Della Needs Thoughts And Prayers

WARNING: gets graphic but will try to keep it short

A month and a half or so Della wasn't well. Long story short, not absorbing food. Vet put her on a protein source she's never had (herring and sweet potato kibble) and nothing else. She weighed 64 pounds then. Weighed her a week ago Saturday and she was 67.

Poops kept getting firm and going to mush. Started prednisone a week ago Monday and she firmed up again but began Dairy Queen yesterday.

We were low on food Sunday and called to see if a store had her food. They said yes. When we got there, they didn't so we went to another store and had to substitute a fish, rice and potato formula for dinner Sunday and breakfast and dinner Monday (mixed with the herring formula).

She began vomiting this morning huge amounts of water. Covered one dog bed 60%. Vomited four more times with water and a little kibble and white things that looked like amoebas and were about two inches across.

We gated her in the kitchen this morning with two beds. I bought her herring food on my way home at lunch. When I got in the door, the beds and kitchen floor were covered with loose watery diarhea and more watery vomit. I called Scott and he was able to come home. He took one look at her and off to the vet they went.

They weighed her and she's down to 54 pounds. Lost 13 pounds since a week ago Saturday. She squirted all over the exam room floor while waiting for the vet.

Just spoke to the vet. Della needs IV for dehydration and will be hospitalized. We will keep trying because she hasn't been acting sick and her quality of life has been normal until today.

Need a little GT magic please. Will keep you posted.

Edited by Zoolady

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, poor baby! lots of good thoughts and well wishes for Della :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Oh my goodness...poor girl! :cry1 I do hoep the vet is able to give you more answers, and something for Della- she must be severely dehydrated after loosing so much liquid.

Sending Della lots of healing thoughts. Keep us posted :hope

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Guest charmsmom

Has she been checked for worms that aren't covered? Worms (hookworms, I think) can make people lose weight with diarrhea and vomiting. The white amoeba-like things could be worms that have worked their way up the digestive tract to her stomach.

I'll be praying for her!!!!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Praying for Della, and although I've never had any experience with them, my first thought too was hookworms... or at least the possibility...

Let us know when you know anything :grouphug

Worms was one of the first thing the vet thought of. She was wormed for different kinds three or four times to rule out worms. Sorry....I should have mentioned that when I posted. Not thinking too straight now.

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest SusanP

Were you able to bring some of the amoeba-shaped things in? If there are still some in the trash, maybe? Sending healing thoughts. It seems like you're so close to finding out what's wrong!

Were you able to bring some of the amoeba-shaped things in? If there are still some in the trash, maybe? Sending healing thoughts. It seems like you're so close to finding out what's wrong!

The vet questioned in depth about the slimey mucous. Wasn't worms.

Is the food ok? Perhaps a bad batch of food?

It's hard to say. Tomorrow we're to bring the new bag of herring/sweet potato food to the vet. No food for her today.