Rash

Guest SillyDog

Guest SillyDog

Both Carly & Prancer have a skin rash. I've taken Prancer to our vet twice - once to get an initial diagnosis and the second time to get more antibiotics and to rule out demodex. Now Carly has the same rash, so I'm taking both in again this am.

Here's Pancer's:

One his front left leg near his dewclaw:

DSCN0184.jpg

For perspective:

DSCN0185.jpg

2nd site on his right back paw, outside:

DSCN0186.jpg

Carly's rash on her left elbow:

DSCN0187.jpg

For perspecitve:

DSCN0188.jpg

The vet thinks it's a bacterial skin infection, but since both have it now, I'm wondering if it's fungal. Not necessarily ring-worm, but some other fungal thing.

Any ideas?

Guest KennelMom

My first thought was ringworm...Our cats had it and that's what it looked like. Not sure what it would look like in dogs though

Edited by KennelMom

Guest SillyDog

Well, our vet still thinks it's bacterial because Prancer's has improved 50% since he's been on the Cephlaxin. So, unless these things get worse or don't go away, they'll both be on cephlaxin.

We had a real scare, though, this am. Prancer's 11-ish and has been under the weather since starting the cephlaxin. He's been having some trouble eating all his food and just seems more tired & sore than usual. Well, I have to tranquilize him to go to the vet because he tries to stand up the whole way and that exhausts him. So, for the first time today I gave him one of his Xanax we got just for this sort of thing. Within an hour of taking it (2 mg) he was completely uncoordinated -- he was barely able to walk, get up, lay down. I put on this lamb's wool- lined harness I have and used it to help him get around when we left for the vet. I was really scared because I thought it was possible he might have had a stroke just after I gave him the Xanax. Well, it turns out 2 mg of Xanax is waaaaay too much for him. The vet said it's really hard to get the dosage right because each dog's metabolism is different. He gets only 1 mg from now on. He should be back to himself around 8-9 pm tonight. In the meantime I have a VERY stoned dog.

Guest SillyDog
Get some carafate for his stomach if the antibiotic can't be changed. Do you know if he tolerates clavamox?

Sending prayers to stoned doggy

Thank you! He's taking Pepcid for his stomach now. If he continues to be off his food I'll ask the vet for carafate. I don't know if he would tolerate Clavamox or not. With both of them on cephlaxin we might be seeing some extraordinary pooping, though. I'll ask the vet about Clavamox in the future.

And Mr. Stoned doggie is just within the last few minutes (he woke up from a nap) doing MUCH better. He can walk on flat surfaces on his own again. I'll still be holding onto to him when we do stairs or hills. I really don't want him to hurt himself! He's my guy. :wub::inlove