Post Surgery, Question And Update #4

I have a question/update on Rascal's post surgery recovery:

He is happy and not in any pain that I can tell,, that's a good thing. However, the incision site is still bleeding.

Surgery was yesterday, tendon release under the toes on his right back foot.

Dr. said everything went very well!

this morning i woke up to bloody "foot" prints, the incision site had bleed thru the bandages. I thought, ok, it's under his toes, and he is walking on his foot, therefore, it could be irritated, and bleed.

off to the vet for verification and re-wrap. Rascal did pull a stitch, Dr. fixed it, and re-wraped the leg.

now, less than 9hrs later, blood is starting to seep thru the bandages again. The tech said to come back in if the bleeding came thru the bandages for re-wraping..... and of course it is now 9pm and all Rascal is going to do is sleep all night long.

I will wait until morning,, but I am wondering,, is bleeding a bad thing? of course it's not GUSHING blood, I just wonder if I should leave it,, let it clot. Aren't we disturbing it every time we open the wrap to look at it, check the stitches and re-wrap it?

so,, Do i wait,, do i go in for another check in the morning?

I also am fighting the urge to re-wrap it myself... I posted earlier the admission to thinking "i can bandage just as well, if not better than the tech can"....

Thanks for your advise, about this time all my close advisor's are in bed,, sorry lot we are, 9:30pm and the pillow is calling my name!

:rolleyes:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Ohh..tough question. I would do the rewrap myself to see what was going on. I would feel the need to take charge. :P I read that to put cotton or gauze between the toes, and then put the gauze at the site of the stiches and I LOVE the PAPER TAPE. Sticks to the fur but does not pull fur out when you take it off. I always treat the dogs as I did the kids while they were growing up. We did not go to the DR. very often. Dr. Mom was on duty :lol

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

How is he this morning? You may be getting some extra seepage because it's a foot (lowest point on the dog et cetera) .............

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rascal is doing just fine after a good nite sleep. Mom slept some, but has baggs under her eyes! :coffee i need coffee!

His foot did bleed thru the nite. what I did was: I put an extra bandage on the bottom of the foot, to see if the blood would seep enough to go thru that extra pad. Upon inspection this morning, no additional blood. seems last night's bleeding stopped. This morning I did the same thing, thinking if the blood comes thru the big bandage and soaks my little one on the out side, THEN it's time to go back in. This is giving me an idea of additional or continuation of bleeding.

now thru the day it could start again and i'll have to go thru the same decision process.. but at least i have a benchmark to go by.....

I must admit, this wasn't my wonderful idea,, I found my nurse friend was available for a phone consultation last night, and this was her suggestion!!! :nod I thought it a pretty good one. She also thought that leaving it would be better than opening up the bandage. On the other hand,, she thought that by NOW the bleeding should be stopped and a clot should have formed.. so, my little brain goes right back to ,, take off the bandage and SEE what's happening down there.....

:ph34r

time for the morning pills, not to mention breakfast,, better get to that,,,

Thanks for your help..

the saga continues....................

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14