Sutures After Extraction?

Guest snakes

Guest snakes

Hi all,

I was talking to a friend the other day who has a grey and they said that they specifically chose a vet who does not suture the wound after a tooth extraction. He had heard it was bad for the dog/healing.

I never heard one way or the other and it got me wondering...

My older girl had a couple extractions sutured up with no problems, and my vet is very good and knowledgeable about greys.

Anyone have any ideas if one is better than the other and why? Is it just a preference by the vet?

thanks!

I think it's by preference of the vet.

Orion had all of his top molars removed and the middle teeth on both jaws (canines backward) and they didn't suture. He never bled much either.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

The only teeth extractions we have had were molars and the gums were not stitched.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

My vet sutures after extractions... especially for Kara when she lost 29 when she was still my foster.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Larger teeth including molars and premolars really should be sutured if at all possible. Sometimes if the gingival recession is really bad there may not be enough healthy tissue to suture but that is really the only good reason not to suture (I suppose there may be others but not many). Humans are not always sutured because we can use things like water picks, etc. to keep sockets clean. Dogs will get food, fecal material, etc. wedged up into a socket and not allow it to heal or worse heal over it and create an abscess. When premolars and molars are removed bone is often drilled away and the sockets can be packed with material to encourage boney healing but it is only effective if it is sutured into the pocket. When left open the material would simply fall out.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Stella's weren't sutured but like Dr. Bill said above, that was because there wasn't enough tissue to suture. Since they weren't she needed a long course of antibiotics as well as a daily rinse with novadent on the sockets as they healed.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.