Any Corncob Experiences?

Guest CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

Alex ate at least 3 corncobs last night from the trash. We are usually much more careful as the trash is in a pantry. However, we had company for dinner and somehow let our guard down. He is vomiting mostly stomach acid this morning with a few cob fragments. Over the last 9 years, he has stolen squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas, potatoes, pears, apples, etc from the counters with usually little to no consequences, maybe just some stomach acid problems which he is on pepcid for anyway. (We don't even buy grapes or chicken with bones just to be safe.) However, he has probably left us at least 10+ piles this morning so I decided to call the vet to see if carafate was OK to give and how much. I told her I had not given any reglan because I want him to vomit the corn cobs but I want to protect his stomach lining and esophagus. She said this was correct and ok'd the carafate 3 times a day. However, she said corn cobs were notorious for bad obstructions and she was very concerned. Of course we are watching him closely to see if he passes anything and to make sure he doesn't develop any abdominal tenderness. Has anybody had any experiences with the ingestion of corn cobs and how did it turn out?

Turbo ate 3 of them once - the ONLY time he's ever stolen anything from the trash - along with an expired buffalo steak. When I got home, I have him hydrogen peroxide to vomit. Strangely enough, he had actually chewed the corncobs and they likely would not have been a problem. The steak, however, he ate whole. And barfed up whole :lol

So, yeah, we got the cobs while they were still in the stomach and had not yet moved to the intestines.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Winterwish

Sending good thoughts out to your grey Alex. Hopefully he'll be doing a lot better later. :hope

It is worrisome for sure. Something about corn cobs many dogs like,so I get rid of the whole thing pronto. Very true about obstructions and the cobs.

(No experience with eating the cobs here tho',but the husks seem irresistable to my greyhound. It's all he can do to get to them,but I never let him have them and actually am ready immediately to take them out to the garbage after the corn is shucked. Too much of an unknown,and corn husks are very prone to mold.)

a friend of mine's greyhound ate a corn cob once,, unfortunatly that doggie had to go into surgery to extract the thing! He was pretty sick, but recovered just fine,,, i'm sure the owners pocket bood took longer to recover than the grey.

good luck, hope your boy is fine, sounds like you have everything under control.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Rascal did this twice....the first time he stole the whole ear..in the husk...at two complete ears...those passed without too many problems. The next time he got a hold of three ears that were out of the husk but he really did have a hard time passing those. We were almost ready to move to the surgery but finally they moved but it took some time. I can't remember how long now. This was years ago....

Best wishes of a good outcome!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

My prev. dog (not a grey) ate two corncobs right off the counter when we turned our back for a moment. She was pretty sick, vomited for a few days and then finally vomited THEM up (still whole) and then she was all better.

I hope yours works out the same.

You wonder why they eat things that aren't good for them - doesn't seem to fit in with survival of the species! Seems like they should be more discriminating.

Good luck and best wishes for an easy resolution to this.

OMG! Kiaba got one the other night and he chewed it up so nicely, that I didn't worry about it. His siter cmae along and cleaned up the crumbs.No problems after at all! Will watch corn cobs more! Actually, I think that is they only thing he ever took out of a trash bag.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

He'll either pass it, barf it up or he won't. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict it which. I'd be watching him for any signs of unproductive straining, bloating, and probably leash walk him for bathroom breaks until it passes. Leash walking will allow you to make sure that he is ABLE to poop, see what's coming out and check for corncob remains. Any fever or acute pain is cause for an e-vet visit (infection/perforation).

Odds are good that it'll come out one end or the other- you'd be amazed what these dogs can pass on their own- but definately watch him closely. When a dog is obstructed, they can go from "fine" to "very, very sick" quickly.

Lynn

I'd get him to the vet personally for a good thorough abdominal examination and a baseline x-ray. I agree with your vet about corn cobs being notorious for obstruction. We've seen them several times.

Any prominent abdominal pain, unproductive vomiting, etc. would warrant a trip to the ER ASAP.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest SadiesMom

Our first grey stole two full ears of corn (cooked and out of the husks) from the counter. All we found were the crumbs. He passed them with no problems.

I hope Alex feels better soon.

Guest JohnnyBell

Not only is the cob bad for the belly but when I worked at the vet @ 15 years ago their was a Chow Chow that was brought in because it couldn't no longer fully open his mouth.Come to find out the owners were feeding the dog corn cobs all the time and the very high fiber content caused something to happen to the jaw joint to build a fiberous tissue around it and was starting to fuse the jaw together.We had to tube feed that poor pup for awhile because he couldn't get his mouth open wide enough to eat normally.Who da thunk :blink: .How weird is that.So no corn cobbs!!!!!

Guest CyndiW

Update: Alex has now had three BMs which had smaller corn cob pieces in it. He continued to throw up stomach acid all day yesterday BUT FINALLY at 4:54 this morning he started throwing up the larger pieces of cob that won't pass. He has had 3 quite productive vomits since. He wanted to eat at 8:00 this morning so I fed him some oatmeal. He begged for food all day yesterday; he doesn't seem to think he is sick at all. He would vomit a large pile of stomach acid and then want to eat; it is hard to explain to a starving greyhound why you won't feed them. I did feed him some oatmeal last night which seems to have digested fine. There was not trace of oatmeal in his corn cob vomit early this morning.

THANK YOU so much for sharing your experiences. It gave us some hope without rushing him to the vet (although we have been in constant contact with the vet and only live 5 min from there should things go south yet). The oatmeal suggestion was just perfect as it was the only thing he is keeping down so I know he is getting some fluid from it also as well and it seems to be helping move things along. Hopefully, if there is anything left in there, he will continue to poop and vomit until it is all gone and if he is lucky nothing will get lodged or tear anything in there. I keep checking him for tenderness or a fever. So far so good.