Poor Heather Needs Surgery

Guest needlenoselover

Guest needlenoselover

My poor, sweet baby brindle girl Heather will need surgery. This after getting abcesses in the same spot 4 times. At her spay incision. The infected tissue will need to be removed. The reason I am mad, is because the adoption group that I got her from, really the vet they use, did a pizz poor job of her spay!!!! The inside sutures haven't dissolved and are rubbing up againt the interior part of her skin, causing the abcesses. If this stupid vet had just done his job correctly in the first place, this wouldn't be needed!!!! Cheaper isn't always better!! Who cares if he gives you a discount because you bring all of your greyhounds there for shots and spay/neuter? It doesn't matter if he's not doing his job the right way!!! Now my baby needs to go under the knife, and I can't help but be mad. And worried and a nervous wreck!!!! Please keep our Hedder Fedder, as my kids call her, in your prayers that all goes well. And thanks for letting me rant!!!

Sorry to hear this. Is the vet who did the original surgery willing to offer you any compensation. You would think he should be held accountable.

Good wishes for Heather's surgery!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest needlenoselover
Sorry to hear this. Is the vet who did the original surgery willing to offer you any compensation. You would think he should be held accountable.

No, I don't think so. I contacted the adoption group when it first happened, and they just kind of said, awww that's ashame, but it's not the vets fault. I don't even know who it is to get in touch with them myself.

Guest KennelMom

A spay is major abdominal surgery...and sometimes the dog just doesn't heal right. Sometimes it's nothing the vet did wrong or neglectful, it just happens. This could be a freak occurance if the vet does all spays/neuters for the group and they are still using him. Groups operate on tight budgets and if a lot of dogs start requiring follow up surgery, the group would lose any benefit to reduced cost spays/neuters.

If you want to contact the original vet, why not just ask the group who it is? It's been on the paperwork for all our adopted dogs since the vet who does the S/N also does the vaccinations and the rabies certificate has the vet's name/number on it, so you may want to double check that.

I hope her second surgery is uneventful! :goodluck

No, I don't think so. I contacted the adoption group when it first happened, and they just kind of said, awww that's ashame, but it's not the vets fault. I don't even know who it is to get in touch with them myself.

And it actually may not be the vet's fault. Some dogs just have a bad reaction to the internal sutures. My own dog did after his neuter - actually, about 4 months after his neuter.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sending prayers for an uneventful surgery and swift recovery...soon this will all be behind you sweetie girly girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Actually my girl still has her internal sutures...several months after her spay. My friend's got is 10 and you can still feel her's too. For some reason some dogs just don't dissolve them. It's not necessarily the vet's fault. Mine got a teeny abcess but I was able to feel the suture that was causing the problem. It worked right out, still in a knot, and now her belly looks great. Here's hoping this surgery goes great, and your baby is back to normal soon after!

I can still feel something under Echo's skin where she was spayed nearly 5 years ago.

I have met dogs who are allergic to the dissolving sutures and thus, the incision never heals.. is that possibility?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Tigonie

My guess is that it isn't the vet's fault--your dog just happened to react badly. If the vet was really a quack, I'm sure the adoption group wouldn't continue to use that clinic, no matter how cheap they are. I'm so sorry your pupper isn't healing up!

I'd probably want to talk to the original vet, simply to get the details of what he or she did for the dog (e.g., what type of sutures were used, what antibiotic was the follow up, etc). That way, your current vet can more accurately avoid using treatments that duplicate the original problem. I think if you beat the bush by framing the situation in that light, the birds will fly out and you'll get the information you need.

I know the "mommy bear" instinct is kicking in to protect your baby, which is understandable, but I think you'll be able to help her more if you give the vet the benefit of the doubt.

ETA: Check in your adoption packet. Your spay certificate may have the vet's contact information.

Edited by Tigonie

Dissolving stitches should ALWAYS dissolve. If they don't, that means they are either defective or they are not dissolving stitches. With humans, you can sue, but when it comes to animals, malpractice is a lot harder to prove. Also, some vets just don't use dissolving stitches, as they are more expensive & technically not necessary.

I'm sorry your poor bebe has to go thru all this pain & suffering. Give her a kiss for me! I hope she feels better real soon!

John E got corneal abrasions, which are quite painful, after both of his eye surgeries. After the second surgery, Dr. Newman used silk thread with tiny, tiny knots and he still got irritation. Some dogs are just more reactive than others.

I am sorry that your dog has to go through another surgery.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest needlenoselover

Ok, just got back from the vet, again. Same practice, different doctor though. It was an appointment to see the surgeon before surgery. She looked at Heather and decided that she does NOT need usrgery after all. WHEW!!!!!! What a load off my mind!! She said sometimes when they do a spay, the stiches that they use can take up to 6 months to dissolve. She tried to get the interior stich out, because Heather has an open wound there already. But she couldn't get it. She also said that this could happen a few more times until it dissolves completely. And that Heather is just WAY more sensitive to the stich than "normal". She made a note in her chart about it too. So, no surgery!!! YEAH!!!!!

But, now, my question is, why didn't the other vet at the same practice come to the same conclusion? Oh well!!! She doesn't need surgery!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Guest Tigonie
But, now, my question is, why didn't the other vet at the same practice come to the same conclusion?

Because it's an opinion.

But horray on the good news! :clap