More Eating Woes

I have been reading Flake's thread (and copying ideas), but I had a couple of questions and didn't want to highjack.

Sugar is still being extremely picky. Her digoxen test came back low-normal, so it's not that. I am starting her on Pepcid tonight, and have stocked up on some of the alternatives mentioned in the other thread (one each :lol ).

I have two problems, however. Hand feeding her won't work, even after 4 years, she won't take anything from my hand. I am going to try putting the food on people plates, do you think she would like my grandmother's Limoges wedding china? :rolleyes:

My other problem is Fletcher, who, even in the good old days, finished eating light years before Sugar. He hangs around, waiting for her leftovers, which, if I am not watching carefully, a "leftover" is defined as anything not currently in her mouth! He's gotten better lately, as I have had to pick up her food and offer something else, but he still lurks. I may try shutting him in another room, but I don't see that going well, does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks! Jan

Guest TBSFlame

I wouldn't shut him in another roon with the door closed. I would babygate or crate him. Mem eats slower that the others so I always feed her in her crate. When Schmoo (grand dog) is over I always babygate her in another room.

When Survey first came home I put her in the kitchen and the others in the dining room and literally stood betwwn them until Survey "got it". It was a pain sometimes, inconvenient sometimes, but it worked. Now she just comes into the family room when she is finished and waits for the others so they can go out.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest Greensleeves

I always put Flint outside while Nelly (and formerly Whistler) eats, and I had to hover over Whistler to make sure Nelly didn't sneak up on his bowl. I just always found it easier to physically restrain one dog while the picky dog ate.

If, however, the sound of a dog angry at being restrained distracts the picky dog, you may just have to *hold* him back. Do you have any other humans in your household who can help you?

No, no help, just me! He wouldn't be angry, just upset at being left out! If it gets bad, I can put him in the backyard, but so far he seems to understand, something...? Anyway, he's not as pushy as he used to be, so maybe it will be ok. I feed the cats first, so, unless there is an outbreak of picky cat crap, I can concentrate on the dogs. Tonight I tried a new kind of kibble, and she ate it! We'll see how long that lasts :lol