Need Help

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

Trouble has had a history of cramping after running like a mad woman. Today was her first episode since we've been in FL. It's also probably been her worst.

Seqqui ran from the back of the yard and not fully charged her, but almost, but Trouble's screams of pain were that bad.

At any rate, you can see her muscles cramping all over her chest, neck, and shoulders. Her screamy yelps coincide with each cramp. Poor thing. :(

This is a video of her walk after. She had already walked, layed down and this is her up again.

Are there any supplements I'm not thinking of?

Guest LadyChester

Gatorade - the electrolytes will most likely solve the problem. I think Pedialyte does the same thing. If she won't drink it mix in a little water. I've actually made ice cubes out of it (won't help you immediately) and even if they don't want to drink the stuff they seem to like the ice cubes. Perhaps try different flavors, too. Good luck. I'm sure Cathy, Bill and Coach will have ideas from the racers.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Jen, Her booboo walk looks so pathetic :( It reminds me of Battle.

He's actually undergone acupuncture which has helped, but also a homeopath recommended a chinese herbal mixture (pill) called Plum Flower Brand - Free and Easy wanderer.

Here's the linky to what the bottle looks like.

After about 3 weeks of taking it, he really didn't show the cramping/back arching that he was prone to do when he cramped up.

Poor Trouble girl :( . Since you're with the Pros, do they have any suggestions?

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest GiJenn51

Thanks guys. I got a call from Daddy Bill after I spoke with Cathie, and he said calcium does great. And I'll be talking to the vet about acupuncture.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I used to give Frank a half a banana if he was crampy after running, I think the potassium helps; in any case he loved the banana! Hope she is feeling better.

Guest Winterwish

Oh my gosh Troublina, :gh_child:( Oh that hurts to see. Jenn,what about medication? I don't know anything about it but maybe something like metacam,an anti-inflammatory,to work for both pain relief,and to decrease the inflammation?

Guest GiJenn51

No clue, but after looking on other info sites, calcium actually helps the absorbtion of magnesium which takes care of cramps-- I gave her one of her multivitamins which have both!

If it's genuinely cramping (rather than being sore from getting hit -- couldn't tell from your OP), then things that help include:

- Warming up with some brisk walking and trotting before running hard

- Run a bit, come over for cookies, run a bit rather than running full out for the whole time

- When done running, keep her walking until the hardest panting stops, should be just a couple minutes

- Potassium (bananas or blackstrap molasses)

- Electrolytes

Multivitamin is probably better than a calcium supplement as it's balanced. A little snack of yogurt or ice cream wouldn't hurt, though. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OUch, poor pup.

It may take some manipulation of electrolyte balance, but pedialyte and gatorade are good options. maybe you could bring some for her to drink where she is running?

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Poor girly. We have something in common, remember all my posts about my muscle twitchiness in the bar :lol Potassium and Calcium were the doc suggested remedies for me too.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest Hokiebuck

My GH had a history of cramping at the track so his career was cut short. However, I race him in LGRA. The first race he cramped. I spoke with a bunch of people that race dogs (both amateur and professional) and have done the following. Now I can't exactly remember the biology of why, it gets very complicated, but I have not seen him cramp since.

-Electrolytes are not an issue. Dogs don't sweat so there is no loss of electrolytes.

-I give a calcium pill to him 2x a day (I think its 500 or 600mg, whatever they have in the stores for humans)

-He gets Vitamin E powder 1x a day

-The protein in his food is lower, somewhere in the 20g range (I feed nutro dental) Definitely don't feed the "high energy" food.

I'll have to look for it.

Awww poor girl! I know how bad those cramps are in humans, I can imagine how they must be for them. :( Fell better soon Troublina. :kiss2

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

You can also give Tums with Calcium. They have the calcium and magnesium and they are easier to chew up as they taste good. It is what we always give the patients at the hospital when they complain of "charlies horse" cramps. (also on a side note, it is ok for pregnant women to use as well. Just in case anyone is reading this :colgate )

Good Luck.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

-Electrolytes are not an issue. Dogs don't sweat so there is no loss of electrolytes.

Dogs do sweat. They just don't sweat through the surface of their skin as we do. They also urinate ......

I don't know that there's any value to giving that much calcium on a regular basis. There is no value to giving reduced-protein food and may be some harm.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm sure Bill, Cathy and Coach have all the products for you to try since they have the kennel

She really does look pretty dang soar :(

Calcium, Potasium, and Electrolights are the 3 things that come to mind.

To help her with her soarness right now I would check and see if the kennel can give you some Methocarb

(Robaxin)

it's a muscle relaxant and will help her to feel comfy quicker while you work on fixing the problem :)

I'm not sure how the heat is in FL right now but where he are it's pretty nasty and dogs tend to crap more in super hot or cold weather.

But you have a great resource to turn to with Bill, Cathy and Coach :)

Guest GiJenn51

Well Dr. Kenny!! Trouble hasn't had bananas, and she may have to try some today.

It has been in the 100s. She didn't get hit by another dog. She and her "sister" were running in the house, then I let them out to get some more room. They were doing zoomies, then would take a break, then zoomies-- you get the point. But even in NH she would cramp up after a short period of time.

Frankly, I should've told them both no more, but she hasn't had an episode for a while. Lesson learned though.

She's not quite 100% today, I can see she's off, but she's fine. I'll have to get her some nanas today though!!!

She is raw fed right? Maybe she needs her ratios adjusted. More bones = more calcium. More dairy (if she tolerates it) = more calcium.

Naners also are good (potassium). Not too much on the calcium obviously or her phosphorus could go out of whack. Good luck, she looks pretty miserable in the video.

First thing I thought of Jenn were electrolites. If you can get some Pedialite at the store, look in the baby section, it's just like water and put it in her water bowl it might help during this hot weather. Poor pups, mine know how she feels. They want to run but it's too hot to let them. They're building up so much energy that I expect a huge explosion in my house soon! Lord if the furniture is still standing after that I'll be amazed! :lol Poor girl, she looks absolutely miserable in the video. Give her a hug for me. That's not the Trouble I met at all!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SquanHound

My FIL suffers from leg cramps as he is on his feet all day. We just send him over a copy of an article that was in the paper this weekend which recommended eatting banannas (as previously noted) and also putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed. I checked it out online and there are plenty of people out there who swear by it. I wonder if you put it in the lining of her bed if she would try and get it out to eat it? If not, maybe give it a try. Sounds crazy I know, but its worth a shot if you think she will not bother it in her bed lining.