A Last Diary Entry For My Oscar

mareyeka

August 16 2007

This is the last diary entry for Oscar – written from his mom's point of view.

Dear Diary,

Oscar has left us; it was very unexpected and way too fast. The decision we had to make on Monday was heartbreaking and very difficult. We don't know how long he was sick – or in pain – all I know is that such a happy and innocent soul should never have suffered as he did.

Oscar was a happy dog, diary. Happiest when his people were coming home. His happy "oh boy they're home and I'm so thrilled" dance was a joy to behold and made us laugh almost every time. His appreciation at having his loved ones with him is a lesson that we humans could learn. His joy at having a good butt scratch or a great neck rub was constantly reinforced when he'd push his way in front of you so you could do as he wished.

From his first trip in the van after a long haul from Massachusetts:

Goinghomefirsttripinthevan.jpg

To a hound who knew exactly where he belonged:

Loveyamom.jpg

Oscar was our special dog.

His strength and speed were awe inspiring:

hereicomeroundthebend.jpg

And his never-ending quest to visit with his sunbeam should remind us all to take the time to appreciate the simple things in life:

Youcallingme.jpg

foundthesunbeam.jpg

The joy of a French fry container was a site to behold

Thesearereallygoodmom.jpg

And he absolutely knew how to make himself comfortable, no matter where:

comfybutt.jpg

makinmyownpillow.jpg

snugglebunny.jpg

Remember his blue tongue? I think that will go down in Greytalk history:

lookatmybluetongue.jpg

Of course, he had such an infectious smile too.

notworkingisit.jpg

and, we can never forget the interesting relationship with the Incredible Hulk:

dontevensayit.jpg

letstellyou.jpg

He needs to stay close to Rox, diary, Rox will show Oscar the ropes and I hope that Oscar tells Rox how much we miss him too. I imagine the two of them at the bridge comparing notes. Rox saying, "what??? He *let* you *on* the couch???"

Roxwindow.jpg

Oscar was loved by all of us. Even dad. The one who would make sure to save him the left over lunch meat and who worried about him when he didn't seem right. The dad who picked up after him in the back yard, although that was the last thing he wanted to be doing. The dad who help him to the bridge, although it was one of the most painful things he ever had to do.

Oscar was his mom's most special dog. I've always loved dogs but I never dreamt that I could love a dog as much as Oscar. The look in his eyes when I would be alone with him; the way he'd watch my every move. He hated to be away from me – and I away from him. The kids adored Oscar too. They would snuggle with him and love him, as kids do. He was very different from Rox and that took some getting use to. But his quiet and loving way won them over in no time. No-one and nothing ever made our family laugh like Oscar and his antics. We'll never be able to look at anything related to the Incredible Hulk without thinking of our Oscar-man.

And now, diary, we have to say good-bye. We close this chapter of the diaries and of our lives. Oscar has left the room, but he'll never leave our hearts.

Run free dear Oscar. Run free.

Love, hugs, and many tears,

Your family.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SusanP

Focus on that photo with the silly, happy, upside-down grin. It will help you remember that you gave your boy the most precious gift a dog can get: a loving family. I've found, in grieving my Simon these past 3 weeks, that it helps to think not of the end but of the joy she had being a part of our family. Oscar was a lucky dog! :grouphug

What a loving tribute to a loving friend....

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Goodbye Oscar. Godspeed.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I will wait patiently Oscar for one more diary entry from the Bridge...I want to know what happened when you arrived at the Bridge...and what happened the first time you and Rox saw each other there...and I know that you must have seen Angel Sophia by now...she is such a flirt. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest jeannejj

I am so sorry for your loss of Oscar. He was lucky to have your love and you are lucky to have the memories. May they bring you comfort and peace.

Run free, sweet Oscar.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

I am so sorry. :candle:grouphug Run with all the angels Oscar. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:cry1:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Such a heart touching tribute to your best boy. :beatheart He will be sorely missed by all... :cry1

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.