe and clean. We have USDA permits for each of our products and our facility has an FDA registration number. We know every single supplier to our manufacturer. We test our ingredients for melamine, bacteria, pesticides, and contaminants. We know our suppliers and we test our products before they are shipped to our distributors. Testing is done at a FDA approved lab, Cornerstone Laboratories, located in Tennessee. I have attached a copy of our results for your review.

Our product is the cleanest on the market. It is very difficult to find antibiotic and hormone free chicken in the United States. Assuming we could find a reliable source domestically, it would be impossible to find the same healthy, cage free, antibiotic free, and hormone free product at this price point. Our President, Marco Giannini, routinely visits our factory in China. I have attached a photo of our cage free chicken; you will see that it is clean, humane, and safe.

We know that it is easy to become concerned as the media is emphasizing safety issues in Chinese products. Dogswell shares your concern. We look forward to the day when all factories in the United States are met with the same level of scrutiny we have put our suppliers through. Let me assure you our factory is one of the cleanest, not only in China, but by American standards as well. We trust them with the safety of our pet’s health as our pets our family too.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We are always happy to pass this information on directly to your customers as well. Please feel free to provide our contact information or refer them to our website for additional information. You are always more than welcome to contact our President, Marco Giannini, at Marco@dogswell.com or at 310.651.5201.

Thanks again,

Natalie Barr

Manager, Finance and Operations

DOGSWELL

she also sent me a copy of their lab results as well as pictures of their chicken house. . PM if you would like a copy of these. . I will be more than happy to send them to you!

edited to add. . from this . .I will still feed my pups Dogswell. .. .

Wow, that's quite a response from DogsWell! I'm impressed! I have been feeding that to my pups currently. I have the glucosamine/chondrotin version. They love it!

Anyone know of the origin of Trader Joe's chicken jerky strips? I've been going crazy trying to find any info and no luck. I have their beef jerky and it is clearly marked "Made in USA" Not so with their chicken jerky!

I looked at them just yesterday and it says made in China, so I didn't buy any. I think I saw it on the back of the package, at the bottom...it wasn't easy to spot, but it's there.

I don't know how far you are from these guys, but they have a good selection of American made products:

http://dharmadogwash.com/index.html

Guest dafnissp
Does anyone know of ANY chicken jerky product that's NOT made in China? All the stores I've looked at, they're all made in China.

Dogswell is American. . hormone and antibiotic free.

I have some on my website.

I'm sorry to tell you, but Dogswell chicken breast treats are also made in China. I have a bag right in front of me and if you check the bottom right corner of the back of the package, it says, "Made in China."

I haven't posted here in AGES, but I wanted to share what's been going on with my boy, Dash, in case anyone else has been experiencing the same. He has been experiencing some stomach issues on and off for the past couple of months. Nothing overly serious, but worrying just the same. Complete lack of appetite, horrendous gas (Dash NEVER gets gas) and very loose stools for a couple of days at a time, then fine - appetite returns gas is relieved and stools are normal. He seemed fine in all other ways and didn't show any other signs of illness. I'm not one to rush off to the vet - I typically wait a day or so to see if symptoms subside and in this case they always have.

A couple of months ago, I bought a big bag of "Waggin' Train" brand chicken jerky tenders from Walmart. I've been feeding them to Dash here and there, but it hadn't ocurred to me to connect the symptoms to chicken jerky because I've been giving him chicken jerky (usually Dogswell) for about a year without any problem.

He had just gotten over another bout of not eating and loose stools a couple of days ago. Ate his breakfast yesterday and and had nice firm poops when I let him out. I gave him a piece of chicken jerky yesterday before I left for work and today, he's thrown up three times and has liquid diarreah. I just happened to see this thread last night and am now convinced that the chicken jerky has been responsible for his stomach upsets over the last couple of months.

I'm fasting him today and hopefully this will work its way out of his system. If not we're off to the vet.

Needless to say, I won't be feeding him anymore chicken (or anything else, for that matter) from China. :(

I just wanted to say that I bought a bag of the Kingdom Pets Jerky at Costco too in late May early June and after 3 days of giving my almost 1 year old Cockapoo these treats she had the exact same things happen to her. She stopped eating, became lethargic and was vomiting and had severe diarrhea with blood and mucus. I took her to the vets and they kept her for 2 days as she was very ill and dehydrated. My vet bill was $1350.00 which I am still paying off. I am willing to bet it was these chicken jerkys. She had no problems prior to it and I had given her them beforw. The previous bag I purchased at Costco was the brand Benni&Penni. We had no problems with that bag but the new bag purchased in late May early June was when the trouble began. The vet ran many tests and the results from parasites, ghardia the clostridium tests were negative. They took an xray to see if there was blockage causing the symptoms and that too was negative. All blood tests were fine. She was given an IV to replenish the lost fluids and they witheld her food for a day to rest her tummy and then started giving her frequent small meals. She was put on antibiotics and pepcid AD or AC ? I continued to feed her for 10 days rice and skinless boneless chicken breasts just boiled. We increased the amount given and decreased the frequencies until she was eating 2 meals a day. We are just now adding her INOVIA kibble back into her diet. I for sure will not give her anything made in China ever again nor buy her any toys made in China... I hope this helps others

I am going to call the vet now to report what I have read here.

