Scooter Has A Suspicious Bump On The Rim Of His Eye

This was the email I sent my vet asking what she thought on the matter:

Scooter has a small hard black bump along black rim of his eye. You can't see it in this picture but to give you an idea where it is:

LA2007141rseye.jpg

It's a little bit larger than the tip of a ballpoint pen. It's not irritated looking or anything like that but it is sensitive when I touch it. Then again I am touching very close to his eye so that is understandable. :lol It's right along the black "eyeliner" of his eye near the corner where eye boogers (sorry, gross I know :P ) gather.

Well she is concerned enough that we have an appointment this afternoon to see her. Seems that black bumps are BAD and can be malignant melanomas but quickly reassured me that many black bumps are benign nothing's, however we wont know until we have it looked at and/ or removed. Some can even be cysts.

Send good thoughts Scooter's way today please. We have been very blessed and Scooter hardly ever has serious health issues. I'm nervous and trying not to freak out....... :ph34r

Edited by Jennifer

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodluck

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

:goodluck

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I've already told Jenn this, but I'll add it here - Susan had a little papilloma-type growth on the margin of one eye. It was black, and about 3-4 mm long, and it was a little round blob on a stalk.

The track vet looked at it and said that they do get these from time to time and they're harmless, and almost certainly a type of papilloma or wart. I asked him if it could be taken off when she was spayed, and he said yes, while she was under they could just 'nip it off' - but of course, she was never spayed... anyway, eventually, it fell off by itself.

Hopefully, Scooter's eye bump will prove to be the same. :goodluck

Oh, and I found this: Scooter's vet apparently mentioned melanoma -

Melanoma. Lid melanomas are usually superficial and benign. They occur most frequently in older dogs of heavily pigmented breeds. They are usually slow growing, may be multiple, and are cryosensitive.

Source

And this may also be comforting

Important differences in biologic behavior of these neoplasia exists between

the two species (dog and cat), with most primary canine ocular/periocular tumors having a

benign behavior, while most primary feline tumors are malignant.

Source 2

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

John E has had two malignant tumors removed from his eyelids. One upper lid, one lower. One was definitely clean margins, the other iffy. With clean margins, the likelyhood of re-occurance is small. Seems like you have caught it early enough, and when removed should be fine. Our other issue was that both times, John E was irritated by the stitches and wound up with corneal abrasions. The poor guy was in an e-collar for about 10 weeks straight.

Good luck to Scooter and we will be thinking good thoughts for him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Awww. Stella and I send good thoughts and prayers for Scooty :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I've already told Jenn this, but I'll add it here - Susan had a little papilloma-type growth on the margin of one eye. It was black, and about 3-4 mm long, and it was a little round blob on a stalk.

The track vet looked at it and said that they do get these from time to time and they're harmless, and almost certainly a type of papilloma or wart. I asked him if it could be taken off when she was spayed, and he said yes, while she was under they could just 'nip it off' - but of course, she was never spayed... anyway, eventually, it fell off by itself.

Hopefully, Scooter's eye bump will prove to be the same. :goodluck

Scooter's isn't like that though, it's within the rim of the eye, no stalk. :( (Of course I just told you this, but just so the others know :P )

Oh, and I found this: Scooter's vet apparently mentioned melanoma -

Melanoma. Lid melanomas are usually superficial and benign. They occur most frequently in older dogs of heavily pigmented breeds. They are usually slow growing, may be multiple, and are cryosensitive.

Source

That fits Scooter, he has very heavy pigment around his eyes. :nod

And this may also be comforting

Important differences in biologic behavior of these neoplasia exists between

the two species (dog and cat), with most primary canine ocular/periocular tumors having a

benign behavior, while most primary feline tumors are malignant.

Source 2

That is very comforting! Thanks for the info Judy! :bighug

JennScoot2.jpg

Sending prayers and gentle hugs too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Snowy8

That might be where he keeps his eye boogers for later, like a fannie pack or something.

Does this mean Scooter is going to have to stand AND walk?

I thought about him last night, someone wanted me to send them some pictures of Jack & everything I sent them, Jack was laying down & asleep.

I will keep you & the Scooterman in my prayers through out the day.

Sending good thoughts for The Scooterman :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thanks everyone. Scooter and I appreciate it. :grouphug

However, I have just been informed by my boss that I have to stay late at work today to close out the computer systems so they can do inventory. Tomorrow too. And my vet is off on Wednesday so Thursday is what we have been rescheduled to. :(

JennScoot2.jpg

Oh JFB that sucks, nothing like nice advance notice from your boss!!!

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.