Fleas - Aaaccckkk

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

So, I posted about a good source for Frontline yesterday and today I find flea dirt on Duke. There seemed to be just a few on him so I gave him a bath with his regular shampoo and then got four paws flea shampoo. Just finished up - I hope I got them all but there's always the ones hanging out around where he sleeps.

We won't have our Frontline supply unitl 17th. I really don't want to give him another pesticide bath - you know? Anything I can do in the interim?

Guest Gideon

No, we threw it in the washer - hot cylce a bunch of vinegar (his bed was a little funky anyway). Running it through another washcycle as I type this.

Guest greybookends

You should be able to get some Capstar at any pet store. It is a quick temperary fix for fleas. It is a pill that will start killing fleas almost instantly. We use it in emergencies when we get returns that have not had any preventatives and are infested.

You should be able to get some Capstar at any pet store. It is a quick temperary fix for fleas. It is a pill that will start killing fleas almost instantly. We use it in emergencies when we get returns that have not had any preventatives and are infested.

Good idea. Also, if you are concerned, do you know of any GH or pet owners in the area that could spot you a frontline and you could replace it when your order comes in?

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

I'm waiting for my flea stuff too, and spotted one on Romi - the people on my raw list are advocating DE for fleas, which really appeals to me. I've just started researching it, and I will let you know how it goes if I end up trying it.

Diatomaceous earth

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I second the Capstar idea. That and Program are all I use these days! It's good stuff.

The race kennel where we got Renie from uses it after race nights in case there are fleas at the track (they don't live there, so they're using 'public' kennels while they're racing) and it prevents them bringing home an infestation because it works so fast! :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Many good pet supply stores will carry Advantage which is really better for fleas in my opinion than Frontline. You don't need a prescription to buy Advantage.

:nod

Get some Adams spray and spray bedding, furniture, etc. It works and smells really good. You could also use it on him for the errant flea if you want to wait for the Frontline.

Ann is right, if you don't have ticks Advantage works waaayyy better on fleas.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Oh_Greyt

Many vets will sell you single doses of Frontline as well, although you may pay a bit more for it that way. But it's worth your pup not being miserable with fleas - and we're only talking about a dollar or two.

Many good pet supply stores will carry Advantage which is really better for fleas in my opinion than Frontline. You don't need a prescription to buy Advantage.

:nod

Get some Adams spray and spray bedding, furniture, etc. It works and smells really good. You could also use it on him for the errant flea if you want to wait for the Frontline.

Ann is right, if you don't have ticks Advantage works waaayyy better on fleas.

Yuppers.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest 2Greys2luv

Someone at my dental office said that people were having trouble with Frontline this year, so I called my vet. They said the same thing and recommened that I get Advantage. Isn't it the same active ingredient?

Guest BlackandBrindle

When I thought Sadie and Spud had been exposed to fleas, I ordered frontline online, but bought two doses from my vet in the interim... worth the $40 for peace of mind ;)

Guest KennelMom

:nod I do prefer Advantage for fleas. I also always keep Capstar in the house. If I ever see a flea on any dog, everyone gets capstar'd immediately.

Guest Gideon

I gave him a loooonnnngggg bath yesterday with Four Paws flea shampoo. I followed the directions exactly - even left the shampoo in for a few minutes extra. Once we got him dry - still seeing fleas.

So I broke down and got Frontline Plus today from Petco. With an order of it on the way too. So I spent full price on this batch and have the discounted batch on the way.

At least the fleas will be dead soon.

No ticks but fleas = Advantage by a mile

All the Adams stuff is really good and all I use except for Advantage as no ticks in this neighborhood. I am almost afraid to say that after our recent cleansing I am sort of growing attached to the smell of the Adams spray.... :ph34r...sorta like new car smell :lol

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg