I'm Trying Not To Freak Out

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

but the dogs got into the pantry while we were gone and they ate some trail mix that had raisins in it. It was probably about a third of the bag and they ate it last night.

We discovered the empty bag this morning.

What do I need to do or watch for? They are both eating/drinking fine, no lethargy, no labored breathing or other signs of renal failure... but everything I read is making me more and more scared... :(

You could ask your vet but chances are good they'll be fine. Drinking more and peeing more, beyond a day or so, would be cause to go get a blood test.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just to make you feel a little better, some years back my parents' 40-lb whippet ate AN ENTIRE HUGE PLATEFUL of grapes and suffered no ill effects.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Well, if it's been over 12 hours, the stuff in the raisins is in their bloodstream by now since the digestive process of a dog avereages between 6 and 10 hours.

Just watch for signs of distress, but if it's a 10 ounce bag of trail mix, and only 3 ounces were left, I would doubt there would be much more than 1 ounce of raisins left.

Guest BooMooandDoo

Don't freak out. . . .they should be okay.

I have to admit :blush I used to give Tucker the raisins out of my trail mix. . .. before I knew any better. . . .

Guest tiegra

Sunny did this to me a while back.

Like you I was freaking out.

The only bad thing that came from it was what came out the exit.

Those were the worst looking and smelling poops I have seen. :puke

Hope they are okay.

You have my sympathy.

Dani

Jilly did this once. Helped herself to some trailmix. She was fine just the raisin peanut poop logs were a little off putting.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest charmsmom

You can also call Animal Poison Control. It's run by the ASPCA. There is an initial $55 charge for a consult, but if you have to call a second time, they don't charge you. It's great peace of mind and they tell you what symptoms to look for and if you should be worried. I had to call them after DH left out a Chocolate Slim-fast shake! :rolleyes:

1-888-426-4425 is the number. They assign you a case number and give you a direct line (toll-free) so if you DO have to call back, you can get through quicker.

I realize that recently there has been a lot of news about raisins being "toxic," but my father has fed raisins (and grapes!) to every dog we've ever had for his 77+ years of dog ownership--and not one of them has ever had any kind of reaction!

I am sure that if a dog ate a big box of raisins they might well get sick, but they never bothered any of our dogs in moderation. We no longer give the dogs raisins, but please don't freak out!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well both pups are fine, although I honestly think Sadie got the bulk of it... her poops at least were the ones filled with peanuts :rolleyes:

I would not have freaked so much had I been able to find specific information about breed/weight and amount of raisins ingested...

But again, they are both fine, just their happy mellow selves :)

Thanks for everyone's concern :)

Oh, and I have the number for the ASPCA Poison hotline on the fridge after JillysfullHouse posted about it last year. Very good thing to have I agree!

Hopefully, you won't have a repeat, but the grape entry on this list this list has some info.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)