Della Needs Thoughts And Prayers

I just don't know. Picked up the canned food and went home to a mess. Scott had left her a little water and maybe a cup of the dry food in case she wanted to graze. She ate about half the kibble.

Diarrhea all over the kitchen floor...just like Tuesday. Also, a huge pile of vomit. Put her outside and cleaned her feet. Gated everyone out of the kitchen area and started to clean. Coming out of the garage with more paper towels I saw her in a bed by the glass slider door and she was vomiting. She had already done two huge piles, a smaller one and nailed the bed. Outside again to finish. She just stood there with her head hanging and panting. Came in and went right to bed.

The vet said not to give her any food but two centrine to calm the intestinel tract and we could bring her in if it became unmanageable. I had to pick her head up to pill her. She doesn't look like she feels well but I can also understand why with what she's been through and all the meds.

I cleaned the floor and gave her some clean bedding. Scott will get home before me so she won't be alone too much longer. Hopefully she will eat some canned food tonight.

That's it for now. Wish I had better news.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be thinking of you guys this weekend. Poor girl really needs to keep some food down!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

poor thing.....did they suggest doing an ultrasound or anything?

She's been on steroids so an endoscopy is not an option. However they did do radiographs when she was hospitalized this week. The only other possibility is a surgical biopsy of her intestine but she's probably not a good candidate at this time.

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest Winterwish

Not to suggest yet another food so as not to upset her stomach,but I do want to mention at soem point if you want to try a couple of boiled shrimp and see if they stay down.

I haven't ever seen any bad reaction from Dreamer with those,they seem to go down easy with no effects.

I've used them as a gentle reintroduction of food and he always takes them,

Poor sweetheart,please get well soon Della, :gh_child:hope:grouphug

Guest PiagetsMom

Gosh, I just feel so bad for Della.....and for you, too. Not only are you worried about your girl, but you've just got a huge mess to go along with it. I really, really, hope you and Della get some relief very soon :grouphug

If Della is vomiting & has diarrhea, please consider bringing her back to the vet for fluids at least. Considering how sick she's been & her weight loss & all the meds, I'd insist on it if she were mine. (And if she does have IBD, she may be sick for quite a while until her intestines heal - weeks at best.)

I know others here have IBD hounds including tbhounds. She almost lost her boy last year but he's doing very well now. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you what protocol the vets set up for her Pooter.

Many prayers for you & Della.....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Winterwish

Just to mention,Half and Half also goes down easy here with no GI problems. I've given a quarter cup with not ill effects.

Sending hugs...

While you have a plethora of issues going on, my holistic Vet strongly recommends BioK for dogs on meds or with gastric issues and just, in genera,l for good gut health. All my dogs get some daily. They prefer the fruity flavor. ;)

:grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest argolola
While you have a plethora of issues going on, my holistic Vet strongly recommends BioK for dogs on meds or with gastric issues and just, in genera,l for good gut health. All my dogs get some daily. They prefer the fruity flavor. ;)

:grouphug

Can you tell me what this is and where to get it? Sounds very helpful.

Bio K

Health food stores in the cooler or they should be able to order it for you.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Scott came home this afternoon to a clean floor and a tail wag. :) We tried the canned food and she loved it. Dinner was half canned food and kibble. She gobbled it. Her thirst was tremendous but that was probably because of the prednisone. We restricted the water somewhat. She was a good girl and took all her meds.

Thank you all for the food suggestions and supplements. I'm writing everything down and keeping it all in mind.

She hasn't wanted to go out since she ate and is sleeping on the couch.

I think we would have taken her back to the hospital if she had another blowout but everything seems to be staying in.

It's so hard without a definite diagnosis but there could be so many causes of what's happening to cause the IBD and the PLE, I can understand how hard it is to pin down.

Hopefully she will have a good night.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

All digits crossed for a good night. Hugs for your sweet girl and you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest PiagetsMom

When I saw that you'd just posted, I was almost afraid to check your update, but I'm so glad that things seem to have stabilized for Della - and for you!

Sending good thoughts for a quiet, restful night for her and hoping for a good update tomorrow :grouphug

Just wanted to share her picture tonight as she sleeps. (We have a black couch and the cover is in the wash. Temporary sheet.)

SickDellaroaching(480x360).jpg

Edited by Zoolady

Guest nerak254

She looks a lot like Jessica did. I'm hoping things continue to go well and you have a quite night. A suggestion about the water. When my first hound, Goody, has some medical problems and had to go on kibble that was almost no protein, she was really thirsty too. I started giving her ice after watching her drain her bowl and then go into the living room and deposit all of it on the carpet.

Prayers for sweet Della. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest luckydog

I second the ice cubes in the water bowl. The dog can still get hydrated, but at a slower rate that their tummies can handle.

:grouphug Hope you both had a quiet and restful night!

Edited by luckydog

Della slept through the entire night. This morning she ate about 75% of her breakfast. She always ran around the coffee table while waiting for her food. It was good to see her going around this morning although at a much slower pace.

She made one poop at 12:30 which wasn't a blowout like she's been having. Much less and a better consistency. No vomiting. I reported to the vet and we're leaving meds as they are until he sees her next week.

I did do the ice in the water bowl. Great idea. I let the others have all the water they want but pick it up when they're finished.

She has been sleeping all day.

Guest HeartHound

I'm very relieved to hear things are better - I worried about ya'll last night as I lay unable to sleep, with the picture of her stretched out on the couch in my mind... now I see her 'carefully' dancing around the coffee table, which is something my Sami does :)