Benedryl Dose Confirmation?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Dr. Doug takes benedryl for summer itchies, but I forget the dose every year. Just checked with vet's office, and they said standard dose for an 83 lb dog would be 80 mg 2x a day. But then I looked at the Benedryl box, and the tablets are only 25mg, which means I should give him 3 at a time? It seems like a lot compared with a human dose, and I honestly can't remember giving him that much all at once in the past. Was the vet tech who relayed the message mixed up somehow? She said the dose is based on weight of dog in miligrams? Help, please?

Guest Tenderhearts

You can try going with a lower dose, but it is 1 mg per pound. Lori Ann was 75 pounds, and when the sutures started to itch on her flank from the dog attack, she was getting 3 - 25mg twice a day to help with itch relief.

Some dogs react more to the drowsiness that benadryl can cause, so that is why I suggested starting him on a lower dose, and you can also increase to the 3 pills, twice a day.

I hope this helps, and he feels less itchy soon!

I would start with a lower dosage, then adjust as needed. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Tenderhearts
I also don't get why it's only 2x a day--For humans the directions are 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours!

?

A dog's physiology is different than a human's :)

Guest Oh_Greyt

You can give it three times a day for dog's... Actually, they're metabolisms are much faster then ours so it wears off quicker for them than for us. And it's very hard to overdose a large dog on Benedryl. But there's no need to over-medicate if twice a day does the job. And yes, it's 1mg/lb. If he gets drowsy, you could do a lower dose but increase the frequency to 3 times per day.

Edited by Oh_Greyt