E Collar Freakout

I originally posted this under EEG but have new questions so this seemed more appropriate.

Stella's toe is still taped in place at the end of the toe and nail (following surgery to re-set it after dislocation) but the vet has removed the bandage because there is an open wound on the side of her toe that the doc wants exposed to air to help it to heal. She is taking antibios too as this wound went right to the bone :eek

She gave me an e collar to keep Stella from licking the wound when I am not there to supervise her.

Stella completely freaked. I know that no dogs 'like' them but she was truly panicked and I had to take it off.

I tried rolling a towel and taping it around her neck, in the 'bite not' format but this wound is on the side of her toe on her rear leg and because she is a gumby when she lays on her side her rear legs actually go up in front of her head, so not turning her head won't stop her from licking. SIGH.

I don't have a muzzle because I donated it back to the group Stella came from shortly after we got her, because she is an only dog and I couldn't imagine any use I would have for it :blush I could order one but there isn't anyplace nearby, Cambridge is closest I can find so far, and I can't wait that long.

For now what I did was cut out a leg from some pantyhose and put that over her foot and up her leg and taped it. She doesn't lick if there is something on it. Do you think that is 'breathable' enough to let the air heal the wound ?????

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

That sounds like a good option to me, as long as it isn't sticking to the wound. :):bighug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Oh good. So far it isn't. I put it on last night before I went to bed and I checked it this morning and it was dry and loose still.

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Seems like a good way to go, but I'd order a muzzle and poop guard now in case it stops working, or in case you need something in the future. We sell both if you're not sure where to get them.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I was going to suggest a Bite Not collar, but if it's her toe, she'll probably still be able to reach it.

Here's an idea - did the vet give you a CLEAR plastic e-collar, or an opaque one? Sighthounds freak in them because their vision is restricted, and they do make clear ones -

Click

Might be worth a try?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It was an old post of your's Judy that gave me the 'bite not' style towel idea, unfortunately being right on the outside toe and greys being such pretzel pups, she can still reach her toe without bending her neck :lol

:lol a Greyhound Superhero (Jiffer) is coming to our rescue and bringing a muzzle. :yay:confetti

The pantyhose is working out well but I am leaving for holidays on Sunday and although DH will be with Stella, he works 10 hour shifts so our neighbour will be coming by every day and visiting with her and taking her out to potty, I didn't want to be trying to instruct my neighbour on cutting out pantyhose, taping them on etc :lol

Just use a poop guard with teh muzzle, or apply duct tape around the front of it, otherwise she will be able to work on it through the muzzle.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Of course I did :lol I look at everything you post Judy, I am sort of a secret stalker, shh don't tell.

I think that would be better than the opaque one she has now, but still would probably freak her out. There are some good alternatives out there, soft e collars, one that looks like a foam flower around their neck etc, but the problem of course is I need something NOW :lol

I am hopeful the muzzle will do the trick. She really isnt too much of a licker so usually just a small deterrent is necessary. Usually just a bandage or sock will do the trick, if she doesn't see the boo boo she doesn't try to get it. The vet just threw a wrench in my usual routine by saying she wanted it open to the air.

Not at all. I like that blue shirt you are wearing by the way.

:rofl