Corns

Guest chigal950

Guest chigal950

How long does it take for a corn to form to where the edge starts separating?

I just found one on Caden's back foot last night where a good part of the edge was separated and was able to 'hull' it with my fingernails. Then when we were done, I spotted one on his other back foot. We took care of that one tonight.

I will keep an eye on his toes. This is the first time he has had these. I am just wondering, however, how long he may have been walking around like that, and hoping he wasn't in too much discomfort. No limping or anything. I feel like a bad mommy, however, if it wasn't for this site and all you good people I'd never even known what a corn was.

No personal experience with my hounds, but from everything I've read, if his corns were painful I'd think he would have been limping

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest hamiesmom

You are very lucky to be able to hull the corn with your fingernail. If he was not limping then they were not too bad. My 9r old boy, has corns on his two front feet, one on each. They can be quite hard, when pressing on it, you can feel it. They were okay for awhile but now one is coming back again and is quite painful. Hamie wears therapaws when we go out for walks otherwise he would be limping very badly. Some corns come and go, never to reappear, but Hamie's come and go. We just try to keep him comfortable.

Depends on the corn. Some are super fast growing - we had one foster that just a week after you hulled it, there it was again, bigger than life. Turbo's is slow-growing and very painful.

Use Abreva on the pads you've hulled - it may slow regrowth.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest GreyKat

Also, surgery may not work. Luna had a corn, had it surgically removed (we didn't know about hulling, nor did our vet). It came back in months, we thought it had been a bad surgery, so she had surgery again...and it came back within months. That's when we stopped trying. She wore a Therapaw when on walks, and unfortunately she passed away suddenly before we ever were able to try hulling.

From what I've read, I'd try hulling and Abreva before ever trying surgery. And Therapaws are GREAT! VERY padded.

Good luck!