Dremel Attachments Question

I've toyed with Dremeling the dogs' nails in the past, but have not really gotten serious about it. I tried it once with the 120 grit sanding band and sat there for what seemed like forever Dremeling Morgan's nails with very little results. After that I just went back to the nail clippers.

I have read the DoberDawn site with its instructions about what to use and what not to use, but I was hoping for some other suggestions as to what to use? I have a kit with all the attachments she says not to use. Should I really stay away from all those?

I'd really be interested to hear what works for those of you who Dremel. Thanks.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I use the recommended sanding band and find that it works great for my puppers. MUCH prefer to dremel over clipping. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I use the sanding band. It does look like it isn't doing much while I'm using it and I'm always surprised at how short I did get them when I'm done.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest bona60

Speaking from Dremel experience, I would stick with the sanding band you mentioned. I would not use the other grinding accessories that come with the kit. It's my understanding the grinding metal and other stones can cause overheating and discomfort for the hound. Perhaps you just need to use more pressure with the sanding band. When Monty sees the Dremel, he automaticaly lays on his back and lifts his first paw. Of course he associates the dremeling with a cookie reward. Sam

Coarser sanding band would get the job done faster. I use 60 grit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually bought some of the 60 grit over the weekend, but haven't had an opportunity to try them out yet. Now that I know some of you use that with good results, I will try it. I guess maybe I haven't been applying enough pressure too. I didn't want to hurt her, so I was pretty ginger when I tried it. I will give it another go. Thanks, guys!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Also, one thing that I found made it faster (or at least looked like it was grinding faster) is to first grind off the pointy tip, then do each of the sides on an angle, and then level it off again.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

yep, 60 grit sanding band here too. Don't use the stones, they get too hot to quickly.

I do a combo (when I neglect nails for a couple of weeks) I clip the point and then dremel them down.

Guest LolasMom

60 grit sanding band here too. Compared to how klutzy I was at clipping :unsure - my dremel is a dream come true.

I never messed with the other attachments; the lady that wrote the article had clearly done an unbelievable amount of trial and error testing herself.

I love my Dremel! I use the sanding band. Not sure what grit. I just do it every Sunday so they never get long, and it doesn't take long. George does not really enjoy it, but he tolerates it. I do it out on the balcony in hopes of annoying the Wicked Witch who lives in the condo beneath us who accused me of cruelty to animals for "keeping a big dog like that in an apartment."

Oy!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Winterwish

I love the dremel too and have done it for years with no problems ever. You'll really like it! One thing,as I bet you thought of already,is that in the doberman's nails are way shorter then the nails need or even should be,at least for my grey and many other greyhounds. :)

* Please be careful tho' that you don't get your shirt caught up in the drill if you're leaning over-- I did that once and almost lost a 'small part' of my body! :yikes

And also if you have long hair,best to tie it back too.

- It's not like the dremel has blades or anything,and the drill will stop in about 2 seconds if your shirt got caught in it,but you could still get hurt.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest PNWtrillium

About the amount of pressure, I've found that holding the nail lightly against the (turning) Dremel attachment can work better than moving the Dremel toward the nail. I just started a week or so ago and am very happy I did. I'm still experimenting and am pleased that Selena is patient with me!!! Lots of treats!

I use the 60 grit at first, then if I want to spend more time, I change to the 120 grit and go over the edges where I just ground so they aren't sharp (like around the outside of the U of a horseshoe, if we shod our dogs' toes!).

Guest greyfiend

I've been using the Dremel for the past 4 weeks on our newly adopted Greyhound. I know exactly the Doberman website you mean and she does an excellent job describing step by step. I initially used the 120 grit and got nowhere fast. Then I tried what I think is about an 80 grit and it works beautifully. I also find that my Greyhound is much more tolerant of the Dremel if he's laying down relaxing. To do all his claws takes me about 15-20 minutes because I'm being as aggressive as I can without touching the "quick". His nails were not tended to at the foster home and were really long. Here is the web address: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/