Allergies And Now.....

Guest Annieya

Guest Annieya

Fleas! @#$# things! Back story: DH and I just bought a house (our first!) which was formerly owned by a cat lady (she let them roam outside and come in as they/she felt the urge)...the house (all hardwood floors) was seriously infested with fleas (which we discovered after we moved in)...at first we thought it was the backyard (we live in Catville, USA) but have been forced to the conclusion, nope, it's indoors, too. We just got the Orkin guy in to spray and that has helped tremendously - unfortunately poor Pearson (who suffers seasonal allergies to begin with and takes antihistamines for it) seems to be allergic to fleas too...his coat makes him look like he's got mange right now, he's been scratching so much. When I questioned the vet how he could be so affected (we keep both dogs on a Frontline regimen), she let me in on her pet theory - some area's fleas just seem less responsive to the Frontline than others (and advised us switching to Advantix(?) in the near future).... Long story...long... My question: We've been putting fish oil capsules in his food twice a day and keeping him on his myriad of antihistamines, itch relief spray, etc.... is there anything else we can do to foster/stimulate hair growth (he's finally stopped really scratching now that the fleas are gone)....or is it really just a matter of time? Any thoughts? (Thanks!!!)

Don't know about the fleas, never had them. We are lucky. But I did put K9 Advantix on my grey (before camping) and she had a horrible reaction! SO SCARY! About 3 hours after putting it on her, she freaked out. Screaming, running in circles, biting at herself. I bathed her at 11pm and she was a bit better. I will never put it on her again. Now my Shepard has no problems with it. My grey is just more sensitive.

Sorry about the fleas! Our neighbors had them, yuck!

The Girls

Flea allergies are really common, unfortunately. You do need to watch out for tapeworms in your pup now.

Poor Pearson. :(

Fleas aren't as common here, but we have used Reveloution here.

As far as fur regrowth, I recommend Grizzly Salmon Oil as a supplement. I have used capsules and such with not much results but am blown away by Diesel's furry bum since being on the Grizzly.

You can get it online...I get mine at A Dog's Dream

Two of my puppers had a BAD reaction to Advantix, too. I'd suggest trying Sentinel.

Yeah, permethrin and greyhounds don't always mix. While some may do OK, I stay away from it.

Sorry you're having such a tough flea time, Andrea, but congrats on the new house!

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Annieya

Thanks for the ideas - Pearson has a routine (booster shot) vet appointment tomorrow so I'm going to ask about Sentinel then...as for the fleas, I'm relieved to report the Orkin man has done the trick (thankfully as we really do love the house aside from the wildlife that conveyed) but Pearson's skin is clearly going to take awhile to clear up (so I'll definitely be looking to substitute his capsules with the Grizzly Salmon juice.. :-) ). Appreciate both the sympathy, well-wishes and ideas on how to help poor mangy Pearson.

Andrea

(P.S. The really weird part - when I took Pearson to the vet, she 'combed' him out to take a look at what was in his fur - there was no flea dirt, no fleas... while I have spotted a few fleas on him at random times in the recent past, it's like they weren't really feeding or breeding which I'm confused by.... so the Frontline kind of worked....?)