Help! New Chip Has Fleas

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Guest Lorraineandcrew

what is the best way to treat both me and my dogs? I'm pretty sure this is what it is, the pictures look exact. I know I have to wash all the bedding, steam clean the carpet etc, but I also recall reading that greys can't tolerate flea collars - what it the right treatment? I don't want this to spread to my cats, my son, our upstairs quarters etc. Help!

Advantage all of the dogs.

Fleas won't live on humans.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

A few thorough bathes & some Frontline Plus should do the trick!

I believe Lemon Joy (the dish detergent) can kill fleas. But if you want something more industrial, grab a flea killing shampoo designed for puppies.

Guest Snowy8

Fleas love human blood just as much as any other blood...

I use Terminix for the yard, Frontline for the dogs & cats. Memphis & the surrounding area had a horrible outbreak a few years ago, EVERYONE had fleas & ticks. I heard on the radio this year has been bad for ticks because of the heat.

Yes, greyhounds should not have flea collars on. I've heard Dawn detergent is good for killing fleas also, but I would definitly get some Frontline & ask your vet for some Capstar tablets, its an instant remedy.

Guest Oh_Greyt

The Advantage or Frontline will also work as a treatment for your home - the dog's hair is treated with the product, they shed in the house, fleas and their eggs in carpets and bedding are thus killed...

I'd second the Capstar though. You could even use Frontline spray in your house and on your other pets (make sure it's safe for cats though - I can't remember). It's not a bad idea to give a dose of flea treatment to all the pets in your home (or else you're fighting an uphill battle).

ETA: Do not bathe for three days prior to applying and three days after applying Frontline or Advantage - they need the oils in the skin to spread on the body. Dawn will remove these oils and the products won't work!

Edited by Oh_Greyt

Guest Lorraineandcrew
The Advantage or Frontline will also work as a treatment for your home - the dog's hair is treated with the product, they shed in the house, fleas and their eggs in carpets and bedding are thus killed...

I'd second the Capstar though. You could even use Frontline spray in your house and on your other pets (make sure it's safe for cats though - I can't remember). It's not a bad idea to give a dose of flea treatment to all the pets in your home (or else you're fighting an uphill battle).

ETA: Do not bathe for three days prior to applying and three days after applying Frontline or Advantage - they need the oils in the skin to spread on the body. Dawn will remove these oils and the products won't work!

thanks everyone! what about me? do I need to see a doctor, or will the bites go away? I have to stop scratching so I don't make it worse, but man........

Guest greytexplorer

DON'T BATHE BEFORE FRONTLINE or ADVANTAGE.

and I highly recommend Advantage Multi--it is even recommended for infestations......ask your vet about it first.......

and CAPSTAR is wonderful......ask your vet about it

HURRY UP thar's fleas that need a-killin' ! :wife:flea

Your bites will go away, use benadryl cream or hydrocortison for itch :kiss2

Edited by greytexplorer

Guest Kipsmom

What I ahve done in the past is exactly as others have said.. Capstar and Advantage on the dog. Clean all bedding and I actually bought some Adam's spray and sprayed my furniture. Living where I live it's a constant battle.

thanks everyone! what about me? do I need to see a doctor, or will the bites go away? I have to stop scratching so I don't make it worse, but man........

Nah, you'll be fine - unless you have a horrible allergy to the bite, which is most unusual. I am atopic and react badly to insect bites, but I've been bitten by fleas on numerous occasions with no problems apart from the itching. I used to work in theatre at the vets - did you know fleas drop off unconscious if they bite an anaesthetised animal? But then they wake up later and hop on the nearest mammal. Often ME. :lol

Try not to scratch, it makes them itch more.

