Who We Are

Hi! I posted a bunch as soon as I got my dog, and never knew there was an introductions area, so here goes!

I am a single woman who cannot imagine life without a dog. My old boy, Kramer (hence the KramersMom ID) was a shelter rescue (thrown from a moving car as an emaciated, sick puppy) who was the light of my life!

He was 12, and declining rapidly. He had a large nerve sheath tumor on his side. The vet said it would cost "at least" $6,000 to remove and treat it, and it would probably come back anyway, so I elected not to put him through that (not that I have $6,000 anyway).

When it became clear he was no longer enjoying life, I had him put down. That was in April. Because I knew he was not going to be around much longer, I had gotten pre-approved to adopt a Greyhound. I researched Greyhound adoption for over a year before taking the plunge.

Just days after Kramer died, I went to look at one of the dogs that my choosen rescue group said might be a match for me--I had NO INTENTION of adopting the first dog I met, but when he smiled at me, I had no choice!

Driven by Chile is his name. They called him Chile at the track. Adoption group gave him a new nickname. Foster Mom gave him a TOTALLY different nickname--but I hated them both, so I decided to name him George in keeping with Kramer (from Seinfeld). Also my mother told me a hysterically funny story about a time when she was in college (sometime around the middle ages!) and she and a fellow got to laughing about the funniest name they could think of for a dog, and it was George.

So George it is!

We had a rough start, but things SEEM to be going really, really well now! He is just beautiful, and I really think had I not gotten a new dog right away, I might have just curled up in a ball and never left my condo again.

While I enjoy living without other PEOPLE in my life, I could barely stand the few days I was dog-less. Is it hard living alone, in an apartment with no fenced yard, and keeping a dog healthy, fit, and happy? You bet! Is it worth it? Totally!

People tried to talk me out of getting another dog. They had a fantasy that I might start up a busy social life (my mother still hopes that I'm going to turn out to be like her some day--but at 46, I think that ship has sailed!) and perhaps join the Junior League or some such.

I know I'm not the only one who can't imagine life without that special four legged someone waiting at home to tell me I am the center of his universe every time I come home. You just can't get that from PEOPLE!

There you have it! Thanks to those of you who have had good advice to share. And also thanks to the rest of you :blush!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

:colgate Welcome!

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Welcome from another Boston area greymom. :welcome It sounds like you are enjoying George and that he's great company. There are some very nice greys in this area, and their people are nice too! A group called Greyhound Adventures organizes walks in the Boston area on weekends. I haven't been to one yet, but they sound like fun and a great way to exercise George and meet other greys and owners. Their site is www.greyhoundadventures.org There's a walk tomorrow a.m.

Good luck with George! These greyhounds (and GreyTalk) can be very addictive. :lol

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest bowiebears

Welcome from the MC 'burbs of DC!

I used to use George as a 'silly name' when I taught grammar. That ended the year I got a boy whose name actually was George! He was a very special kid, bright, fun, friendly!

And now, 30 years later, one of my best friends is another guy named George. Who knew there were so many!

Congrats on your George! They are all special, I think.

--Isaac

Guest HeartHound

Welcome! I am new to GT also, it is a greyt place to learn all sorts of things. I love the name George, after all our first President was named George. I get the impression from your post that you are not a 'social butterfly', so I hate to break this to you but - greyhounds are people magnets!! You are going to go places, do things and meet people you never dreamed of if you fully immerse yourself in 'Greythound World' :colgate "Adopt a Greyhound, Join a Community"!

Guest KyGrey

Hi and welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about Kramer's passing. It sounds like you gave him the most wonderful time of his life. Congratulations on George!! I love that name for a dog. I too can not imagine life without my dogs. I don't know why it took me so long in my adult life to get my first. I researched greyhounds for about 6 months before I applied for my first. That was Molly and I don't see myself without a greyhound in my life ever.

I can't wait to see pics of George!!

