Teeth Brushing

Guest TippyTy

Guest kgildea

Just wondering what is the most effective method.

I do use enzymatic toothpaste (note to self: seafood flavored toothpaste is a BIG mistake. ick. never again. made bad breath even worse. :shakefinger ). My problem is that my pups both seem to like to just chew on their toothbrushes (kiddie size, soft bristle). So, not much actual brushing going on and their teeth are starting to show it....

What works best for you?

Guest lapatte

I've just been using water and toothbrush... she is slowly getting used to me handling her mouth and putting a toothbrush in there! hehe I'm doing it just a few seconds on each side, trying to build up a little every time... we are working on teh canines... she doesn't like to get the molars done... hummm

nat

Guest IGmom4now

I've been brushing IG teeth at bedtime for years, so it was not such a big deal to add another (larger) set of teeth. We use the CET poultry flavor and soft kiddy brush. I'd let them lick a bit of the toothpaste so it seems like something nice. Also, get your pup used to you handling the mouth, looking at teeth etc. so that part of it is no big deal. You might want to start by using a finger brush (like a soft rubber thimble), if your dog is focusing on the brush too much. And I end each session with a dab of paste on my finger for them to lick...I keep it quick and simple.

I use mint flavored. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greyfiend

I introduced my greyhound to teeth brushing by first using my finger with CET enzymatic dog toothpaste once per day for 7 days; then my finger wrapped in gauze x 7 days; then a 'finger toothbrush' for 7 days; and finally a double ended (larger bristle head and a tiny bristle head) dog toothbrush. If you put a blob of toothpaste on top of the bristles then the toothpaste essentially comes off too quickly and you'll end up adding more paste. An article I read stated to squeeze the paste INTO/BETWEEN the bristles so the paste stays in there and you won't have to keep adding more to it. Here is a link to a woman's website where she has close up photos and detailed explanation as to how to brush a dog's teeth (hers are Italian Greyhounds but you'll get the idea).

OOPS. I forgot to add the link. Here it is: http://www.cigrescue.org/dental_left.html