E-collars

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

My girls got into a scuffle last night and one has a small cut near the inner corner of her eye. It bled like a stuck pig because she was pawing at it (we were out to dinner.. of course)

I have an E-collar on her and she's hating it.

A friend offered me a new one of these for free.. Would this work to stop her from pawing at her eye?

LINKY

Guest Snowy8

You might also put a baby sock on her hind feet that she's using to scratch her face with...that way a toenail doesn't pull on the boo boo.

I've never seen one of those before! I wonder if a greyhounds legs are long enough to get around it. I know some of mine have really long legs and that would be useless for us. I've had two that have had small cuts around their eyes and I just kept putting antibiotic cream on them and scolding them when I saw them messing with it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest argolola

Greys are so smart. We just went through this with Lola after her eye surgery. The doctor told us they can get up on something like the corner or a bed, blanket, chair, etc. and rub the eye.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Guest greyhounder
You might also put a baby sock on her hind feet that she's using to scratch her face with...that way a toenail doesn't pull on the boo boo.

She's using her front paw.. I was thinking of vetwrapping her dew claw too..

She's such a sensitive girl.. she's really freaked out by all this

Guest wilsontrixie

what a really cool idea.

but i don't think it would work for the scratching....hip licking maybe but i'm pretty sure my boy could get his foot around it or like argolola said...still rub against something

Guest Greensleeves

We've also had members who've said their dogs will *eat* the stuffed collars.

As awful as the E-collars are, they're really often the best bet. I know when mine have had to have them, they've been so miserable and distracted by the collar that they forget about the injury....

Oooh! I've never seen one of those before either! Can you borrow it and let us know how it works? Please?

Pilgrim's huge surgery for an apparently tiny lump was on her back, and she totally freaked in a traditional Ecollar. After consulting here, I raced out and got her a bite-not, which worked very well for that particular incision.

I have to say this version looks fantastic for certain injuries. . . and I'd really like to know if it works!

Also, I'm a bit freaky about eye injuries and close to the eye injuries on the grounds that a tiny nothing in the eye area can turn into a major something. This is probably just a tiny nick, but are you checking it out with your usual vet in regular office hours. Just asking . . . having not seen your hound's nick in real life.

Best wishes,

Gillian, Catwalk and Pilgrim

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

As awful as the E-collars are, they're really often the best bet. I know when mine have had to have them, they've been so miserable and distracted by the collar that they forget about the injury....

Wish I could say the same. Only one of mine needed an e-collar. It terrified her and she could still reach to lick her wound.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)