Loose Vs Firm Stools?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

As I continue my quest for firm, neat, easy-to-pick up dog poop, I got to wondering: Are firm, easily picked-up stools better for the dog or just for those of us who pick up after them? I mean, many humans are trying to eat more fiber and *avoid* hard stools. Is it possible that the optimum doggy stool is rather soft, however inconvenient that might be for the human picking up after them? :unsure Are we barking up the wrong tree?

All 3 of my hounds have NOT easy to pick up 100% poops. They are a bit on the soft side. Their diet consists of proplan 2x a day with the missing link added 1x a day. Sometimes I'll add a bit of pumpkin but that doesn't change anything. It's soft. Not loose or runny, just soft.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest KennelMom

You want firm stools b/c passing them helps keep their anal glands properly expressed. But, just like people, you don't want them too hard or it will make it difficult for the dog to have a movement without a lot of straining.

Guest PiagetsMom

Piaget's vary.....sometimes they're very good, sometimes soft. I've decided not to worry - she likes her food, eats well, and seems fine.

The only thing I've heard that firm stools benefit (other than us people who have to pick them up) is in helping to keep the anal glands from having to be expressed.

Phoenix Star had hard, pebble-like stool when we first got her. We marvelled at how easy it was to clean up. Then we found out she had hookworms! After the intial worming, her stool was formed, but squishier; like my other two bebes. So sometimes squishier = good!

I figure if it's good for throwing, it's the right consistancy :D

And here I thought that was only a figure of speech ;)

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Oh come on! Like you've never considered saving a bag in your glove compartment to hurl at whichever moron just cut you off, talking on his/her cell while driving, and doing 30 mph in the passing lane in a 65 mph zone.

Yes, I'm from Jersey :P

The way I see it, if they are having no difficulty passing and they have no anal gland problems, then their poops are fine.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Oh come on! Like you've never considered saving a bag in your glove compartment to hurl at whichever moron just cut you off, talking on his/her cell while driving, and doing 30 mph in the passing lane in a 65 mph zone.

Yes, I'm from Jersey :P

On the advice of my attourney, I respectfully invoke my fifth ammendment rights. I'm from Jersey, too :lol

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I think formed stool is ideal for both dogs and humans. It shouldn't been too firm or constipated, but also shouldn't be liquid or squishy. I believe it's the colon that extracts moisture from the stool, isn't it? If it's too "moist" coming out then either something internal is not working correctly, or something about the food (or it's volume) is causing the output to come out sooner than it should (and so it's not having enough time to extract the moisture).

Mine acts "perkier" when he is pooping firm. This leads me to believe that firm poop is healthier. And when my dog has soft poop, he tries to hide it by pooping in foliage or bushes, like he knows something is wrong with it.

I know dogs aren't people, but I would imagine there is likely some discomfort with really soft or near runny stools. I know how I feel when things aren't coming out properly...

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

As I continue my quest for firm, neat, easy-to-pick up dog poop, I got to wondering: Are firm, easily picked-up stools better for the dog or just for those of us who pick up after them? I mean, many humans are trying to eat more fiber and *avoid* hard stools. Is it possible that the optimum doggy stool is rather soft, however inconvenient that might be for the human picking up after them? :unsure Are we barking up the wrong tree?

To be honest, I do think there is a lot of truth in your comments here. I'm in the UK and we seem to worry far less about how firm poops are.....it is rarely mention on UK dog boards and rarely a topic of discussion amongst my local area dog walkers. As long as the dog seems comfortable and happy, there is no anal gland problem and no signs of ill-health in any other way, I think we tend to accept what we get! Certainly the second and third poops on a walk are always much softer/looser than the first for my current hound as for some of the rescue dogs of other breeds I have had, but all the dogs have been fit and healthy so it hasn't been a worry. I do think pick-up has a lot to do with the concerns and the stress over it all transfers to the hound and makes the situation worse. The subsequent vet trip increases the stress, the medication usually prescribed probably upsets the system still more and the vicious circle continues.

Sue from England

Guest Greensleeves

Ha! Finally!! Yes, I have LONG thought that the GT obsession with "perfect poop" was way, way over-the-top (and we're going back to discussions in 2000 when I first joined). The last straw for me was the photographic chart somebody posted of what dog poop "should" look like.

Here's the thing. Dogs, like humans, are mammals. Our diets are different (um, one might hope :lol), but the actual systems function pretty much the same. And, in humans, what's "normal" can vary dramatically--so I'm sure it's the same for dogs. I remember reading once that "normal" for humans can vary from going once or twice A WEEK to several times per day--and consistency can vary depending on diet, stress, etc.

I think the thing to remember is that there are far more important determinations about the quality of your dogs' food... than what it looks like coming OUT.

:lol

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg