Hobbes - Back At The Vet - Still Doing Better

Hobbes was doing so well recovering from the emergency last week but on Sunday afternoon we noticed he was starting to knuckle his foot and looked weaker when he walked. Yesterday morning he looked distressed and the fever returned. He was very unsteady walking and his appetite was off. Our vet came and picked him up and we spent several hours treating the fever & adding IV fluids.

After a dose of steroid, he perked up again which was what happened last week. She is convinced there is inflammation and swelling on the spine due to a tumor or Lymphocarsonoma. We have him back at home now but he looks tired, weak and just worn out. We are spending "quality" time with him now, spoiling him with whatever we can and just counting the days we have left.

My heart breaks to see him so tired. I've used this phrase before, but he is just a shadow of the goofy, loving, beautiful greyhound that has spent the last 10-1/2 years with us. We love him dearly and are now approaching the time when we must let him go. I can't believe I am typing this - at this time last week he was doing spectacular and was running in the yard with the other dogs.

Please keep us in your thoughts - I'm glad I have this forum to let out the anguish I am feeling at the turn of events for my precious boy. This decision is the worst to make in life.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending many hugs for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I went through this in January. I'm sorry you're faced with it now. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest zippsmum

We had exactly the same road with our zippy, and we had to make the decision last month. It is so difficult, but you'll know when the time has come, Hobbes will tell you. :grouphug to you and yours at this difficult time.

:grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Winterwish

Mary I'm so,so sorry Hobbes is in such a way. :( I can just imagine all the love he's surrounded with,you love him so,so much. I'm so sorry he's not doing better Mary. :grouphug:hope:gh_child:hope

:bighug :bighug

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Sending many prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Yesterday was a very good day for Hobbes. The steroid shot seems to have helped tremendously and he is on Prednisone twice a day for backup. His appetite is good and most importantly he is not knuckling his feet under when he walks - he even trotted a bit in the yard. Our vet has checked him and is amazed at how well he responded. It is possible that he had residual inflammation from the vascular event last week that was causing the fever and leg weakness - she is still researching the situation and trying to come up with the answers. We just don't know for sure what is happening to him and he could take a turn again at any time. (She really expected us to be bringing him back in again yesterday because he looked so bad on Monday.)

Yesterday was a beautiful fall like day. The house was calm and peaceful with Hobbes sleeping on his favorite beds, moving about the yard to his special spots and looking happy and content, not ill and uncomfortable as he has for several days. The dogs all settled around him and looked less stressed. I've been feeding him all his favorite foods & treats and spending lots of time just sitting with him. After all the heartache and tears, this day was a wonderful gift.

We are still going day-to-day not knowing how long this improvement will last, but whatever happens tomorrow, I will have the memories of these special days with him now.

Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. They have meant a great deal to me and my family.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy