Butt Scritches = Weak Knees

Guest Heep

Hi All!

Here's some background info: P.Star is a healthy 6 year female grey, currently being treated with Strongid for hookworms.

The problem: When we give P.Star butt & flank scritches, she tends to get wobbly in the back legs & tries to sit down. She doesn't run from you, but backs up into you & tries to sit on your feet. At first we thought it was just one of her silly quirks, but then we noticed that she tries to run away or sit when you stroke the length of her body with a hound glove. She trembles when she pees too.

She's already been to the Vet (before we discovered this however), he felt her over & didn't notices any tenderness, weakness, or lameness. When called, the Vet just advised to "Keep an Eye on it", as there wasn't enough symptoms to waste $$$ on X-rays at this point. We've palpitated her backside, her back legs, & the lower part of her spine to see if she was tender, but we found nothing. Anyone else have experience with this?

No experience with this in my grey, but my sister's lab mix does the same thing and has for 10 years. If you scratch a certain place on her behind, her back legs collapse. She only has one spot, though. She doesn't do anything when you stroke her body.

Guest hamiesmom

Hiya, my 9yr old boy leg muscles tremble when he pees. Nothing to worry about. Also, there is an older gentleman, when we meet him on our walks, just loves on my boy and when my boy sees him, his tail does not stop wagging. This fellow does the butt scritch and runs his hands down his back, and he just melts into him and his lower lip quivers. My boy just loves those scritches. My boy is healthy, good muscle tone and very shiny coat.

Edited by hamiesmom

It's normal in my older boys in this house. They get all wobbly legged when you really find that sweet spot on their hiney. :lol

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest SillyDog
It's normal in my older boys in this house. They get all wobbly legged when you really find that sweet spot on their hiney. :lol

My 11 yr old does that, too. He's done it for as long as I've had him. Plus, his tail drifts to whatever side you're scritching on him. He looooooooves butt scritches! He just blisses out when I do them.

Jake used to have a sweet spot on his shoulder blades. He would get both of his back legs going and he would fall on his butt. :lol

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest SillyDog
Kara will somtimes sit when I scratch her butt (unless she starts "marching in place")

I'd love to see a video of that -- how cute!

Guest Greensleeves

Not to be the wet blanket here, but...

Hind end weakness (and collapse) when you rub a certain spot low on the spine can be an early symptom of Lumbosacral Stenosis. And, in fact, that's actually one of the diagnostic tools for the condition: the vet will press on the dog's spine between two vertebrae, and see if the dog sinks. Our Whistler was "accidentally" diagnosed that way--we had him at the vet for some lameness/limping, and she saw nothing on the X-rays. As we were walking out of the clinic, she happened to give him a really good rubdown--and when she hit "the spot," he just dropped. Her response: "Well, I think we found the problem."

Read here for more information.

Of course, it's entirely possible she's just being silly, but... it's worth looking into, just for peace of mind!

Yes, here too, hiney scritches = lowered back extremities! Sounds about right!

If it seems more than that, have it checked out to have piece or mind.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Not to be the wet blanket here, but...

Hind end weakness (and collapse) when you rub a certain spot low on the spine can be an early symptom of Lumbosacral Stenosis. And, in fact, that's actually one of the diagnostic tools for the condition: the vet will press on the dog's spine between two vertebrae, and see if the dog sinks. Our Whistler was "accidentally" diagnosed that way--we had him at the vet for some lameness/limping, and she saw nothing on the X-rays. As we were walking out of the clinic, she happened to give him a really good rubdown--and when she hit "the spot," he just dropped. Her response: "Well, I think we found the problem."

Read here for more information.

Of course, it's entirely possible she's just being silly, but... it's worth looking into, just for peace of mind!

Thanks Greensleeves, we'll will try the inbetween vertebrae test when she goes back for another worming in 2 weeks. The Vet felt her over, but I don't think he checked every disc.

I'm hoping she's just a goofball, but I worry about her health as the family that had her before us weren't as meticulous as we are (an understatement in my opinion, but no need to go into that here :angry:). Our bestest friends & greatest loves are only with us for such a short time, so how can we not do everything in our power to extend that time as much as possible?