New Alert: Toxic Chicken Jerky

Guest alannamac

Guest alannamac

Hi ,

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up that there's another recall of chicken jerky treats for dogs.......

here's the link

<http://www.itchmo.com/wal-mart-removes-bestro-chicken-jerky-strips-after-dog-death-2321>

It is not limited to the bestro brand (although that is the main one mentioned in the article) but rather

to the Chinese manufacturer, that apparently distributes under several brand names yet to be disclosed.

If anyone knows how to cross-post this to the other topic threads, that would be great so that everyone knows as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Is this the same type of product as the Waggin Train Chicken Jerky Tenders sold at Costco, aka "Chicken Crack"?

Gulp. My guys regularly eat this stuff and are okay....makes you a little nervous though.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest LadyChester

I sure hope it doesn't include the Costo stuff ... it is "Chicken Crack" here, too!!!

Edited by LadyChester

Guest alannamac

As far as I've read, the main product of concern has the name "Bestros" on the bag, and was carried primarily at Wal-Mart. The Chinese manufacturer's name is Pinyang Pet Products. I'm not sure what else they produce.

Considering the Dingo brand chicken jerky treat (also from China) recall for the same salmonella issue several months ago........I'd be suspicious of all chicken jerky with Chinese origin (usually says on the bag if it's from China, sometimes it says USA on the bag, but is only referring to who imported it, or who manufactured the packaging......have to read very carefully.....but one can never be sure these days......so unless it says made in USA, or Canada, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole these days)

Guest luckydog

The initial basis of this story happened to a dog who lives a few miles from where I live. A careful reading of the story in the local paper indicates that the jerky was merely suspected in the death of the dog, but no testing was done on the product itself. So at this point, the suspection of tainted jerky is merely anectodal.

Guest Winterwish
Does anyone know of ANY chicken jerky product that's NOT made in China? All the stores I've looked at, they're all made in China.

There are several. :)

I've been buying "Cluckers" and only Cluckers for a few years now,and puppy loves them!

Does anyone know of ANY chicken jerky product that's NOT made in China? All the stores I've looked at, they're all made in China.

I've been buying "Cluckers" and only Cluckers for a few years now,and puppy loves them!

Where do you get them?

Guest Winterwish

hllb,you might have ask your pet store to order them,but some places simply don't deal with certain distributers,I guess contract type things and who knows what.

Unfortunately I have only 2 pieces left and the palce I used to get them,Furry Paws,won't be getting them anymore,and have started only getting the ones made in China.

My more local and really great pet shop,Vinnie's, has them on order now tho'. :)

I've started buying these at the all-natural pet store and they're a big hit:

http://www.zukes.com/shop/index.php?cPath=2_15

Oh,looks good! Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Winterwish

Guest alannamac
The initial basis of this story happened to a dog who lives a few miles from where I live. A careful reading of the story in the local paper indicates that the jerky was merely suspected in the death of the dog, but no testing was done on the product itself. So at this point, the suspection of tainted jerky is merely anectodal.

Given the following article (attached below) I'd say that the liklihood of the tainting is quite high:

Bestros Had Previous Problems Of Salmonella In Dog Food Treats

Posted on Friday, August 17th, 2007 at 12:13 pm in News for Cats, Dogs & Owners, National Dog, Cat & Pet Info, Dogs, Cats, Pet Food Recalls & Safety.

By Emily Huh

The company that makes Bestros Chicken Jerky Strips has had problems with salmonella before. In the past few weeks, there have been numerous complaints about this China-made product that is sold at Wal-Mart. Pet owners say their pets died or are ill from eating this tainted dog food treat. As of yet, Wal-Mart has not issued a recall. Instead they quietly pulled the products off of the shelves.

But this is not the first time that the Bestros brand has had problems with their dog treats. Bestros is also known as Pingyang Pet Products.

On September 27, 2006, the FDA refused numerous Bestros/Pingyang Pet Products for salmonella contamination. Then on June 8, 2007, Bestros/Pingyang Pet Products was again refused by the FDA for salmonella contamination.

On the company’s website, Bestros/Pingyang Pet Products say that their Chicken Jerky Strips Treats are made through this four step process: 1) Materials only derived from the veterinarian’s office & Department of Agriculture approved farms & slaughterhouses, 2) Roasted under 75?-85? for more than 10 hours, 3) Go through our unique microwave system under 120? to ensure the CORE temperature meets the minimum standard of 70? to kill the virus in all parts, 4) Treated by irradiation (Gamma Ray) to eliminate the harmful bacteria.

