Sonny

SonnyNCarmsMom

Sonny crossed the Rainbow Bridge last Saturday, July 28. He would have been 11 in November.

Sonny survived a lot. After racing for quite a few years, he retired to his owners' home, where he had grown up as a puppy, only to be rehomed when the neighbors complained. (I think they had 13 greys).

Sonny came to us in 2001, when he was 4 years old.

He didn't really like to run in the backyard--unless there was competition! Nothing he liked better. He was about as loyal as a dog can get, if unchangeably determined to make sure no one but family was allowed in our house! I remember fondly the time we kept him and Carm gated in our tiled front hall, sleeping on their beds, where he would invariably scare the bejesus out of anyone who had the audacity to ring the doorbell--the front door was glass, so they would get quite a scare!

May I say "thank you" Sonny that while you left some bruises, broken watches, and torn shirts on a handful of visitors, you never drew blood or increased our homeowner's premium. That by itself was a miracle. I don't know if God forgot to tell you that you were not a German Shephard, but we loved you anyway!

I remember seeing someone on TV who described their bridge baby as: "Bad Dog. Good Friend." Well, buddy, let's not pull punches--that was you! Whether it was cat litter or baby diapers, you were eating it! :) Let's not forget the time you tore up my time card, after my first week of work as a temp. Or the numerous times you busted your tail and splattered blood all over our house. I still find tiny dots of it on picture frames. (Sorry for the graphic detail, but I've got to honor this dude for all he was, and I would like to think he was proud of his mischief). What else? Oh, the peeing in the house, just for fun, randomly. Your misadventures in obedience, where you would freeze up in public and not even eat a hot dog.

But how nice you were on a leash! And we loved to take you to those Mardi Gras parades and show you off, and at Meet and Greets--as mean as you could be at home, you were a doll in public. And of course you put up with a ton of stuff from our dear skinkid Tommy. We know, he owes you a lot of cookies in heaven. (Tommy fed Sonny an entire bag of homemade cookies right before we took him to the vet one last time).

Speaking of which--you made friends everywhere you went! You had a way of bonding with people at the vet. They told us what you did--shake and shake when we dropped you off, then turn into an affable lug once we left!

Sonny survived being temporarily displaced to our in-laws while we lived in an apartment between homes--more than he should have had to endure, but he made friends there, and loved running with their grey as well. It took us a while to bond again when we were reunited, but it happened, and we love you.

You were the most stoic creature I ever met, running around like a crazy dog, barking at the neighbors right up until the end--until last Saturday, when your lymph nodes grew dramatically over night, you didn't run in the back yard, and didn't bark. Up until then, you had defied the odds, and acted like a crazy dog even with huge chest lymph nodes to where the tech thought you wouldn't have been able to breathe!

You survied a tail amputation, thanks to the i-dots at that boarding place in LA--I'm so sorry about that, buddy. And getting your spleen removed a year and a half ago, you survived that! I'm sorry the chemo didn't work, but I'm glad you were happy up until the end, and ate all those cookies that Tommy gave you--you deserved them! You certainly got your fair share of treats and meats in your last few months! What else can I say, buddy? I loved to watch you run, and compete.

My lasting memory of you is that you just couldn't be anything but first out the door--you had this insatiable zest to compete and get out there first. But, you were just a big couch potato at heart. You were a bad dog, but about the best friend ever!

Run free, banana boy! We love you so much.

Angel Sonny aka Whistlin Bill, 62314; Carmella aka Eg Rain Dust, 81693

Plus Boudreaux, Calzone & Hops the cats, Katie & Tony the humans and our Terrific Skinkids Tommy and Jimmy

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...Oscar Wilde

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for so vividly sharing his life with us via your fond memories. I'm very sorry for your loss.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Just one more thing...a picture that says more than I ever could...

post-628-1186347989_thumb.jpg

Angel Sonny aka Whistlin Bill, 62314; Carmella aka Eg Rain Dust, 81693

Plus Boudreaux, Calzone & Hops the cats, Katie & Tony the humans and our Terrific Skinkids Tommy and Jimmy

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...Oscar Wilde

:grouphug I am so sorry for your loss.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Run free Sweetheart. You are loved and missed. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry you lost your Sonny. :grouphug I remember your old siggie... Carm chasing Sonny and just loved it. Godspeed, precious boy... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry. what a wonderful tribute to Sonny, I feel like I met him.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Such a great tribute...

Sorry for your loss.... :grouphug for you

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest how888

Oh no!! I am so very sorry. May your great memories comfort you and know he is just a rainbow away til we all meet n greet one more time........... Godspeed Sonny..

I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer -- what a character he was! :wub:

Go stir up some trouble over the bridge, Sonny. Nobody ever said it had to be quiet there. Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.