Had Teeth Cleaned And Nails Cut Yesterday

Guest tigerlily

Guest tigerlily

and now this morning she is just laying around and wont eat and when she does get up it is so slow and she walks all humped over..they told me she did find during the procedure.. they did have to cut her nails down because the quicks were down to the ends, but they said they shouldnt bother her any ( i thought it would). does the medicine they use to put them to sleep cause them to be sore and stiff and not feeling good the next day? she came home last night and ate well and drank lots of water..went outside just to use the bathroom...didnt take her for walk as we figured she really wouldnt be up for that..but she acted way better last night than she does today..i am calling vets as soon as they open..but what do you all think..is this a delayed effect from being put to sleep doring the cleaning?

She could be sore and stiff from the positioning during her procedures. But, I have to say, if they quicked some of her nails, then she is going to be VERY SORE for several days! so when you call to consult, might want to ask about some pain meds for her.

Some anaesthetics can cause a bit of digestive distress the next day or two as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tigerlily
She could be sore and stiff from the positioning during her procedures. But, I have to say, if they quicked some of her nails, then she is going to be VERY SORE for several days! so when you call to consult, might want to ask about some pain meds for her.

Some anaesthetics can cause a bit of digestive distress the next day or two as well.

i called and she told me to try 11/2 coated aspirin no more than twice a day..or i could bring her in if i thought it was necessary..i got the aspirin down her so i will have to decide whether to take her before 11 oclock as they close at noon today.. i thought the nails would hurt her too but they keep acting like that isnt any big deal..it would be to me if my toenails were cut to the quick.. and i know in humans the anethesia can make you sore across the shoulders during some surgery..at least they told me i might be..i wasnt tho..i hope i am doing the right thing by waiting.. but i know i cant expect her to be running laps..i am just not used to her not hurrying over when the boloney comes out, and thats what i tried to give her her antibiotic in this morning and she didnt even want that.( that is her favorite treat) my poor baby..

Edited by tigerlily

Poor little sniglet. Hope she is feeling better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

All three of my girls have had dentals and were fine and eating the next day - even Kara after having 29 teeth extracted (long story for alter). But every dog is different. She might be "hung over" from the anesthesia, but not sore and stiff. If they quicked multiple nails, that could be why she's hurting.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Tenderhearts

Quicked nails can be very painful :(

Ever torn a fingernail really short to where your finger bled? I still shake my head at those who say that doesn't bother a dog. Some, it may not, but it's certainly reasonable to believe it does.

I'd suspect that is the source of her discomfort.

It also took a day or two for Lori Ann to recover from the effects of being under.

I'd say if she's hunched it's her nails hurting her, poor girl. :(

Yes, they do darn well hurt! The vet may just not realise the sensitivity of these dogs. Actually, it would hurt all dogs but some are better at hiding it than others, simple as that. The only other thing it might be is if they put something in her back out while she was under, but I think you'd know if it were that.

I hope she feels better soon.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest tigerlily

dont know how to add update at top..but she is doing so much better..still not back to her old self..but after i gave her the aspirin(they were coated) i got her to eat all her breakfast, and she has been walking around so much better..she looked so pitiful this morning i was really worried, but i think she is on the mend..by tomorrow the anthesia should be about out of her system and since they applied something to her nails to keep them from bleeding maybe they will be a little less sensitive by then too. i hope she isnt mad at me for getting her some pearly whites and a manicure.

she sure needed them..when we got her she had a lot of plaque and gingivitis..no cavities though, and my brushing just wasnt getting it. her nails were so long they scrunched her feet up when she walked..that couldnt have been comfortable..and we tried dremeling them to get the quicks to recess but that was going to take a long time to get them back where they needed to be. anyway sugie boogie is on the mend..:)