Ghost Walking/tracing

Guest patemarie

Guest patemarie

My greyhound Sugar has begun exhibiting behavior that others have described as "ghost walking" or "tracing". She'll get up in the early morning hours with her usual "got to go potty" stance at which time I'll get up and let her out. She'll wander into the living room/dining area and will pace back and forth appearing to be looking for something and seemingly is alert. She eventually will go outside to go potty or at least I think that is what she is doing as I don't go out with her (fence in back yard).

Has anyone experienced this with their grey and if so, is there any danger to this, will it progress into something more, should she see a vet?

So far it all seems pretty harmless but it is apparent that she "isn't herself". Thanks for any advice or suggestions from those who have experienced this.

Patti

Guest patemarie

So it's trancing. Well, she isn't standing underneath anything when she does it as she usually has just gotten up from her bed. But it is a trance like state she's in. I'm not going to worry about it unless it develops into something more dangerous. It's just odd behavior and has just begun in the last month or so.

Guest taylorsmom

I am very interested in what others have to say about this as well, because it sounds like something both of my greyhounds have done from time to time. Rita has definitely done it more than Taylor, and it sounds similar to what you described, Patti--she gets up and goes into "want to go out to potty" mode, stands by the back door and paces, whines a little, etc. I let her out and watch her and she does not potty, she goes straight to the gate door, like she is getting ready to go out for a walk, and just looks back at me expectantly like--well, aren't you coming? She seems alert but not quite herself--it never occurred to me that maybe this is sleepwalking??! Usually I just take her by the collar and lead her back to bed and she just goes back to sleep. But now I am curious if this is something other people's greyhounds do too? And like you said, is it something to be concerned about?

Sounds pretty normal to me :D

This is trancing. Eliza would also do it under the table cloth and in the clothes in the closet (yes, I shut her in there a time or two :lol )

355ElizatrGT.jpg

Verrry intereshting... :lol

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I don't know if it's the same thing, but Onyx does something similar. It's always occurs coming out of a sleep. She wants to go out, but doesn't remember how to use the dog door. She has trouble doing steps, like she can't remember. But she's alert and awake. She knows her name, recognizes her leash, etc. These episodes last about 1/2 hour.

I brought her to a neurologist to have checked out. Nothing wrong. He says that with everything else ruled out, he's calling them very mild seisures. They don't happen often enough to put her on any meds.

Guest smarthound

We used to call them track dreams. Hubbard would wake up during the night and act as if he didn't know where he was. He'd pace and whine like he needed to go out but didn't know what to do. When we led him to the stairs to go down and out, he'd act like he didn't know what stairs were. We'd lead him down the stairs and outside where he would stand and look around as if he were lost. Eventually we'd take him back inside and he'd settle down and go to sleep.

We were never able to find anything physically wrong that would indicate a neurological problem. The "sleep walking" lasted Hubbard's entire life (11 years) but lessened as he grew older.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul does it all the time. Just all of a sudden gets up and wanders around like he is confused :unsure

I especially like it when he notices something that has always been there as if it is new. Especially when he noticed the said object as if it was new just a few days prior :lol

Love the fern fro pic!

Guest zaylagrey

Bella did this just last night. How odd I would find it on here! So I guess this is somewhat normal? I just think it's like sleep walking. She get's up wanting out of the bedroom at 3 am, this in itself is odd. I get up to let her out and she walks all over the house, in each room like she doesn't know where she is. The whole time bobbing her head, investigating things. I finally held her and talked to her, giving her kisses and rubs and she seemed to come out of it a little. She did finally go out, but again wasn't sure which way to go. She's done this about a half dozen times in the 3 years we've had her.

I'm glad to know this isn't an isolated thing.

~julie

How long has Sugar been off the track?

If she's pretty new to home life, it's possible she's still on the track schedule, with turnouts every 6 hours. (Don't know if this is universal to all greyhounds at the kennel.)

Minerva has episodes where she's like this, except she's not zoned out- it's just as if she has to go do her business, which she sometimes does. Normally she just bounds outside and looks for cats! This will continue for a few weeks or months, and then back to sleeping all through the night. Then back to the 3 AM wakeup calls.

Sometimes I think it's because they get to sleep all day, they don't have the need for 7-8 hours of contiguous sleep like the chimps that walk and feed them. "Oh BOY! 3 AM! I get to go outside and chase cats!"

Hoooboy.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Because of this phenomenon, I have not had a full night's sleep since I adopted my greyhounds. Both get up and pace about in the middle of the night. Sometimes they even go downstairs and walk around the house for a few minutes. It often occurs around 4 am--track time. I guess that's when their trainers got them up and ready for the track.