Besides the Chicken Jerky Strips, Bestros/Pingyang Pet Products also makes other rawhide dog chews, smoked porkhide products, chicken jerky chips, and Munchy Chews.

Pingyang Pet Products also has a line of dog and cat toys and accessories which includes squeaky vinyl and plush toys, leashes and collars, grooming products, and cotton rope toys.

Here is more information on the company from their website:

Pingyang Pet Product Company (PPP), a rawhide dog chews manufacturer, was established in 1989. The company employs over 1,000 employees and they claim to be recognized as the most modern and the largest dog chew manufacturer in China.

The company was granted the ISO 9002 certificate in the summer of 2001. The Pingyang Pet Product Company features blue light sterilization at all levels of production and packaging.

For more information on Bestros/Pingyang Pet Products, here is the company’s website.

Source: FDA.gov

Guest Stretchy
I found the Cluckers online! WOO HOO! My mom will like it to as she's been looking for American made stuff and hasn't found any.

Can you please post the link to cluckers? Thank you

Guest DaiyesDad

Oh, thank you. It seems like almost every kind I have found are made in China :huh

Guest HeartHound

We have stopped buying ANY foodstuffs or hygiene products made in China. I suspect what we have actually heard about is only the proverbial 'tip of the ice berg' :P

Guest Winterwish
Oh, thank you. It seems like almost every kind I have found are made in China :huh

The thing is,the ones made here are a bit more expensive. So,a small bag of say,Cluckers,could cost the same as a medium jug of them made in China. So that's why people go to the less expensive,and they do move off the shelf,while the bags of Cluckers are dusty! :lol: True!

I threw away the empty bag from Costco. Anyone check the label? China?

Sure hope not! I am goingto Costco later and planned to buy more.

It is China, at least the bag we have.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest BooMooandDoo

edited because

Dogswell are not American. . hormone and antibiotic free, but made in china

Edited by BooMooandDoo

Dogswell is American. . hormone and antibiotic free.

I have some on my website.

I'm sorry to tell you, but Dogswell chicken breast treats are also made in China. I have a bag right in front of me and if you check the bottom right corner of the back of the package, it says, "Made in China."

I haven't posted here in AGES, but I wanted to share what's been going on with my boy, Dash, in case anyone else has been experiencing the same. He has been experiencing some stomach issues on and off for the past couple of months. Nothing overly serious, but worrying just the same. Complete lack of appetite, horrendous gas (Dash NEVER gets gas) and very loose stools for a couple of days at a time, then fine - appetite returns gas is relieved and stools are normal. He seemed fine in all other ways and didn't show any other signs of illness. I'm not one to rush off to the vet - I typically wait a day or so to see if symptoms subside and in this case they always have.

A couple of months ago, I bought a big bag of "Waggin' Train" brand chicken jerky tenders from Walmart. I've been feeding them to Dash here and there, but it hadn't ocurred to me to connect the symptoms to chicken jerky because I've been giving him chicken jerky (usually Dogswell) for about a year without any problem.

He had just gotten over another bout of not eating and loose stools a couple of days ago. Ate his breakfast yesterday and and had nice firm poops when I let him out. I gave him a piece of chicken jerky yesterday before I left for work and today, he's thrown up three times and has liquid diarreah. I just happened to see this thread last night and am now convinced that the chicken jerky has been responsible for his stomach upsets over the last couple of months.

I'm fasting him today and hopefully this will work its way out of his system. If not we're off to the vet.

Needless to say, I won't be feeding him anymore chicken (or anything else, for that matter) from China. :(

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

Guest BooMooandDoo

Dogswell is American. . hormone and antibiotic free.

I have some on my website.

I'm sorry to tell you, but Dogswell chicken breast treats are also made in China. I have a bag right in front of me and if you check the bottom right corner of the back of the package, it says, "Made in China."

You are correct. Sorry

No need to apologize - and I want to say that Dash was never sick when I gave him Dogswell chicken jerky. Only since I bought the "Waggin' Tail" brand have I noticed the symptoms I mentioned.

It's frustrating that I/we feel we can no longer trust any type of pet product that comes from China, but I don't. I feel bad for Dash because he absolutely LOVES these things. I feel even worse because the last time he had a bout with this, he wouldn't eat any of his regular food at all. I offered him a couple of pieces of the chicken jerky just to get him to eat something and he ate them! Now I know I believe I was just prolonging his upset. :(

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

There are a lot of beef, lamb, and pork chew products that are made in the U.S. but I don't know about chicken. Weird, isn't it? So many chickens here ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.