Bloodwork Results

Guest adriahna

Guest adriahna

Howdy, folks -

Well, I just got a call from the vet's office, after taking Brick and Desi in for their vaccination updates, bloodwork, etc... and he told me that Desi's liver and kidney results were "a little high". I am not sure exactly what this meant, and should have been able to ask exactly what this entails, but she is due to go back in a month for a second test.

I am concerned, of course - her results have always come back as normal, and I'm just a bit worried about her. Is there anything specific that I should be asking or doing in the meantime, before her test in a month? She's 10 years old, with no other chronic issues.

Thanks, everyone. :unsure

By "a little high" did he mean by greyhound normals or for dogs in general? Here's a link to Dr. Stack's article on greyhound blood values

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest adriahna

Okay... I hope I have the info that can help, here.

The vet said that as far as the kidneys go, they test for creatinine - Desi's level was 2.2.

As well, for liver, total bilirubin is what they go by - Desi's was 1.

Hopefully this helps - again, thanks for the good word. This is completely new territory for me, and I want the best for my girlie.

From Dr. Stack's article:

Creatinine

Greyhounds: .8 - 1.6

Other dogs: .0 - 1.0

Greyhound creatinines run higher than other breeds as a function of their large lean muscle mass. A study at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine found that 80% of retired greyhounds they sampled had creatinine values up to 1.6 times as high as the top of the standard reference range for "other dogs." As a lone finding, an "elevated creatinine" is not indicative of impending kidney failure. If the BUN and urinalysis are normal, so is the "elevated" creatinine.

...greyhound urinalysis is the same as other breeds. It is normal for males to have small to moderate amounts of bilirubin in the urine.

I'm not a vet, so I won't try to diagmose. What does your vet suspect, if anything?

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Guest adriahna

Thanks so much.

No specific suspicions - just that they want her back in after 30 days, to see if anything changes... other than this matter, the vet was very much aware of greyhound idiosyncracies, anesthesia and all that. I have no issues with bringing Desi back in at the beginning of September, but may print out some info about the raised levels, if possible.

That's a good idea to do the follow up blood work. The creatinine of 2.2 seems high even for a greyhound.

Edited by MarcR

Regardless of normal greyhound results, if you have these tests done regularly, and this is an increase from the past, I too would follow up in a month. A "normal" range is just that - a range for a point of reference. Each dog has their own "normal" value and it sounds like your dog is not within his own normal. Is it something to worry about? Can't say, but definitely worth watching.

Creatinine

Greyhound creatinines run higher than other breeds as a function of their large lean muscle mass. A study at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine found that 80% of retired greyhounds they sampled had creatinine values up to 1.6 times as high as the top of the standard reference range for "other dogs." As a lone finding, an "elevated creatinine" is not indicative of impending kidney failure. If the BUN and urinalysis are normal, so is the "elevated" creatinine.

...greyhound urinalysis is the same as other breeds. It is normal for males to have small to moderate amounts of bilirubin in the urine.

I'm not a vet, so I won't try to diagmose. What does your vet suspect, if anything?

Remember not to take these blood values as gospel! The commercial lab we use has normal thyroid levels of 0.5-2.0 for ANY breed of dog... so a creatinine of 2.2 in a Greyhound at our lab would be perfectly in line with their normal levels.

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...y%20Failure.pdf

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

There have been lots of greyhounds with an elevated creatine and a normal BUN and that for them, is normal. I've had several where the BUN was also a little elevated and it comes down after a dental. Make sure the teeth are in good shape!

I have emailed Dr. Feeman's papers to several and if anyone else wants them, email me at Burpdog@msn.com

I have given a set to all my vets :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

As Dr. Feeman says, different labs have different scales. B's creatinine always ran a little high. That was normal for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Creatinine

Remember not to take these blood values as gospel! The commercial lab we use has normal thyroid levels of 0.5-2.0 for ANY breed of dog... so a creatinine of 2.2 in a Greyhound at our lab would be perfectly in line with their normal levels.

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...y%20Failure.pdf

And that's why this should probably have one of those "Don't try this at home." warnings :)

Hi! My dog has high creatinine, even for a Greyhound. My vet did urine tests, and she said that they rule out a serious problem, and that the creatinine is probably actually normal for my dog.

Your case is a bit different--George's values have been high since I got him, and you said your dog's tests were always normal before.

You need to test the urine specific gravity and also whatever else they look for! My vet says if the urine tests are normal, then the high value is probably nothing to be overly concerned about.

Best wishes,

Susan and uninsurable George!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest adriahna

Thanks again, everyone.

I will be taking a urine sample along for her follow-up appointment - I figured that couldn't hurt, and hearing the suggestion to do so here only confirms my decision. I'll keep you all updated when we get the results in.

Again - THANKS SO MUCH!