I use Capstar and Program. I don't know Advantage or Frontline since I've never used them - not sure we have them over here. :dunno But no, don't use a flea collar. Greyhounds can react badly to organophosphates. ;)

BTW - using Program on the dogs means you don't need to worry too much about the house, because the dog's blood is full of flea birth control. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Lorraineandcrew

thanks everyone - one thing to add, before I take them to the vet and sign over my paycheck.....neither of the dogs are scratching. Apart from the occassional scratch around where the collar is of my first dog, Dash, nothing else. Q'tesh, my new pup, I have not seen scratch at ALL. I've got a call in to my adoption group to see if the woman who fostered her for a week before I got her has noticed anything. Maybe I was bitten by mosquitos and didn't notice? Seems unlikely, but what else could it be? Just heard from my adoption group, she was frontlined before I got her and no issues with foster mom, they also told me that if she had fleas I would be able to see them on her.

I'll keep you posted, scritch scritch scritch.....

You don't always see the fleas unless you're looking. Take a very fine toothed comb and a piece of damp kitchen paper. Drag the comb through the 'high flea traffic' areas a few times - back of neck down to shoulder blades, and the lower back near the base of the tail. Wipe comb on kitchen paper every few passes. If there are any black dots with pink staining, s/he has a flea population. You can also get right down close and part the fur in those areas and look. If you see tiny black dots, there are probably fleas, because that's what flea droppings look like. ;)

It's possible you were bitten by something else, but if it happened shortly after you were hugging the new dog, I'd be suspicious.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Canadian (Newmarket) weighing in here-we brought our first Grey home in June and he had a major flea infestation. I was freaked that we were going to have fleas everywhere so I didn't let him upstairs on the carpet until we took him to the vet the next morning. The vet said no worries because our other dog is on Revolution and when his hair and skin fell out the Revolution would kill any fleas in the environment. Within 48 hours of applying Revolution almost every flea was gone on our new Grey. I did still wash all the bedding he was sleeping on to be safe and vacuumed thoroughly.

Our vet recommends Revolution over Sentinel now because Revolution treats fleas by killing the live ones and the eggs. It also treats sarcoptic mange mites, some other mites and ticks and heartworm.

2 months flea free now, regrowing fur and looking great. :)

Guest Lorraineandcrew
Canadian (Newmarket) weighing in here-we brought our first Grey home in June and he had a major flea infestation. I was freaked that we were going to have fleas everywhere so I didn't let him upstairs on the carpet until we took him to the vet the next morning. The vet said no worries because our other dog is on Revolution and when his hair and skin fell out the Revolution would kill any fleas in the environment. Within 48 hours of applying Revolution almost every flea was gone on our new Grey. I did still wash all the bedding he was sleeping on to be safe and vacuumed thoroughly.

Our vet recommends Revolution over Sentinel now because Revolution treats fleas by killing the live ones and the eggs. It also treats sarcoptic mange mites, some other mites and ticks and heartworm.

Flea update - well, I combed Q'tesh with a fine tooth comb last night, damp paper towel to see what came off - Nothing! Just hair of course, but no black dots when I looked closely at her parted fur, no black dots with pink staining on the paper towel, and no scratching by either dogs (or either of my cats, or my son.....) So - thank God on the one hand, I guess I was attached by a pack/herd/group of mosquitos and didn't notice somehow.....weird....btw, what is a group of mosquitos called? How about a PEST of mosquitos!

thanks for all the help anyway, I always learn something new everytime I come here.

thanks for the info, I guess it's not fleas after all, but always good to get extra info!

On the other hand, we have a grey off leash play group every Sunday from noon to one at Norwood Park, leash free enclosed area, just for greys for that hour. Please accept an invitation to come and join us! If you would like to and want directions, let me know. The park is around Main/Gerrard area.

[On the other hand, we have a grey off leash play group every Sunday from noon to one at Norwood Park, leash free enclosed area, just for greys for that hour. Please accept an invitation to come and join us! If you would like to and want directions, let me know. The park is around Main/Gerrard area.]

Thanks for the invite! We have been meeting up with the South Simcoe Grey group up here to run although not much running has occurred in the warmer weather. Looking forward to seeing WJS Max Moppit let it all out when the weather gets cooler.

Leanne :)