Thunderphobia

Guest Winterwish

Poor babe :( .

The thing I worry about is overheating. (Also panicking and trying to escape, but none of mine do that.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wish I knew Mary. All four of mine, even spooky girl, have no fear of storms, motorcycles, fireworks,

nothing. They live in a much different environment than Dreamer does though. I hope you can find something that works to calm him. I feel so bad for both of you.

Don't know about Xanax.

Benadryl is safe for most dogs and 25-50mg might take the edge off.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's probably alllllllllllllllllll worn out. Hopefully he will have a nice nap and awake all refreshed and unfrightened.

[Does anyone know if I should I call my brother to have him bring me a xanax for him? He offered to do that. Would that be okay? That's what I was going to get a prescription for,or at least ask about it.

I'm not a vet & don't know if I would give a med to my dog without seeing a vet, but I have 2 friends who have used xanax on very thunderphobic dogs successfully. Didn't zone them out but made them relaxed enough. Both were/are older with other health problems. If he's that bad, I'd take him to another vet.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Tootsie stresses so much I feel very bad for her. Interesting (I've moved to ace for her), I give her half a pill, turn on the CD and the other day she stood in front of it, listening. I think by the time the drug kicks in the CD is on and equates the CD with feeling good :lol

Actually Toots panics. I've had mild thunderphobic dogs--they pace and pant a bit and get over it. For Pablo I use the combination Bach flowers the vet made up and it works for him.

Vet told me to get Valarian root extract at Whole Foods and try that instead of the ace.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest KyGrey

You can also give human melatonin. I have done that with Lee and it helps him if storms get too bad. Luckily the t-shirt is usually all he needs.

Dreamer :grouphug :grouphug

Mary, I can really feel for you and Dreamer. Hobbes also has very bad thunderphobia and fear of fireworks and it can be very scary watching the stress and fear they are experiencing. I too have worried about him having a heartattack. His panting, and pacing, and rapid heartbeat is very hard to observe without fearing the worst. Benadryl has not worked for Hobbes and due to his sensitivity to medication we have to be careful what we give him. What has helped is running a floor fan on low speed a few feet away from his bed with it blowing on his face. This seems to cool him down and relieve some of the stress (for whatever reason) and calms him until the storm passes.

I wish I could offer more suggestions to you - this is a very upsetting problem for you. Please give Dreamer a hug for me and also one for yourself. I know how much you care for your beautiful boy.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Geez Mary...I'm so sorry! Poor little Dreamer...it's so hard when you can't seem to help them :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Oh dear boy. Our Kingsley is scared of storms, but not to the extent of Dreamer. I too would panic at having to watch him so filled with fear.

I am glad he is sleeping now, and hope the Dr can recommend something that will really help you both!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Poor sweet Dreamer. I know Jack is getting more upset by storms as he gets older where he never used to be bothered. I have no advice as I'm new at this but do give that sweet boy a kiss when he wakes up. We have storms coming tonight so I'll be up with Jack. Jilly will be snoring.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytexplorer

Winterwish, are you in Brooklyn? b/c I saw on CNN that big tree which squashed a truck. :yike

We see that stuff in the South all the time, but I understand it's very uncommon in the NYC area.

Poor Dreamer. My Ester is thunderphobic, too. I guess if the heart is racing for an extended period of time, and the pup is elderly---yeah I guess s/he probably could have a heart attack. Never thought of that. Might ask your vet when you see him and ask. And tell me, too!

Melatonin did not work for Ester.

Benadryl does pretty well for her. She's 65 lbs so I give her 75 mg (dosage=1mg per pound) that's 3 capsules or tablets.

I like the idea of putting the fan near the dog, for 2 reasons---cools them down, and WHITE NOISE! I also leave on the tv (but shut down/unplug the 'puter)

I'm scared of using ace. I've heard that the dog becomes loopy and can't walk straight. What if dog falls down and breaks leg? :( sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me. But, that's just me.

If your A/C breaks down, take Dreamer and find a/c somewhere else. Like the PetSmart or Pet Supermarket, or your church, the vet's office, or a friend's house that does have a/c.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest SusanP

Sometimes it takes a good brisk walk outside after a storm to convince my Zippy it's over. Of course, she's reluctant to go out...but on leash she's more willing. Exercises out all that stress.

I've worried about her heart giving out the way it pounds, she shakes and pants, too. We notice a tiny bit of improvement--willingness to at least lie down eventually, with alprazolam. She likes to curl up in a small, dark place, like the end of a hallway with the doors shut. It alll helps only a tiny bit.

We watch the weather radar online like hawks so we can medicate her ahead of time and get her out potty beforehand.

Hugs!

Sending many calming prayers for Dreamer. :grouphug I can relate...LaceyLaine is so afraid and it seems nothing calms her down.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I bought a DAP to help with Jesse's fear of thunder and fireworks. So far it really seems to be helping. The idiot a few doors down lights off a couple of bottle rockets every few days. Yesterday Jesse didn't even stop wagging and ate his cookie. Big accomplishment for him. It might be worth a try.

Guest K9_Lady

Mary, I am hoping that Dreamer is still resting! Lots of good suggestions given. :grouphug I know how hard it can be to just watch them Pant and Pace and not being able to calm them down. Try a damp cool rag to wipe down his head and paws too. Thinking of you and keep us informed...