Sandy

Guest LazyBones
A couple of months ago, I bought a big bag of "Waggin' Train" brand chicken jerky tenders from Walmart. I've been feeding them to Dash here and there, but it hadn't ocurred to me to connect the symptoms to chicken jerky because I've been giving him chicken jerky (usually Dogswell) for about a year without any problem.

yikes. :( i have been feeding gumby the "waggin' train" brand for a while. fortunately she hasn't gotten sick from it, but i think i will be tossing out what little i have left.

Guest GreytDude

Here's a link to the Waggin' Train (ADI PET) website. They claim that their products are not included in any recall and that they are safe. I'm not going to trust them at this point though.

ADI PET

Edited by GreytDude

Guest greytexplorer

Hey dafnissp,

I'm glad you're calling your vet about all this China cr*p

I also heard today (CNN?) that someone's chihuahua died after eating that jerky treat.

You are very lucky it wasn't your little cockapoo.

I feel like the big dogs have a chance at fighting germs, but the tiny ones don't.

tbhounds-----lemme warn ya: the last time my ds made jerky with a dehydrator, I thought the dogs were going to go INSANE :crazy:crazy it was like that Beggin Strips commercial (BACON BACON BACON I SMELL BACON!!)

My dogs don't get a lot of treats. They are not food driven or food inspired. Pretty much just MilkBones (made in Joisey, is that the US? :P ) here.

But I do worry about pet toys that are made in China-------those tainted dyes!!!!!!! :angryfire

Guest HersheysMom
QUOTE(HersheysMom @ Aug 20 2007, 12:09 AM)

I looked at them just yesterday and it says made in China, so I didn't buy any. I think I saw it on the back of the package, at the bottom...it wasn't easy to spot, but it's there.

I don't know how far you are from these guys, but they have a good selection of American made products:

http://dharmadogwash.com/index.html

Thanks so much, Flint. I know exactly where this is!! I haven't been to that plaza in a while and had no idea they'd put this store in - I can't wait to go :) (As for the Trader Joe's jerky, I should have known something was amiss when the beef jerky package was so clearly makred and the chicken one in the same type of packaging wasn't)

Guest alannamac

Trying to be non-offensive and just protective of our health here.....I know many businesses have a lot at stake with products coming from China....

but having experience in the environmental toxicology field and having read for several years of the mess China's gotten into ecologically ........(manufacturing companies have been dumping chemical wastes of all sorts everywhere...into farmlands, waterways, public water supplies etc unregulated for decades.....the stuff is in their drinking water, food supply, the land they live on...it's a nightmare and it's a myriad of things from Heavy metal contaminants) Not to mention the little side-operation companies that lace their products with "this and that" that no one knows about.

Testing for all possible contaminants that foods might have in them would be very costly. I don't think anybody's going to do it until something already has had a few disasters assosicated with it.....like the melamine problem.

It seems best to steer clear of Chinese food products.

Guest VirginiaGreys

I contacted Costco yesterday concerning the chicken jerky....here's the reply I just received.

Dear Diane,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Wal-Mart has announced today that during July they have pulled some of their Chicken Jerky Pet Treats due to a possible microbial illness (salmonella) that a dog contacted.

We do not buy from the vendor (Pingyang Pet or Shanghai Bestro) that supplies the pet treats that are involved with this issue at Wal Mart. There has not been a recall announced by Wal Mart.

The Chicken Jerky Pet Treats sold at Costco (all regions) are made from whole muscle chicken breast meat and are processed just as beef jerky is for humans. We also have our Chicken Jerky Pet Treats irradiated prior to shipping to eliminate bacteria and insure that we do not have any microbial issues.

We also treat all of our pork based treats (pig ears, rolls, ect) with irradiation and have been for the last 8 years.

Thank you,

Sue

Costco Wholesale Corporation

Guest Kikobyrd

Hi, all. I am not a greyhound owner, but hope to be one day! I love these dogs. I found this site while searching for info on this chicken jerky mess. I am interested in dehydrating my own chicken treats, and saw that a couple of you have done this before. Could you share any information or knowledge you have about doing so? I've already dried one batch, but am learning and if you have any advice, recipes, whatever, I'd truly appreciate it.

My current dogs are rescues, a lab/norfolk terrier mix, and a Catahoula Leopard dog. But greyhounds have already found a place in my heart, and I intend to seriously research whether I would be a good match for one. Love all your pictures!!

Thanks so much, and I hope all your babies stay safe through all this food turmoil!!

Edited by Kikobyrd