Digoxin

Sugar started taking digoxin last week, for her heart, and I think she is not reacting well to it. The Dr told me she would have to have a blood test after 7 days (she started on Thursday) because the dosage often has to be adjusted. She has gotten to be a pickier eater in the last year, but it is an occasional thing. Since Friday, she has shown no interest in food, except for the treats that hide her pills. Through a combination of coaxing, changing the food, not changing the food :rolleyes: , I have gotten her to eat at least part of her meals, but this is definitly a change from her previous behavior. She has also thrown up a couple of times, just water/bile. Otherwise, she seems ok.

I have a call into the cardiologist, and an appointment with our regular vet tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with this drug and it's side effects? Thanks

Nadia is on digoxin as well as Enalapril for dilated cardiomyopathy. She's also a picky eater and has shown the same lack of interest in food (although no vomiting) from time to time especially when she first started on the meds. For what it's worth, she seems to prefer kibble with a stronger smell. Pro Plan Selects salmon and brown rice is the current favorite (and she eats that with gusto).

I looked back over Nadia's discharge instructions from when she was first diagnosed and put on digoxin (three years ago). They indicate to call if there was a change in appetite or vomiting.

Nadia get blood tests every six months to determine and if necessary adjust her digoxin dosage.

Hope this info helps.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Same with Pearl when she first started. They cut the dose a bit and she improved. THe blood tests showed that although her dig was a smidge low, it was still ok.

So they stuck with the lower dose.

She eats great now. Has been on pills for over 4 yrs now.

(yes, she sees her cardiologist on a regular basis, we have a checkup tomorrow in fact)

double check with your vet about the optimal time to draw blood after she gets her dose. I work in a lab and I know that it needs to be at least 8 hours after the dose or the level shown isn't accurate.

good luck

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

double check with your vet about the optimal time to draw blood after she gets her dose. I work in a lab and I know that it needs to be at least 8 hours after the dose or the level shown isn't accurate.

good luck

Do the tests vary? My vet has always said 6 to 8 hours.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)