Welcome from Ontario. Sorry about Kramer. Congrats on getting George. He sounds like a perfect pup for you. Know what you mean about being dogless for too long. We lost our Lucy in March and didn't get Abby until July. I thought I would go carzy without having a pup to love and hold in my arms. :welcome

Howdy from the other side of the Charles!

Lima and I are really glad that George gave you no choice but to adopt him right away. :nod Funny how that happens. I remember when I went to the open house thing and was so excited that there were so many greyhounds to meet, yet, the only one I bothered meeting was the very first one I saw, and she's the one I ended up adopting.

We'll see you tomorrow at the Arboretum walk?

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

Hello Susan and George :wave:wave:wave:wave it's nice that you found us here . You fit right in

with all us other GH Addict's . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am really sorry about Kramer .

Edited by IrskasMom

No fair asking for pictures in a forum that doesn't allow picture uploads!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. Rally P., yes, we shall see you and Lima Bean in a couple of hours at the Arboretum!

To the nice lady who suggested Greyhound Adventures, why haven't YOU been on one? We have. It's fairly good fun! A tad slow for my taste, but hey, what the heck. It's all about the dogs getting to socialize I think, and not really about the people getting their exercise. In fact, I'll be leaving here in about 40 minutes to attend our third walk! I anticipate arriving home in a few hours with my arms several inches longer, and severe pain in my surgically repaired shoulder...but hey, it's all about the dogs!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

No fair asking for pictures in a forum that doesn't allow picture uploads!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. Rally P., yes, we shall see you and Lima Bean in a couple of hours at the Arboretum!

To the nice lady who suggested Greyhound Adventures, why haven't YOU been on one? We have. It's fairly good fun! A tad slow for my taste, but hey, what the heck. It's all about the dogs getting to socialize I think, and not really about the people getting their exercise. In fact, I'll be leaving here in about 40 minutes to attend our third walk! I anticipate arriving home in a few hours with my arms several inches longer, and severe pain in my surgically repaired shoulder...but hey, it's all about the dogs!

:blush I will make it to one of these walks. They do sound like fun. I usually glance at the e-mail, think about it and then forget by the time Sunday a.m. rolls around. :rolleyes:

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Welcome!

George is sort of related to my Penny (DK Forever More). George's grand sire Oskosh Racey was a brother to Penny's grand sire's dam (hope I got that worded correctly), Oskosh Riddle.

Driven by Chile - Oskosh Slammer - Oskosh Racey

DK Forever More - Craigie Whistler - Oshkosh Twist - Oshkosh Riddle.

2wck1zc.jpg

Who are you?? I've been on several Greyhound Adventures walks. I tried to look at Aero on the greyhound data thingy, but there's no PICTURE (you really should do something about that!).

Have we met??? You kind of can't miss me. I have a semi uncontrollable laugh...and a dog who insists on being at the head of the pack!

Susan

Welcome from another Boston area greymom. :welcome It sounds like you are enjoying George and that he's great company. There are some very nice greys in this area, and their people are nice too! A group called Greyhound Adventures organizes walks in the Boston area on weekends. I haven't been to one yet, but they sound like fun and a great way to exercise George and meet other greys and owners. Their site is www.greyhoundadventures.org There's a walk tomorrow a.m.

Good luck with George! These greyhounds (and GreyTalk) can be very addictive. :lol

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Welcome!

George is sort of related to my Penny (DK Forever More). George's grand sire Oskosh Racey was a brother to Penny's grand sire's dam (hope I got that worded correctly), Oskosh Riddle.

Driven by Chile - Oskosh Slammer - Oskosh Racey

DK Forever More - Craigie Whistler - Oshkosh Twist - Oshkosh Riddle.

There were two dogs recently adopted out of my group, Greyhound Welfare, that are Craigie Whistler babies! I found some notice somewhere that he (Craigie Whistler) cost $25,000!

Holy Smokes!

Good old Slammer, George's daddy, apparently has sperm on ice--hence the 5,000 kids! I was wondering how that dog had time to rest...silly me!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg